LightRoom is going Tehtered !

Previous topic - Next topic

fotografz

Installed and running just dandy.

Not as fast as Phocus for bursts. How that will work with the H5 remains to be seen since compressed RAW and Jpg are options and would seem to promise increased loading speed.

No Multi-Shot support (which is understandable) ... so the notion that Phocus will be replaced is not likely anytime soon.

Finer specific controls for some things in Phocus ... however, for some shoots LR may be the better choice, especially if using another camera that features a LR tethered option so all files are in one library.

I like that I can instantly show portrait clients some preset options in a non-distructive manner.

Great option!

-Marc

peterbkk

Quote from: Douglas Fairbank on September 15, 2012, 03:31:13 AM

First we added Hasselblad Lens Profiles to Lightroom®, then we embedded our Natural Colour Technology for Lightroom® processing for our 3F/3FR RAW files, and now, Hasselblad brings you a tethered solution with the Lightroom® 4 tether plug-in.

How does the correction made by the lens profiles in LightRoom compare with the DAC in Phocus?

Regards
Peter

Douglas Fairbank @ Classic V

I think there may have been a problem with the link, it can be found on the Hasselblad website under the 'Promotions' link and titled 'Adobe Bundle Tethered'.
Owner of Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras. www.classicv.co.uk

jeffbnz

hmm, just tried LR with our H3d - gotta say, as much as I love LR, it wasn't a patch on Phocus in terms o usability and quality. Was dissapointed how slow the images are to come up on screen compared to Phocus, and I still think Phocus has a better colour engine/adjustments etc.

Still, I wouldn't use anything buy LR for our Canons but will stick with Phocus for the Hassy

Just my 2 cents worth :)

meshuggener

i think the same jeff, even if i'm a big LR user, Phocus still faster to show images. Maybe it's only a question of updating LR soon.
www.matantoniassi.com
www.facebook.com/matantoniassi

peterbkk

Quote from: jeffbnz on October 11, 2012, 03:01:55 PM
I still think Phocus has a better colour engine/adjustments etc.

Do we have any real evidence of this better colour engine?  I don't mind some slowness but I don't want to give up quality for the convenience of doing everything in LR.

Regards
Peter

Drchevalier

FWIW,

I did a macro class recently and used my H4D-40 tethered to LR 4.2 as one of my instructional aids, projecting the LR screen onto the large screen for the students to see.  I found that the overall usability of having a single tool for tethering does the job well for me, but I also find that Lightroom tethered performance, looks just like Lightroom tethered performance with any of my other cameras.  Whether I shoot with the Canon 1Dx or the Hasselblad, display of the image in Lightroom is very slow.  I understand that this is because Lightroom NEVER uses the JPEG that is embedded in the RAW files (and presuming that the 3FR format does this, most other RAW formats do - that we can see an image on the back of the camera implies that there is an embedded JPEG).

Certainly for the Canons, image rendition is much faster in Photo Mechanic than in Lightroom.  I wish the good people at DxO Optics had modules for Hasselblad as their DNG converter is the best I have ever seen.

I did see many comments that Phocus has better colour control than Lightroom.  As I do most everything in Lightroom and have been quite happy with it, would other members who have used both please care to elaborate on the differences that they see to help educate me?

Thank you kindly,

Ross

NickT

Hi All
I think the colour from Phocus *is* better but by how much I couldn't say, it's certainly not a night and day difference..

The other thing you will miss in lightroom  is the full lens corrections Ross you'll especially notice this if you get an HTS the distortion corrections are amazing.

As others have said the speed is disappointing, lightroom taking around 7 seconds to display the image on my Mac Pro, I'd be interested to hear of more recent hardware shows an improvement on this as I am using lightroom more and more these days..

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Drchevalier

Thanks Nick, I appreciate the guidance, especially as my HTS 1.5 will arrive this week.

