Mac graphics card warning with H4D-40

Previous topic - Next topic

greghaag

I have just received my H4D-40 and installed Phocus.  I received the following message about my graphics card "We do not recommend using the Geforce7300 GPU with Phocus".  I was hoping someone could suggest an alternative for me to install.
Thanks in advance,
Greg

Here is my general hardware information

Model Name:   Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:   MacPro1,1
  Processor Name:   Dual-Core Intel Xeon
  Processor Speed:   2.66 GHz
  Number Of Processors:   2
  Total Number Of Cores:   4
  L2 Cache (per processor):   4 MB
  Memory:   24 GB
  Bus Speed:   1.33 GHz
  Boot ROM Version:   MP11.005C.B08
  SMC Version (system):   1.7f10

Alex Maxim

I have a 2 year old laptop with Geforce 7300 and the phocus works just fine on it. I haven't gotten that pleasant message, though :) Maybe it's Mac specific.

Alex

greghaag

Alex,
The speed seems acceptable for this large of file, I think for now I will disregard the message.
Thanks,
Greg

Phil G

Hi Greg

Its probably because you have a 256MB graphics card I have a colleague with a similar early Mac who upgraded to a faster 512MB for his Mac Pro 1.1  I know he's tried a few cards and is happy with the latest I'll check with him and get back to you.

in the mean time you could check out

http://guides.macrumors.com/Video_Card_Upgrades_for_Mac_Pro

Incidentally he uses a Mac Air to control his Mac Pro which is in a portacabin in a barn across the yard from his kitchen where he sits next to his expresso machine!

Phil
Photography is not just an end in its self but a powerful vehicle for Learning

Phil G

Hi Greg

Sent him a copy of your machines spec this is the reply

"Yes. That is the same as mine. I got an ATI Radeon 4870 512MB. It is unsupported but it works. He should also look at later models eg 5870. Google for 'Mac Pro 1,1 processor upgrades' and read the discussions you will find. There is a lot of talk about SSDs and processors with benchmarks. (I found lots of good stuff there recently but chickened out. I decided I'd wait for the next Pro or super-mini and keep two machines.)

Don't get an XT1900. They are noisy, clog up with dust overheat and destroy themselves.

E"

And he is running Lion OSX

All the best

Phil

greghaag

Phil,
Thanks for all your help, I will check into what he said and look at the link you sent.
Thanks again,
Greg

Phil G

Its the same as I am using on my 3,1 8 Core neither of us has had no problems with it

All the best

Phil