DON'T BIN YOUR 3FR files - data loss warning

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin H

Hi
In light of what has happened to my fff files (suddenly lost approx 5mb info of each file & not recognized by FC or phocus for NO apparent
reason) can I advise VERY VERY strongly that your workflow includes a back up of your 3FR files & DON'T BIN THEM!!!!
I can't stress this enough as it appears this problem has happened to quite a few photographers.
It seems that fff files downloaded from cards are possibly in peril if you are using OSX10.5.( leopard)
The recovery software requires the same lens,apperture,focus distance & ISO and you need to have a record/backup of that info if possible?
I don't want to sound alarmist about this, but I think that Hasselblad should have warned us that there is this serious problem.
What systems it affects etc. & to keep 3FR files just in case.
If I knew that there was a problem I would have kept the 3FR files.
The files are on an external drive along side many many other external drives & scratch pads that I haven't dared open out of fear!!
The images were "modified" according to my finder when the computer & drives were powered off (HOW!!??) The finder shows that they were opened the previous day only.
The fff files were loaded from a card 2 weeks ago & checked immediately as some were processed & appeared fine so never assumed there'd be a problem afterwards.
I've backed up this drive (using SUPERDUPER) along with all my other drives since this date & possibly then overwritten what would have been undamaged files.
The time scale is approx 2 weeks between downloading the cards & now revisiting the SP to finish off the job.
the files are 78.5mb as opposed to 80.5mb for "correct" file size.
Cards were directly imported into flexcolour & checked & SP backed up again onto mirror drive.
Hasselblad tech guys are looking into it now & I will let you know. But the fact that they have written software to tackle this makes it apparent that they know there is a problem.
I've recovered 3 files but they are 3-4 stops under exposed & pretty unusable & since trying again I can't recover anything.
fingers crossed!!( the affected drive(s) contain a year long project with several thousand images..... gulp!!)
be warned.......regards
colin

NickT

Just so you know this is an OS problem relating specifically to 10.5. Apple did fix the bug (yes it's an Apple bug) but then re-introduced it in the latest update. It seems only to happen if there is an unexpected shut-down/force quit. As far as I know he Hasselblad software fix has recovered every file affected.

Trust me support are very keen to resolve this one, if it does happen to you get in touch with support@hasselblad ASAP and they will help  you.
Nick--T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Colin H

Hi
I've also been asked to point out that this is an apple issue & only affects OSX10.5 (& perhaps if there is a power loss?) but the fact is that you need to know the lens,apperture,focus distance &
ISO for each individual file in order to create a template to recover the files. I have a tendancy to shoot with quite a broad spectrum of settings & lenses as I guess most of us do, so if you don't have the 3FR files how can you possibly know? It'd be much easier if I could just recover the shoot from the back up 3FR files? Hence my suggestion.
I have faith that hasselblad will help recover my files, technical support & dealer support is fantastic BUT if you are a proffessional photographer & there is a risk to your files then all I can say is DON'T BIN YOUR 3FR files....like me & a few others..... you never know!
regards
colin