H3D firmware nightmare...help! - RESOLVED!!

Previous topic - Next topic

jimgolden

Hello all - connected my H3D22 to my work station today and it asked for a firmware upgrade. unplugged camera, removed lens and viewfinder. Prompt asked if the body was H2F - hit cancel or no (can't remember which it said) and then nothing happened. Reattached items and camera is now "frozen". Body wont power the back. Function on the grip is slow, can't make exposure. Then when tethered, the back works and the camera won't capture. Switched to backup for the shoot, now trouble shooting. any thoughts? firmware says "1.0.1" and under it "15.0.0". meanwhile, camera is down : (

jimgolden

also - no info on grip from back and body will only show Manual exposure mode. AF is not working as well

NickT

Jim
That sounds like a mangled firmware update. Interesting that the software thought it was seeing an H2F... First off check the contacts between back and body for dirt damage, then try a firmware update: Press and hold the IAA button then plug in the firewire with Flexcolour running. That should force a firmware update.
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

jimgolden

thx nick. I've tried the forced firmware update - it times out. I've got Per Holk from Hassie USA involved, seems like he's a bit stumped too. My H3D was a H2D upgrade, so maybe thats why there was some confusion during update - but I've never had an issue before. Body is draining batteries left and right as well...I've got a bunch of work on the books too, totally lame timing.

grandguru

Go into the Flexcolor folder (view package contents on a Mac) and locate resources/firmware/combined.hbf. Copy, DO NOT drag and drop the file to a location (desktop) outside the program. Start Flexcolor, connect the camera, go to 'Maintenance' in Flexcolor and select H-system upgrade. When it asks go to the combined.hbf file you copied and select it, it should now complete the upgrade process.
Good luck!

jimgolden

hey all - I spent about an hour on the phone with Paul Claesson (h-USA) and he got me up and running!! Took a while to get the camera into service and boot mode, but once there we downgraded firmware to 4.8.3 and that got the ball rolling, then did the 4.8.6 upgrade. Paul is great on tech support. thx for the input - I tried above methods, but camera wasn't recognized...Paul said my camera set a new record for being stubborn...