Flash radio transceivers

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeTelis

I am searching for a flash remote system that can easily work at 1/800sec because most of the flash remotes are designed for DSLRs so they can only work at 1/250sec. :-\

Thanks in advance!

HLArt

Pocket Wizard Plus II - up to 1/500

Dustbak

I have used many different systems. The ones below are the ones that have my preference (in that order). I currently use Profoto Air.

1)Pocketwizard
2)Profoto Air
3)Elinchrom Skyport (you do loose about 1/2 a stop going from 1/500th to 1/800th)

GeorgeTelis

Thanks for your response. I will try P.W and Profoto Air to see what is best for my work :)

bodtlaender

George, what did you find out?

I sold my Skyport a year ago, because it did not fire every time and the receiver sometimes switched off after a flash with no reason, even with batteries just charged, but now I must admit, that it was capable to work up to 1/800 with very little loss of flash power. My PW TT1 / TT5 seem to lock out almost everything beyond 1/500th.

After everything I can read here, there are two limits: Skyport and Profoto Air are fast, but not 100 per cent reliable. Pocketwizards are 100 per cent reliable but only up to 1/500.

So the only thing left seems to be a PW Multimax in Fast Mode. Very expensive solution, but promises to solve every problem.

What I donĀ“t understand about the Multimax is: Fast Mode works only on standard channels 17-32. Only the receiving unit has to be set to Fast Mode. Does this mean, I can also use a TT1 or TT5 as transmitter and would only need to buy one Multimax or does it need 2 Multimax to establish a Fast Mode ?

Best,

Bernd

GeorgeTelis

Bernd i haven't tried multimax or any other PW remote (there is no specific reason though).After some tests i found that almost all remotes can trigger up to 1/800 but due to the fact that they are not designed for those speeds you may lose 1/3-1/2 ev going from 1/500 to 1/800. Currently i am working with bowens palsar transceiver i have 3 bowens monolights and the onboard receiver card is working perfectly. The exposure difference is under 1/3 of a stop and almost not noticeable. The most important thing for a remote though is reliability even if you have some exposure reduction is better than a missed shot.

Regards
G.Telis