Thunderbolt

Previous topic - Next topic

rsmphoto

So, will Hasselblad be supporting the new MacBook Pro's Thunderbolt port? Just dreaming of what life would be like making tethered captures with potentially ten times the transfer speed..... ::)

Jonno101

was just gonna post the same comment, I hope them H engineers have something up their sleeves?
http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/

NickT

I've been watching this technology for a while, in development it was called "Lightpeak. I suspect it will replace firewire in the future.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

fotografz

The question I have is, by using the backwards compatible adapters available for FW800/400 and USB, will transfer speed still increase?

-Marc

(Written from under a mountain of snow) 

alexkent

Quote from: fotografz on February 25, 2011, 10:34:51 PM
The question I have is, by using the backwards compatible adapters available for FW800/400 and USB, will transfer speed still increase?

no.
the usb and firewire specifications have fixed maximum transfer rates, no adapters will help this.

David Grover

So far the technology in its current form isn't that handy for tethered shooting...

Max cable length of 3m.

Maybe there will be some repeaters made, but I can't see any info on that currently.

Alex Maxim

There will be more expensive options for cables with fiber optics for data and copper wires for power, up to 100m in length, I believe. Optical elements are going to be a part of the cable to keep compatibility with the copper wire socket, so the cables might be pricey.

JB

I hope whatever they do with the port it will have excellent plug/socket strength that other iterations haven't had that seem to have plagued so many of us with dodgy connection and/or broken connections requiring camera repair. I still think the firewire 400 port is far superior to the 800 version and have seen very little real world difference in speed.

I used to have a fibre optic version of my Sinar back which required a twin type cable and special board to plug it into, plus I seem to recall there was a problem if you ever wanted to disconnect / reconnect which I think made you have to restart the computer! Lets hope technology has moved on...

Jason

ette

so if they (Hasselblad) do support Thunderbolt will the rumour mill say that we can purchase a new back for the H4D?
When you realise just how beautiful New Zealand is .... it gets foggy