The only way to improve LR performance will be by using faster CPUs.  Basically it creates a full preview render when you look at the photo and this is time consuming rather than using the embedded JPEG.  One workaround is to have Lightroom make full size previews on import but this makes the import process definitely a go for lunch scenario, and you also have to modify the preference that discards full size previews after a certain time period has passed.  I will now ensure that I have the most recent version of Phocus installed.

Ross

yongsikshin

Quote from: NickT on November 20, 2012, 08:49:28 AM
Hi All
I think the colour from Phocus *is* better but by how much I couldn't say, it's certainly not a night and day difference..

The other thing you will miss in lightroom  is the full lens corrections Ross you'll especially notice this if you get an HTS the distortion corrections are amazing.

As others have said the speed is disappointing, lightroom taking around 7 seconds to display the image on my Mac Pro, I'd be interested to hear of more recent hardware shows an improvement on this as I am using lightroom more and more these days..

Nick-T

I have tried tethering H4D-50 to MacBook Pro Retina with 2.7GHz i7/8GB RAM/ running 10.8.2. Phocus is lightening fast, but LR is still slow. Maybe 4-5sec for the images to show. 'suppose it's OK for still-life but no go for beauty-portrait jobs.

yongsikshin

Quote from: NickT on November 20, 2012, 08:49:28 AM
Hi All

Nick-T

Of course I used thunderbolt-FW 800 adapter for tethering. Still wondering why HQ doesn't want thunderbolt nor USB3.0 for the main connection. one more additional socket on the link board wouldn't hurt, IMO...

Drchevalier

The Lightroom rendition time issue is that Lightroom renders a full size preview when a tethered image gets captured instead of using the JPEG that is embedded in the RAW file.  Pretty much all other software uses the embedded JPEG for the preview rather than doing a unique render. 

I've spoken to the folks at Adobe about this and while they agree that some don't like the performance, they assert that a properly rendered image is more valuable.

Ross

bdp

I am a long-time LR user and shoot a lot of food. I have never been totally satisfied with the colours that LR produces, even with obsessive tweaking and custom profile making. The main thing LR fails at, colour-wise, is the subtle separations in warm tones. This happens a lot in food. I'm talking about where yellow changes to brown on a pie crust, for example. LR 'mashes' all these tones together, but Phocus is brilliant at producing a very pleasing difference between the shades of brown/orange that are very predominant in food.

In fact I have tried files in Capture One and other medium format software (eg Sinar) over the years, and they all seem to do well, so it must be a characteristic of LR's colour engine. It's not good. Here is an example. Yes, it's just chips (fries) in a bun, a set up shot for a burger I was shooting. First file processed in LR and the second one in Phocus. I tried really hard to match the colour in LR that Phocus nailed straight away, but couldn't get it. The main area I see it in this picture is the browned edges of the chips in the shadows. See how the Phocus file goes from a nice yellow to a golden brown at the edges of the chips but the LR file renders the golden part as a  very flat looking brown. No amount of tweaking of the HSL sliders can bring this back to a golden tone. I see this time and time again in food. So I won't be using LR unless I shoot on a DSLR from now on. Go Phocus!

Ben

peterbkk

Quote from: bdp on December 04, 2012, 09:30:49 PM
I am a long-time LR user and shoot a lot of food. I have never been totally satisfied with the colours that LR produces, even with obsessive tweaking and custom profile making. The main thing LR fails at, colour-wise, is the subtle separations in warm tones. This happens a lot in food. I'm talking about where yellow changes to brown on a pie crust, for example. LR 'mashes' all these tones together, but Phocus is brilliant at producing a very pleasing difference between the shades of brown/orange that are very predominant in food.

Go Phocus!

There is a significant difference.  The color is quite a bit better on the Phocus image.  But also the exposure range is better.

I asked my daughter which one looks yummier and she picked the Phocus one, so that proves it...

Regards
Peter

bdp

That's good - glad it's not just my eyes! I even processed the LR one a tad warmer and a few points more magenta to give it as much help as possible to match the warmer shadows of the Phocus version but it still failed.

Ben