H3D22 FireWire recommendations

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl_ Keeley

Hi all, this is my first post here.
I'm new to Hasselblad and very excited to have stepped back into MF digital.

I've bought a used H3D ww to dip my toe so to speak.

Of course I've grabbed a FireWire cable off a hard drive to test my new gear and uh oh - normal plugs are too fat.

Can anyone recommend a FireWire cable that will fit? Right angle 5m ish preferred.
I'll tether to a MacBook Pro and Phous in studio.
I'm located in Melbourne Australia. But Internet purchase is fine too.

Thanks in advance!

NickT

G'Day Carl and welcome.
Many here myself included have shaved down the fat plugs with a sharp knife to fit, this can be an advantage as in ensures a snug fit. Failing that I've had good success ordering from Granitedigital.com.

In the studio I use a 30cm lightweight cable to an unpowered hub and a heavy 10 metre cable from there to the MacPro, this is to remove the load put on the firwewire port by the heavy cable (The cable has those ferrite beads on the ends).
Hope that helps
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Carl_ Keeley

Thanks Nick, so it's out with the craft knife then :-)
It does feel a bit wrong but I'll try it.

Am I right in thinking that if the tether does come loose I'll get an error or lock up in the camera - thinking I've read that somewhere?

I shoot mostly beauty and fashion so there will be quite a lot of movement through focus and recompose.
Any tips on how to keep the teether secure? I have seen a lot of homemade lead keepers made from wire and rubber bands - again a bit low tech  but they seem to work

NickT

If the tether comes out while a file is transferring then you'll corrupt that file and yes probably lock up the camera/software. Otherwise yanking the cable is just fine and will just mean you are untethered for a bit :)

I think it's really important to protect the firewire socket on the camera, you could look at something like this:

http://www.tetherlock.com/Site/Altman_Media_Digital.html

I have also seen a solution where a clamp was attached to the two threaded sockets under the little slide cover on the side of the camera, might even have been posted here, I'll see if I can find it.
Cheers
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Carl_ Keeley

Oh that looks great - can I buy Teether Lock here in Australia or on the Internet (the site says no?)

Does the brand of Fire Wire cable matter? I'm happy to buy the best if I get great usage out of it.
I see also Hassellblad does their own - any thoughts?