Color Readings within Phocus?

Previous topic - Next topic

RodneyStart

When taking color readings off an X-Rite chart using the Picker tool, what profile does the Phocus use? Is the one that has been selected in the OUTPUT PREVIEW Tab?
We are exporting 16bit TIFF ProPhoto files, which look good in Phocus but are coming out dark and muddy looking in Photoshop CS5.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,
Rodney

Douglas Fairbank @ Classic V

Input profile is 'Hasselblad RGB', different input profiles can be selected however this is perhaps a little misleading as the software will show profiles stored on your computer that are from images than Phocus wil not import. It would be best to leave this unchanged.
Output profile is selectable in the Export, Output Preset, Edit window and it would be good to check that the output profile selected there matches your native Photoshop profile, Adobe RGB (1998) for example.

I am not sure if that answers your question though.
Owner of Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras. www.classicv.co.uk

NickT

Hi Rodney
I suspect the problem lies in your Photoshop colour settings (Cmnd/shift K), check that embedded profiles are being preserved, I suspect they are either being ignored or another profile assumed.

As an aside I'm not a huge fan of profoto RGB as you are editing colours you cannot see on any monitor, check colorsync utility to see what I mean.
Regards
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Isn't the same true of Adobe RGB, Nick? I always thought that using ProPhoto was an insurance policy for when we may be able to see more.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

RodneyStart

Thanks guys for your comments.

As it turns out, I had the INPUT values being displayed instead of the OUTPUT values. So no matter what EXPORT profile I chose, the values being shown remained the Hasselblad RGB.
Another setting that was suggested to use is the Lab values, which remain the same across platforms and profiles, so I'm lead to believe.

The images that I'm now getting out of Phocus are looking good in Photoshop without having drastic adjustments.

Thanks again.

Rodney
Museum Victoria