H4D dng with capture one

Previous topic - Next topic

erick

Capture One 6.2 cannot open dng from H4D bodies do you know why ?

erick

is it possible to ask something on this forum without answer with aggressiveness ? if not please delete my account

erick

I am on Hasselblad but I dont like Phocus , CaptureOne is very good and it wonder why I cannot open a DNG, if I ask it on CaptuneOne forum they will tell me to ask to Blad

NickT

Hi Erick
As Derek suggested the folk over at the P1 forums should know the answer to this. Have you tried the DNG in Aperture, Camera RAW or Lightroom?

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

erick

I dont use Aperture but it works in lightroom

erick

thank you

just a question but don't become nervous ? do you like Phocus ?

erick

Quote from: Derek Jecxz on May 02, 2011, 08:47:02 AM
Quote from: erick on May 02, 2011, 08:41:39 AM
thank you

just a question but don't become nervous ? do you like Phocus ?

Not nervous at all, I like Phocus. But I have never tried Capture1. I do quick edits with Phocus, delete my non-keepers and export to TIF and continue work in Photoshop, which is the best software for me. I think Photoshop has a lot of features.

;d
yes I use photoshop CS5 of course

erick

Quote from: Derek Jecxz on May 02, 2011, 08:52:22 AM
Why are you only a Basic Member, don't you use a Hassy digital back?

;d
no only H1 and P45, I want to get a H4D 40 but
H1D september 2004
H2D August 2005
H3D september 2006
H3D II September 2007
H4D September 2009

I wonder if I have not better to wait  September 2011 to decide

alexkent

In answer to the original question,
I don't know why a DNG created by Phocus can't be read by CaptureOne 6.2, that's odd. I've not tried it myself (I haven't used C1 for a couple of years).
This rather goes against the 'open' format that DNG is designed to be. Hasselblad DNG's work in Apple's and Adobe's applications.
The only thing I can imagine is that C1 doesn't support the specific back resolution that your DNG file is (this seem unlikely given the Phase range). Or that PhaseOne have included a "if camera manufacturer is Hasselblad then stop working" in their code, and given the turbulent history of the two companies this doesn't seem impossible.

If you're considering switching to the Hasselblad backs you should give Phocus a chance. It is certainly not as complete or fast as C1, but Phocus does make really excellent looking images (better in my experience than I've got from exporting DNG's and processing them in Adobe Camera Raw or Aperture).

regards, Alex.

erick

Quote from: alexkent on May 02, 2011, 09:29:25 AM
The only thing I can imagine is that C1 doesn't support the specific back resolution that your DNG file is (this seem unlikely given the Phase range). Or that PhaseOne have included a "if camera manufacturer is Hasselblad then stop working" in their code, and given the turbulent history of the two companies this doesn't seem impossible.
it is certainly the reason
I have a few dng from H4D 60 and Capture one doesnt even find them, like hidden files, no problem with lightroom

erick

erick

I got that answer on luminous-landscape -->

A Hasselblad DNG?  DNG's are not brand specific.  That's the idea of the format.

Dustbak

Yes, unfortunately history has shown us that many companies have different ideas about generic implementation & standards. DNG can be an open standard but if the interpretation on how to implement this 'openness' is different the end results will not be the same.

FWIW, I once saw someone mention that indeed they could not open DNG files (or other raw files) made by a certain vendor until they removed the part of the file that showed which camera shot the image. After that they could open the file without effort. Anyone can draw their own conclusions from that. I am thinking real hard who and where that was and which files in which software but cannot seem to recollect. I don't find it particularly interesting, after a history in SW (and HW) development these things are really no surprise to me.

benton1

I also can not open DNG files from my H3D-39 with C1 which I get out of Phocus 2.6.1  Same thing, the files do not even show up, no problem whatsoever with Bridge etc.

Really nic 'open' thing  >:(

Marcus