Sensor cleaning, weather protection & aux shutter protection

Previous topic - Next topic

Anamika163

Hi,
I'm a new Hasselblad user. '503CWD CVF II'. The camera sensor caught moisture and fungus and had to be sent to Sweden and got it replaced. Now the same thing is starting to happen, spotting on the sensor. I live in a hillstation and its damp and rainy here. I've packed it and kept it in a dry place. Any idea how I can clean the sensor myself?
Also, the company has provided a protection cover for the digital back so i've used that now. But the body i.e. the auxillary shutter part remains exposed. Will it get damaged? Is there a protection cover available for that? If so where can I get it?
Please help me out :(
Thank you all so much in advance!!
Anamika

NickT

Hi Anamika
You can't really clean the sensor yourself as it is behind a protective filter. The filter itself is very fragile and you risk damaging the sensor. humidity and the resulting mould is indeed a problem with digital backs I can only suggest using silica gel and perhaps keeping the back in a sealed case/plastic bag to try and keep it dry.
There is indeed a plastic cover that fits the back of the camera I assume your dealer could source it for you? I don't think you really need it however, it's really just used to protect the auxillary shutter from physical damage.

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Living 500 metres from the ocean, I keep my gear in a dehumidifier cabinet. Compared to a trip back to Sweden, they are cheap.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Photòr

Hi Anamika, maybe you have already the solution now.

Anyway I had similar problem having my studio in a very wet area (85% of humidity). The solution I applied is a big Pelikan Case (that resist to humidity) + rechargeable silica gel like suggested by NickT (very easy to fund in the States, but also abroad on Ebay) + an igromether to check the level of humidity.

All my stuff: lenses, camera and flashes live happy at about 60% of humidity. No fungus.

Remember to check the igrometer and recharge the silica gel wehn needed.

All the best

Matteo

Matteo
Matteo
www.photor.it