H1 problem! Please help...

Previous topic - Next topic

mingew

Hello,

I have problem with my Hasselblad H1. I received the camera 2 days ago, but unfortunately it didn't come with a battery charger for the 7.2v rechargeable lithium. So I bought a 7v Universal Charger and used it for charging, which worked.

The only problem is that after a couple of minutes it shows "low battery" error. I charged the battery overnight, so it holds at least 12 hours of charge.

I also tried to reset the fuel gauge, but when I put the battery in, I don't hear any beeping sound and it doesn't work. I also tried to remove the lens and viewfinder, but without success.

The firmware version shows 8.2.1. And the charger seems to be working, so I doubt it's the problem.

What should I do? Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance,
Ben

grandguru

You are in one of the best places in the world to get help. You have a very old firmware in your camera. Go and visit the factory in Copenhagen and I am sure they would want to help you.

mingew

Yes, the Hasselblad factory is about 5 min. from my house. I will try to contact them, but I am not sure they'll want to help with an expired warranty.

Dustbak

You will be amazed how helpful Hasselblad is. I am convinced they will take very good care of you, even with an expired warranty. They might charge you if a lot of work is involved but for upgrading a body firmware I doubt it. Do you use the H1 with a digital back? If so, when it is a Hasselblad back you can take care of the firmware upgrade yourself.

mingew

I see. Their support is closed now, but I will defiantly call them on Monday.

In the meantime, do you have any ideas on how to solve the problem? I'm pretty sure the battery is supposed to work...even with the old firmware!

Dustbak

Yes, indeed it should work with the old firmware too. I recall downgrading the firmware of an H1 to the earliest version to be able  to use it with a Jenoptik back (different long story). This body worked flawlessly with my 7.2V batteries. I suspect either your charger or your battery is at fault.

Difficult to say since we know nothing about either one.

My first try would be to get a genuine charger. I don't mind tweaking and doing undocumented things but for stuff like this I prefer getting the 'real thing'. I have wrecked more than one battery by using 3rd party chargers, eg. chargers that were not able to trickle charge properly.

mingew

Yes, I did just like the instruction says.

I just recorded a video of the problem so you can see what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggtz41_y3lU

Am I doing something wrong?

Greg

I just watched your video and did not hear the rapid series of beeps.  Were they just not loud enough to hear in the video?  If you did not hear the rapid series of beeps, you may have not completed the reset.

Greg

mingew

Well, that was pretty much point with the video. The camera didn't beep as it should when holding MENU and FLASH down while attaching the battery. I still don't know what the problem is.

rem

and hoe David once wrote, you should also the viefinder and the lens remove! I have really to press the buttons "hard" to get the beep...
rem

Monty Rakusen

You didnt do the reset propperly. Its 3 buttons all at once.

its FLASH>MENU>ON/OFF

Monty

mingew

Tried that too, but didn't work.

I went to the store today and bought a new 7.5v charger. Charged it for a few hours and the battery seems to hold charge, so everything is good now :)
Looks like the 7v charger that I had, didn't give sufficient charge, so I will be returning it.

Thank you everyone...

David Grover

Quote from: Monty Rakusen on March 27, 2011, 01:44:27 AM
You didnt do the reset propperly. Its 3 buttons all at once.

its FLASH>MENU>ON/OFF

Monty

No need for the ON/OFF Monty.

Yes, you should also remove lens and viewfinder.

Monty Rakusen