Mysterious Object inside 50-110mm Lens?

Previous topic - Next topic

qimis

Hello,

Finally got to join the MFDB family, just received the H4D-50, 35, and 50-110 taking advantage of the recent promo on their site. Got a few questions regarding the camera, is it normal that a new camera comes with 80 actuations, was wondering if it was from factory's QC tests? (Answered here: http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php/topic,2558.0.html)  :) I also found a mysterious object inside the 50-110 lens after doing some focus/zoom test, looks like a swirled cut of paper/metal. The dealer suggest they'll send it back to the factory, I'm looking forward to hear and see Hasselblad's solution. I was wondering if anyone had seen this object inside their lens?

Len

Greg

Len,

Congratulations on your new H4D50.  It is perfectly normal to have that many actuations on your camera.  Your are correct that they were a result of testing at the factory before shipping.  However, the object found in your lens looks, to me, like a metal cutting from a lathe.  Many years ago I worked at a steel mill to work my way through college, and the cuttings from a lathe look exactly what I am seeing in your photo.  It looks like the lens needs to go back to NJ to have it removed.  It might not have been visible prior to coming to you, but it may have worked loose during shipping.  You will love your camera.

Good luck,

Greg   

Douglas Fairbank @ Classic V

I believe that is a small scrap of a soft sealing rubber/plastic tape that is used on one of the lens mount threads. It should not be there of course but be assured that it can do no harm as it is, your Hasselblad agent would be happy to get it out.
Owner of Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras. www.classicv.co.uk

Greg

Thanks Douglas.  Your theory is much more plausible than mine given your knowledge and experience.

Greg

qimis

Thanks Greg and Douglas! Yes, it seems to be the scrap from rubber/plastic tape inside the lens. Got the lens traded for a new one today, looking forward to try it out tomorrow. :)

Paul Claesson

Len

Congratulations on your new acquisition and welcome to the Hasselblad family.
Yes, it is normal for a new camera to have up to 100 captures on it, these are captured at the factory during the Final Test and quality control phase.
I see that Douglas has already provided feedback regarding the lens.

Paul Claesson
Orbitvu USA
Former Hasselblad Employee