Phocus Mobile takes minutes to connect

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I am using OS X 10.6.6, Phocus 2.6 and an iPhone 4 with Phocus Mobile. When I select 'Accept Phocus Mobile Connections' in Phocus Preferences, I get the spinning pizza wheel for about 5 minutes and then it starts to work again. I can then connect to Phocus via the iPhone. When I restart Phocus, I get the 5 minute wait again before Phocus starts and I can connect again. I have tried this with an iMac, a MBP and two different wireless networks with the same result each time. If I turn off the mobile option, Phocus starts normally.

My friendly Hasselblad man watched this happen and he is as mystified as me. Anyone got any suggestions of what to de next?

Here's an update: If I disconnect my ethernet cable and create a private network between the iMac and iPhone, it all works as it should. Hardly a workable solution, but a temporary bypass, I still need this to work on my normal network.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Dustbak

Could you check whether you have Internet access? I have had this phenomena when I deleted my preferences and Phocus wanted to check my registration. I had no Internet access but I had network connectivity this made Phocus search for the registration server for minutes before giving up.

Turning off the network interface solved the problem temporarily. After registration everything was back to normal.

I hate the 'registration start-up', this is definitely not in the software to help me therefore I feel it has to go. It has absolutely no useful purpose but only generates problems at times. Registration before download is fine (you have to log-in anyway to be able to download).

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Thanks Ray. I have internet access. it's funny that the first time I deleted the preferences, it was fine, but now I just can't get rid of it. Apparently, it can be fixed by an email to Hasselblad by my local guy but it is a PITA in the meantime. I'm assuming that it is a bug of some sort in 2.6. I don't think that the registration issue is connected to the slow start. it work sfine on a private network.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

alexkent

re: Jeff,

5 mins pause when you turn on 'Accept Phocus Mobile Connections', that is odd.

Out of curiosity try this (this won't fix it, but might help find the problem):

Form the Apple Menu open System Preferences...
Open the Sharing preferences.
Turn on one of the services which isn't currently on, Printer Sharing or Scanner Sharing for example.
Do you get the same 5min pause ?

Switching those (and Phocus Mobile connections) should be pretty much instant.

What else is on the network your machine is connected to ?

(incidentally, i agree the Registration form gets in the way too often and should be optional)

alex.

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Thanks Alex.  I just tried changing Sharing settings for DVD and CD. Instantaneous, it is.

I run two networks. A Dlink one which contains the ADSL modem, and provides DHCP. I also have another network on a Time Capsule which bridges to the Dlink. As for connected devices, stacks, a couple of iMacs, a couple of NAS boxes, iPhones, Apple TV, Epson 3800, MBP ... This all works quite happily together with nary a glitch. I don't normally have Airport active on the iMacs as most gear is cable connected. All the cable stuff runs through a pair of 8 port gigabit switches
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Dustbak

The 'anomaly' I experienced was due by Phocus believing I had a working network connection with a valid IP address and normally IP functionality. However the network I was on at that moment indeed did gave me an ip address but ip traffic was blocked. After deleting the registration details via the preferences Phocus tried contacting the registration server for several minutes (believing that I had a completely functioning network) before giving up and starting Phocus normally.

This is basically the only time I experienced a delay like this. This also does sound as a 'time-out' issue since after the time-out operation proceeds as normal?

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Ray, when I have Mobile on, I get the 5 minute hang and then the registration panel and I always have a working network.

Derek, I never use the MBP in the field. I have enough trouble with the gear that i already have.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

David Grover

Hi Jeff,

Sounds like the Dlink is doing something a bit strange with Bonjour networking.

Download this...

http://mac.brothersoft.com/bonjour-browser-download.html

Open it up and you should see (if Allow Phocus Mobile Connections is turned on in Phocus preferences) something like..

_phremote._tcp.-1

As soon as you launch Phocus.

If you google "D-Link Bonjour" you may get your answer.  See here....

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=5722.0

Maybe trying the multicast option will help.

You could see if iTunes sharing works, or perhaps Remote on your iPhone with iTunes?

David

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Thanks David. I have tried both Remote on my iPhone and iTunes sharing. Both work quickly without any issues. The version of the firmware on my DSL G604T doesn't have the option that was mentioned in the other forums. So where do I go from here? Do I buy another ADSL modem? If so, what brand do I need that is known to support Bonjour.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I've just done a little testing with the Bonjour Browser. When I select the Mobile connections box and wait for the 5 minutes, the PH Remote thing shows up in the browser. I can then turn it on and off and watch it come and go in the browser. However, if I quit Phocus with it selected, I get the 5 minute wait when I start it again.

As an aside, If you could sort out how to stop the bloody registration crap each time I start Phocus, my cardiologist will be very grateful.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

David Grover

Quote from: Jeff on March 04, 2011, 12:17:40 AM
I've just done a little testing with the Bonjour Browser. When I select the Mobile connections box and wait for the 5 minutes, the PH Remote thing shows up in the browser. I can then turn it on and off and watch it come and go in the browser. However, if I quit Phocus with it selected, I get the 5 minute wait when I start it again.

As an aside, If you could sort out how to stop the bloody registration crap each time I start Phocus, my cardiologist will be very grateful.
[/quote

Ill point the Phocus Developer to this thread when he is back next week.  Still sounds like the Dlink is interfering with Bonjour somehow.  Was there a firmware update for your Dlink on their site.

As for stopping the registration - Register!  If you have done so just enter your log in name and password in the field that pops up.

Dustbak

David, on many occassions I agree with you but on the registration part I cannot (at least not with my current understanding). Jeff, probably already registered Phocus and the registration got lost when deleting the preferences (I have had that happen more than once). When downloading the software you already register so where is the need to do it when you start the program? Besides, if you really would want to have this done make it something someone can select from a menu instead of a 'semi-forced' happening. Or better just leave it out.

What is the added value to Hasselblad to have another registration when running the program for the first time? It does get in the way of users so I assume there must be a compelling reason to have this in?

David Grover

Good point Ray!

The Phocus Product manager is in the US this week, so I will raise it with him on his return!

jeff.grant@pobox.com

As for stopping the registration - Register!  If you have done so just enter your log in name and password in the field that pops up.

David,

You are obviously working on different software to me. I registered with Hasselblad years ago. I deleted my preferences at Colin Johnston's request. I have now tried 'already registered' and 'register' neither of which work. The attached grabs show what happens. I really don't want to have to go through this each time I start Phocus. I want my experience to be pleasant not a PITA each time I use it.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Quote from: David Grover on March 04, 2011, 01:20:41 AM

Ill point the Phocus Developer to this thread when he is back next week.  Still sounds like the Dlink is interfering with Bonjour somehow.  Was there a firmware update for your Dlink on their site.

Thanks David. I am using the latest Dlink firmware. It's odd that I have no other issues with Bonjour other than Phocus. It's even odder that during the beta testing, I reported this issue and thought that it had been fixed later only to reappear in the released software.

If the Dlink is the issue, I will happily replace it but I need someone to tell me what will work. I really don't want to engage in a lottery. I just want it to work. I made a very comfortable living for many years as a networking consultant. Right now, I just want to be a photographer.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com