Has anyone used Macbook Air w Phocus to View/ Process fff files?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacephoto

I am looking for a traveling laptop. Not to shoot into the laptop but just to view, process fff files.

May i know if anyone has done/ used something similar? Thanks!

KeithL

A while ago I was considering a Macbook Air for use with Phocus but research showed that the graphics card memory was simply insufficient. As far as I know nothing has changed since that time.

Miller

I use a standard Macbook Pro 15 inch when travelling. I bought with tethering in mind also. For critical work I find the screen unreliable. Mind you, I don't have the matte screen with higher resolution.
My main workflow is on a stationary HP windows 7 PC with Eizo screen.

Frans Rutten

Jacephoto

jonathan.lipkin

I use a three year old MacBook Pro, 4G memory and 2.53 dual core processor to import FFF files and do a bit of Photoshop work on them. A bit sluggish, but perfectly workable.

Jacephoto

Quote from: jonathan.lipkin on July 23, 2012, 02:13:39 PM
I use a three year old MacBook Pro, 4G memory and 2.53 dual core processor to import FFF files and do a bit of Photoshop work on them. A bit sluggish, but perfectly workable.

Thanks. Did u use MacBook Air to import FFF files and do Photoshop?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

jonathan.lipkin

Quote from: Jacephoto on July 25, 2012, 04:37:14 PM
Quote from: jonathan.lipkin on July 23, 2012, 02:13:39 PM

Thanks. Did u use MacBook Air to import FFF files and do Photoshop?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Nope, used a MacBook Pro.

Just opened a .fff file (from 29mp camera, opened as a 223MB file) and did an unsharp mask and rotated image pretty quickly.

Ali Alriffai

I've used it with MBA 13' i7 and tethered too (check my posts) it's not bad, but I didn't export big projects on it. last month I was shooting aboard and took it with me after downloading the photos viewing them with the client the speed was normal, I did export entire shoot to fast preview after doing some basic editing in colour/WB/exposure etc. worked fine with Phocus and Lightroom the only thing you need to think about it is the screen size and colours ( I don't trust MBA Screen) otherwise it's a good machine. I just got the new Retina MBP but waiting for softwares to be updated with Retina Support

Jacephoto

meshuggener

Jace, just wait the 21th August (approximately) and if your a LightRoom user, normally they will release a new version that will support tethering with H bodies !  :)
www.matantoniassi.com
www.facebook.com/matantoniassi

Jacephoto

Quote from: meshuggener on August 17, 2012, 09:15:47 PM
Jace, just wait the 21th August (approximately) and if your a LightRoom user, normally they will release a new version that will support tethering with H bodies !  :)

Thanks Meshuggener. Actually i am trying to look for a light weight mac solution that allows me to travel light. :)

meshuggener

ok ! I think MBA is ok for that, now they run with I7 cores and even if they don't have FireWire, they have Thunderbolt (and there is a Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter). I think, as Ali said, you should calibrate it with a spider or something else. :)
www.matantoniassi.com
www.facebook.com/matantoniassi

Drchevalier

Friends,

Now that I have the adapter, I have started using the i7 13" MBA as a capture station with the H4D-40 and Phocus and it works fine.  I'm new to Phocus having been a Lightroom user nearly exclusively but guidance from members on the effectiveness of Phocus' lens corrections and my own discovery of how much I like it's uncompressed DNG export has added Phocus to my H workflow.  The MBA with 4GB memory is certainly usable but I would not trust critical colour adjustments to the screen.

However has a quick capture, lens correct, export solution to get the images as DNGs to LR on the Mac Pro, this looks pretty darn good to me.

Ross