Difference H3D vs. H3DII?

Previous topic - Next topic

benton1

Hello

I found some minor differences like new screen and CCD cooling between H3D and H3DII. Are there more things I may have missed? Is there any difference between the sensors and the usage of the newer HCD lenses like the 35-90? Maybe someone has a link to a technical sheet of the H3D, I could only find a datasheet for the newer version II on the hasselblad website.

Best Regards

Marcus

benton1

Thank you Keith,

although the second link does not work for me I found very valuable information

Regards

Marcus

NickT

Hi Marcus
The second link is to a post in the full members (ie owners) area which is why you cannot access it.

It contains a very useful post from Keith which I'm sure he won't mind me posting here (as Mr Laban is such a nice chap):

Some time ago I asked similar questions elsewhere. The following are the replies I received - apologies to the original authors.

--

Differences between Hasselblad H3D and H3D11

The main difference is 3 "display, which is better than the old, very clear, precise (you can now determine the exposure).
New metal flap slot for CF card.
Newer better cooling, without fan. Better quality, less Noise.
The new IR filter.
Ultrafocus newer generation.
New stronger socket for FireWire 800
HC 80 is very nice and good quality. My favorite is HC 2.2/100 and HC 4/120 Macro. Very good is HC 50-110 but it is too heavy for me.
Amazing 4/28mm if you need extreme wide lens.
CF work through the lens adapter, we have confirmation of sharpness in body. Unfortunately, we have to manually propel a shutter and set the focus manually.
H3D 39 + lens should cost about 7000 Euro. New H3DII 39 + lens cost 14995 Euro without taxes.

--

•   3 " TFT display Navigation button and Zoom button on left, improved tactile feel to buttons.
•   New Heat Sink for improved cooling and image quality.
•   Vent holes removed to prevent dust from entering digital magazine housing
•   Coated IR filter, Anti reflection
•   Ultrafocus Level 1 and 2
•   New metal CF card door and hinge
•   Improved FireWire 800 socket (tighter fit)
•   New speaker
•   Rubber socket covers improved (flash sync etc)
•   Illumination button:
•   a. Battery status in 5% increments
•   b. Firmware for H body and digital magazine
•   Double 1/2 press on shutter release button goes into Menu on back and can be navigated on H grip with the control wheels
•   New strap and connection. Can be used with tripod attached.
•   Tilt sensor can be locked (for aerial as a ex)
•   CCD operating temprature now 0 to 45 celsius.
•   Film rewind button is now for "FORMAT" command
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

pchong

I asked this before I bought the H3D last year...sorry must have missed this post.

NickT is right (of course!), but only the first 3 are not available to the H3D...the others are available with the latest firmware upgrade...and of course both the 80 and 28 works beautifully with the H3D. Some comments:

New 3 "display: still too crappy for me, so not a real improvement. Judging focus on the screen is impossible. The H4D is much better, but was not available when I bought.
New metal flap slot for CF card.: Good improvement, but nothing wrong with the plastic one on the H3D.
Newer better cooling, without fan. Better quality, less Noise.: mostly better in H3DII. but when I was searching for answers to dust problems affecting the back, while it was clear that the H3DII was better in dusty environments (lack of a fan drawing dust through the sensor), but there was a hint from Hasselblad that perhaps the H3D may fare better in a hot environment, especially when cloaked in a dust protecting cover like the KATA (I was asking about Antelope Canyon in late summer) as it has a fan. I went, shot and sold many prints from the trip. H3D did well!
The new IR filter. Yes. But you can get this upgrade for the H3D too, if you either have problems with the old one under warranty...(which, I think, by now all would have expired), or by paying for it. I am using the old IR filter in hot and humid Singapore with no issues.

And finally, the best is that the sensor is the same, and hence the image quality is exactly the same. So I went for the H3D.

grandguru

I think you will find that the H3D will take film backs but the H3DII will not. Dont take a chance if you can check it out to be sure. Could be a deciding factor for some people.

KeithL

Just to be clear, I was simply linking to previous discussions. pchong is correct, many of the differences have been negated by firmware upgrades.

Also, to be clear, much of the original post wasn't mine, I was simply quoting another discussion.

All clear now???

;)

pchong

Quote from: grandguru on March 03, 2011, 09:33:31 PM
I think you will find that the H3D will take film backs but the H3DII will not. Dont take a chance if you can check it out to be sure. Could be a deciding factor for some people.

I can confirm the H3D can take a film back. I have one, though have not used it much.