PC laptops and Phocus 2.6

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithL

OK, guys, yes, I admit it, I hate telephones of any description. But the Dell is real, really it is, and jolly nice it is too!

jeffbnz

have spent a bit of time putting the old and under spec asus laptop through its paces with the camera tethered with no problems at all.

so, hopefully once the HP gets a graphics card transplant it will be fine too....fingers crossed.

KeithL

I should have added that it was my original intention to buy a Windows laptop that was lightweight making it easier to take on my travels. After much research the only option that met this criteria was the Sony Vaio. Although it was light it was also over-priced and under-specified.

The Dell, whilst being reasonable in price and having plenty of grunt can in no way be described as anything other than a brick ;-)

KeithL

Derek, no, I've never seen a reference to the Lenovo. Probably best if I don't look ;-)

jeffbnz

YIKES...just had a quick google for the dual screen WD700ds ... at NZ $10500 :o I might leave this one for now haha....

jeffbnz

apparently we are from another planet here in NZ  ;D

Adobe sting us by anything from 50% more to 90% more, as does Apple, as does a few big names.

As for the dual screen, they basically seemed to be double the price - must be the extra RAM..oh wait, an extra CPU?...er....nah, just the 2nd screen which is only half the size of the main ???

at least we have a good rugby team.......

jeffbnz

Our import duties aren't overly excessive so I doubt it would add so much to the price. I have had an adobe rep tell me the price difference was due to the exchange rate - he didn't have an answer when I pointed out that I was comparing the NZ price with the US price after converting with the exchange rate - so it was a direct comparison - which was almost double the price to buy from Adobe NZ.

As to the laptop, it came back yesterday, and died withen 15 m ins  >:(  seems they replaced a heatsink....not the Vid card. So here we go again.

Anyone in Auckland using Phocus on a PC laptop?

martinnz

Hi Jeff
I am on the north shore but use macbook pro 15. Did try with the older compaq notebook but it was just not up to the job  Regards Martin

jeffbnz

Hey Keith, sorry to hear you are having windows problems with Phocus.

We've not had any issues with Phocus on our desktops, but real troubles on our Win laptops. In fact our highest spec would blue screen everytime we used Phocus - but nothing else would cause the computer to crash, let alone blue screen. odd, as Blue Screen is a sign of a hardware fault  ???

I'd love to start compiling a list of people having Windows/Phocus issues,  and get as much about the computer specs as possible to start looking for common themes etc.

So everyone feel free to email me with details like setup, Firewire setup, when the crashes happen, FW connected/not connected  etc and any error/crash logs that you have.

cheers
Jeff

NickT

Quote from: jeffbnz on November 02, 2011, 09:45:37 AM

So everyone feel free to email me with details like setup, Firewire setup, when the crashes happen, FW connected/not connected  etc and any error/crash logs that you have.

Hi Jeff
Can we keep these details here? I think it would be a useful reference if the information stayed in this thread. I have added "PC" to the thread title to make it easier to find.

Cheers
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

jeffbnz

brilliant, thanks Nick.

looking forward to seeing what comes through,

cheers
Jeff

PS would also be good to hear what Windows setups are working, again as many specs as you can lay your hands on would be great.

I'll collate our machines and post in tomorrow

KeithL

Thanks Jeff, Nick.

OK, I'll post a summary here.

The problem

When selecting the second image in Compare View at 100% the image will initially draw but then blacks out. Same happens when viewing both images at smaller sizes and increasing to 100%. The problem is evident on Phocus for Windows versions 2.6.1 and 2.6.3. This is the very first step of, and fundamental to, my workflow.

I have updated drivers and both machines are now running Phocus 2.6.3 for Windows.

Specs.

Laptop Dell XPS 15
Intel Core i7-2630QM (2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz)
Display: 15.6" FHD B+RGLED True-Life (1920x1080)
Memory: 6144MB (1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel)
Graphics: 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
Hard Drive: 750GB Serial ATA (7200RPM)
Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64 BIT)
Updated to latest NVIDIA drivers
Phocus 2.6.3 for Windows

Desktop
Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
Intel i7-920
Accessible RAM 3.3GB
1 GB Radeon 4890 Graphics
Phocus 2.6.3 for Windows

Keith

KeithL

Update

Just tried Phocus 2.6.4 for Windows but unfortunately the problem still persists.

:(

David Grover