libraries - one's own!

Previous topic - Next topic

HughGilbert

Hullo All,

i've been a long time supporter of Iview media then Expression Media, and latterly I've been impressed by Lightroom. 

However with a growing library, Lightroom is slowing down.  I need access to various parts of a library of about 87000 images over four hard drives, (yes there is a back up routine) and I don't want to break the library into parts.  The library is a mix of artists work and architecture, and a few snaps of the whippet for good measure!

Is there a way of speeding Lightroom up? I use smallest preview sizes.  I like a lot of what Lightroom does.   I don't want to turn everything into DNGs, which means I end up with sidecar files for the metadata.  I had trouble the other day trying to rebuild a small library from a mix of image files and sidecars when I shifted them to another computer to work on at the weekend.

I've been hearing that some museums use Extensis Portfolio.  Can anyone advise on this?

Any thoughts gladly received.

All best

Hugh

PS at least its not raining today

MichaelS

Lightroom should easily digest your files.  There are a fair amount of people with 100k libraries...might be the hardware you are using.  Might I also suggest you try to join the D-65 users group.  I've taken Seth's workshops and they are amazing. His internet users group is a really useful resource. 

cheers

M.