HC 120 vs HC 120_II

Previous topic - Next topic

rjanso1

Hi

Thank you to all the contributors on the "The Lenses" section I find it to be useful and a helpful reference.

I photograph food and mostly desserts, which on items like round cakes means a dof of up to 30cm (12") is required.

I have been happy with the results from my CF 120mm lens on the V system, which I can still use with my CF lens adapter.

I would like to upgrade to an HC 120mm macro lens.

I have a H4D-40, has anyone had any experience with both version I and  II of the 120mm macro lens?

Is the improved macro resolution on the 120-II better suited to the larger sensors of the H4D-50 and 60?

I am new to the H-System so any comments in helping me choose between the two lenses would be appreciated.

Thanks Richard

jK_photo

I have the HC 120mm type I lens and it is a fine lens. I was irritated after i read about the update.
Maybe it is improved. But for my "old" H3D39 the "old" one works very well.

The CF 120 Macro is a great/fantastic lens for sure and the HC lens is not better. The advantage of AF is a big plus for me. But i love the look of the CF lens which is a personal thing and if i had a chance to test them side by side before i am sure that i kept the CF 120.

But for most of my shots i prefer the 50-110mm, sometimes with a 13mm extension ring. This lens is by far my favorite, it has soul and and gives me the most of what i love about Hasselblad H system. Personal thing again :-)

My advice: keep the CF if you don`t need the AF.

Cheers

j.k.

pchong

I also use the HC120 macro on a H3D-39. usually with one or both H28 and H52 extension tubes. With both I can get near 2X magnification...I shoot mainly watches with the kit. The HC120 is an excellent lens providing outstanding detail and colour with the H3D-39, but I have not used the CF120 before, so cannot compare. Shooting macro, I almost always shoot manual focus, so AF is not so important to me, and the HC120 is way better than the both Canon 100mm/2.8 L and non-L...colour, micro detail, micro tones are much better rendered by the Hasselblad than the Canon (with 1dmk3 body).

For your use, if you need all of 30cm to be in focus, I think you would need to stack focus. Are you shooting very small apertures with the CF?