Will a Hasselblad V body (e.g., 503) work with a non-Hasselblad lens?

Previous topic - Next topic

Duffphotographer

Howdo all,

I'm looking to buy into the Hasselblad V system (probably a 503) with a digi' back (and film), mainly due to cheaper cost than the H system.

I have a Schneider apo-digitar which I'd like to adapt to the V body (easy enough to do for me). However, I was wondering if the camera would work with the lens. It's obviously a leaf shutter lens so am thinking that the PC to PC sync cord would do the job. Is this the case?

The worst case scenario is I'd have to operate the lens and camera independently of each other so is the camera able to take a photo without, effectively, a lens attached?

I haven't bought a Hasselblad V yet and am new to the system so please forgive any naivety in the post.

Cheers,
Duff

PNWMF

What do you currently have your Schneider mounted to?  You may want to consider a tech cam (Cambo, etc) setup more so than a V system.  At least then you can mix and match the mounts of things - a H, V, Mamiya, etc - pretty easy.

Duffphotographer

Quote from: PNWMF on August 05, 2014, 05:57:52 AM
What do you currently have your Schneider mounted to?  You may want to consider a tech cam (Cambo, etc) setup more so than a V system.  At least then you can mix and match the mounts of things - a H, V, Mamiya, etc - pretty easy.

Thank for the reply. :)

The Schneider (120mm macro apo-dig) is attached to a Nikon mount although the mount merely acts as a lensboard so can be easily detached. It's used for both my Plaubel Digital view camera (studio macro work) and 35mm Nikon (field work). I do have an old Hasselblad lens mount that can easily be adapted to take the Schneider.

My reasoning for asking "can the Schneider can be used with the Hasselblad" is that I'm dissatisfied with the quality of 35mm digital for the macro field work I do - I made the leap from medium format film to 35mm digital in thinking that the quality would be the same. Sadly, 35mm digital, while superior to 35mm film (largely), is relatively flat and lacks the 3D effect and tonality of MF film/digital and certainly nowhere near what I was getting with my old Contax 645/120mm macro set-up. Unfortunately I sold off my Contax gear a while ago so am turning to Hasselblad to make amends.

Obviously I could get one of the Zeiss 120mm macros but if I can save several hundred £/$/Euros by successfully using the Schneider with say a 503 body then that would be the way I go for me.

Duffphotographer

Howdo all,

I have since found out that the V body can be operated independently of a lens attached, so all good.

Cheers,
DP