let's dream for a moment that money would not be an object....

Previous topic - Next topic

Domip

A very fine map, drawings, etches, subtal aquarel painting, old painting with craquelure, Silvery...

Dustbak

PeterDorr

WOW, great demo today from Philippe van Hest from Pro-Spirit.
I had my H4D-40 where he brought a H4D-60, a H5D-50MS and a H5D-200MS to demonstrate the differences.

He spend a good 4 hours talking me through the differences and most of all, shoot identical sets with different camera's.
So to build on the outcome...

My H4D-40 - Still a very, very good camera. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
The H5D-50MS in H5D-50 mode - Great camera, a bit sharper the my H4D-40. If it was not for the MS mode this camera would not add too much for me
The H5D-50MS in Multishoot mode - Completely blew me away! Very enhanced shaprness, esp on the hairs and other thin things. Next to that a much better and fuller color experience. So this was a "huge" step difference
The H5D-200MS in Multishoot mode - Minor improvement over 50MS. Interesting if you shoot for billboards etc
The H4D-60 - Could not really convince me. Not as sharp nor as rich as the 50 in MS mode. I found it almost impossible to find difference/improvement in color.

So the verdict.....
I will dive into the cost for the 50MS.
Great camera, a real step up.
Now find that hidden pile of cash around here :-)

grtz

2 images attached, 1 full size 1:1 and one heavy crop for detailled view

Domip

Waaaw ! Engelse drop... :D

Toon eens het verschil tussen 50MS en 200MS; Ik zie Philippe vrijdag...

Show us the difference between 50MS & 200MS, a detail is ok.

PeterDorr

sorry, don't have a 200MS shot
According to Philippe the quality is the same only a (serious) bit bigger

Say Hi to Filippe pls

PeterDorr

For those who are interested....

I have zipped some of the images of today's test shoot to give you a look on what we have done so you can compare yourself.
Nop, nothing has been edited and none of the images have "any commercial value", it was all for test purposes  8).
The file names indicate the type of camera we used and the kind of shot we took and all images are saved as 8 bit TIFF's

http://www.fotoclubsoest.nl/50ms.zip
It's 1.2 Gb, so have a coffee while downloading....

Curious to hear your thoughts.

ps. @ Domip. If you are test shooting as well, would you mind creating me a few 50MS vs 200MS shot of some scenes pls for comparison?

Alex

Thanks Pete, it's really good to see all these cameras using the same comparison image, so thanks for the exhaustive test

I'm glad that you have found the (50MS) one for you (for the moment  ;)); it's truly amazing what they can do!

I missed your earlier post about posting in choice of subject matter but am really glad you stuck in those roses especially the light pink one as they really show how the sensors deal with very saturated colours in the highlights.

Cheers

PeterDorr

Quote from: Dalex on August 08, 2013, 03:16:59 AM
I'm glad that you have found the (50MS) one for you (for the moment  ;)); it's truly amazing what they can do!
....but am really glad you stuck in those roses especially the light pink one as they really show how the sensors deal with very saturated colours in the highlights.

Well nothing changes quicker than a human being called Peter Dorr :-)

- I am currently even leaning more towards the 200MS. The price difference is (as a % ::)) not so huge, so why not take the extra feature just in case you need it.
It might help me to get a few higher paid assignments.
Ok and next to that, I just love to have the 200MP images, they are sooo crisp.

- And honor to those that deserve it. I did not shoot the roses. Those images were actually provided by Philippe as a reference. And indeed they look fab, that's why I included them.

BTW. really happy to see that someone really DL-ed the file. It was quite an effort to get them all up. Glad you enjoyed them

Alex

Just an idea but a last test you could do to help best decide the direction of your $ usage: I think I remember you saying that as yet you still had to try out the new MkII 50mm  -  Hold that comparison of the 50 & 200 in your head and do a test between your current 35, 50, 80, 100, 120 lenses and try out the MKII 50mm as well as the 35-90mm & MKII 120mm - on your 40 body - you might well gain more from the sharper lenses resolving more detail on the 50MS than the 200 making a bigger file but not seeing as much (young eyes through premium glasses vs old eyes through a smudgey telescope).

PeterDorr

Thanks Dalex for your suggestion.

And because my 35-90 is in repair, I received a 50mm II for loan and I used that one plus my 120 mm II exclusively for the shots.
So I compared apples to apples in that sense.
The one thing I did not test was my H4D-40 with a I version lens vs a II version lens. Frankly just did not occur to me at all....

Keep you posted

sudarshanchari

Hi Peter,

Off topic a bit here, but I noticed that you have a H4D 40. I have been considering upgrading from my h3d 39 to the h4d 40 and remember
reading somewhere on this forum that someone had issues with the contrast levels of the 40 sensor due to the use of microlenses. Have
you faced any problems with that, and any issues with the H4D 40 in general? I'm definitely interested in the longer exposure and at least
one stop of added light sensitivity. any feedback would be appreciated.

regards,

Sudarshan Chari

PeterDorr

Hi Sudarshan,

I already answered you iin a mail on June 18th with the text below...

Sorry for the late reply, I was travelling a lot lately.
As far as trading concerned, I decided to wait a while untill the H5D was tested and reviewed as "significantly better" then the H4D
So far all I hear is....nice feautures, but identical image quality.
So upgrading for such a big amount is something still not in the near future

As far as the H4D-40.
I just LOVE it.
It is a great studio camera, although sometime a bit quirky (reboots or unexpected behaviour) but nothing that could not be solved with a switch on/off activity.

Outside however is a completely different story.
I once shot at around 4 degrees celcius which was clearly too hard for the H4D. All images were distorted and useless.

The images up to 800 are indeed very useable although I prefer to stay at 200/400 max, but I am just very sensitive to that.
Once you get the hang of it, every shot is perfect.
I trust the step up from the H3D to the H4D should not be too hard for you. I think it is very worth it.

My suggestion would be to just rent an H4D for a day and shoot the hell out of it to find the difference.
So that's my story

In case you want to see some pictures, here is my Facebook page for the H4D
https://www.facebook.com/HasselbladShowcases

Regards,
Peter

ps. You may have noticed that I wil go to the 50MS or 200 MS from the new H5D

sudarshanchari

Love your old metal factory series. Beautifully lit and composed. I do wish I could get my hands on a h4d40 before buying one. Unfortunately no dealer in my city and I doubt the only dealer in the country has one to demo. So, I will have to rely on feedback from photographers on the forum, which so far has only been you. So, thanks again for taking the time. I doubt I will be using the camera in subzero temperatures or past iso 400. I do need a very usable iso 400 and would be quite happy with that.i am a little worried about the 1.3 crop ratio, but I guess I can get used to that. Plan on picking up the 28mm to replace my 35mm. I already have an 80, 120 and the 150.

Regards,
Sudarshan Chari

NickT

I have an H4D40 alongside a 31 and have found it to be a very good performer (in studio in my case). The files are cleaner than those from the 31 and the high ISO performance is much better.
BTW I think the 28 is a MUCH better lense than the 35.
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano