Whose bothered with OS X Lion & Why?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonno101

Hi all,
Just wandering if many have bothered with upgrading to Lion? Am thinking but machines are quite old (2yr MBP & 2006 MP) just wandering if its gonna be a load of hurt.
Obviously main programmes are Phocus & PS (CS3) & LR(3).
Will it be quicker? I think I have to get MBP to 10.7 for iCloud (as I have mobile me email address).

Whats observations and I know "mountain goat" is just around the corner too???
cheers jon

Phil G

Hi Jon

Yep upgraded my MP (early 2008 eight core),  colleague who has early Intel 2006 Quad series has also been running Lion 10.7.3 we are both happy with it he's  mainly running 35mm and video. 
I find my Pro  ok but time is not that important as I was a Film user so don't shoot as many just in-case frames. I may up the Graphics card from 512MB to 1 or 2GB the former looks the most economic

Also running Lion on  my 17" MBP (early 2008) In Jan I upped Ram to 6GB ( supposed only 4GB) and replaced HDD with a 256GB Crucial M4 SSD seen improvement in speed it's super quiet and cool and extended battery life it's worth getting the kit as the eSATA-USB connector is ideal for using the replaced drive as an external back up or as a System clone as you can boot form USB not eSATA

If using Express 3|4 eSATA card with external SATA drives you need to download the Lion eSATA driver  Same driver if you are using eSATA card in Mac Pro ( we use Wiebetech bare drive external units)

I have not felt the need to go back to Snow Leopard Lion is better in so many little ways and obviously easy to migrate you brain as I remember thinking that's cool at the time but can't remember what they were
Aperture seem to work better but then the ability to split and merge Libraries and switch libraries was a huge leap forward  I am using the referenced file protocol with HBlad files i.e. on a separate HDD to Aperture Library but within the DAM system using Phocus as the Digital DR. All smaller Digital images go into the Aperture system together with scanned files etc ...

All the best

Phil
Photography is not just an end in its self but a powerful vehicle for Learning

jonathan.lipkin

I upgraded to 10.7 recently so I could use the iBooks Author app. Transition went nearly seamlessly, though my monitor calibration software is no longer compatible, so I had to upgrade.

Other than that, no issues.

Jonno101

Quote from: jonathan.lipkin on March 25, 2012, 04:22:44 PM
though my monitor calibration software is no longer compatible, so I had to upgrade.

Yeah thats the pain all little bits of software you collected over years need upgrading?
j