H4D -40 in hot weather?

Previous topic - Next topic

sudarshanchari

hi ,

i am considering picking up a new/used hasselblad h4d 40. I currently use a h3d 39 and have shifted from studio to outdoor photography.
the conditions are pretty humid and the temperatures can easily soar above 35C. I have been noticing a lot of noise in my images and
most of the images shot outdoors in the heat are practically unusable. In the studio however, the h3d 39 performs extremely well.
Most of my work in the future will involve shooting outdoors and hand held at most times, requiring me to up the iso at times, making
the h4d 40 the right tool to work with. I however, am definitely concerned about noise and other issues working at higher ambient temperatures.
any information from h4d 40 shooters, specially those working on landscapes would be really helpful.

thanks,

sudarshan chari

rsmphoto

check my reply on flexframe...

desertdiver

Hi Sudarshan,

just pm'd you.

Regards

KeithL

Guys, I'd love to know if there is an issue with heat.

Can we keep the answers on list please, for the benefit of all of us.

Thanks.

rsmphoto

Quote from: KeithL on June 13, 2013, 09:46:51 PM

Thanks.

Sure.  From my post on Flexframe, though it doesn't address the heat question directly...

"Just a thought... and it may be sacrilegious to mention another brand here, but
I had to shoot a big job outside in brutal conditions this winter in Canada
(driving sleet, rain, snow) and didn't want risk using my H3DII-39 for obvious
reasons, so I bought a barely used S2 which is built like a tank, completely
impervious to "weather," and takes H lenses with the H to S adapter. Worked
like a charm, felt MUCH better than the H handheld, batteries lasted forever -
even in the cold. For me, it was absolutely the right choice for the job. I
suspect it would fare well in hot, humid conditions as well.

Richard"

desertdiver

Quote from: KeithL on June 13, 2013, 09:46:51 PM

Thanks.

No problem... I have been answering the OP's pm before I noticed that same question here on the public forum.

I am using an H4D50 and a CFV50 on my desert trips while temperatures range from 35 up to more than 50 degrees. The equipment is never switched on longer than necessary, i.e. even if there are breaks for a few minutes only it is being switched off and stored in shadow areas. Due to high levels of light used ISO values are always below ISO100.

Following these precautions I never faced a problem.

From my point of view the 'enemy' number one is dust, i.e. lens changes are done exclusively in my car with closed doors and the equipment is stored in peli cases when not used.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Udo

Richard Naismith

Used my H4D-50 in India in September last year for about 2 weeks. Temperatures were 30 to 40 degrees. No problems whatsoever. The conditions were not as demanding as the user who took his camera to the desert, but still were quite exceptional. Very humid and dusty.

iaent

I am planning to use the Hassy I plan to buy in the north part of India where temp goes upto 48degC in summers. I am sure there won't be any problem.