Lens options for my new H3Dii-31

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Mac

Hey everyone!

I want to get a lens for my new camera. I shoot primarily beauty work. I was using a Hasselblad 150mm CFI & Canon 180mm/3.5L Macro for my beauty with my old
cameras (553ELX/Phase One P30/1ds Mark III)

I have heard good things about the HC 100/2.2 ... but I am concerned about it being too short. I think I want to stay away from the HC 120 Makro. I find that shooting
with macro lenses.... the depth of field can be a little tricky. I have had problems in the past where the the focus locked on to the wrong eye or the hair ... making what
would have been a great shot , unusable due to shallow depth of field. I am sure the problem is worse on MFD.

So that leaves  my contenders:    a) 100/2.2 HC with 1.7 tc
                                               b) 150/3.2  HC
                                               c) 210/4 HC

Any advice?

Dustbak

150 - Fast autofocus lens. I use it a lot for lookbook work.
210 - Slow autofocus but incredibly sharp lens.
100 - reasonably fast af, sharp, lovely lens. Almost welded to my body. The first lens I will grab as a starting point. You have  a cropped sensor body so it already is longer than in my case.

I have no experience with the 100 + 1.7.

If you are strong the 50-110 might be on you list too. It still is one of my most used lenses. Fairly inexpensive now, most people are going for the 35-90.
DoF is definitely an issue if you need lots of it...

Personally I would go for the 100 as my first lens, the 50-110 coming in as my second.

PS. Now you have entered the realm of owning your own digital Hasselblad, did you apply for full membership with Nick? There are more areas available for full members.

Alex Maxim

I like HC150, but to get really close you will need a 26mm extension tube.
I don't recommend HC120, its AF is too slow and when you are getting very close, the distortions are not pleasant.
HC100 is ok for waist up and farther. It will probably be good with x1.7, I will try when I get the converter.
Haven't tried 210, I don't feel that I need any more compression than what HC150 gives me.

Alex

NickT

Quote from: Dustbak on December 25, 2010, 08:53:41 AM

PS. Now you have entered the realm of owning your own digital Hasselblad, did you apply for full membership with Nick? There are more areas available for full members.

Thanks Ray
Alex is now a full member.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

symbolphoto

I agree that the 100 2.2 is probably the best all around lens. I'm also using the 31 and i only own two lenses by choice.  100 2.2 and the 35-90.