Your Dream Hasselblad system

Previous topic - Next topic

David Grover

Well its a tricky thing to make PR out of.

Apple changes Firewire protocol, doesn't tell anyone, doesn't offer much help, we devote weeks of R&D time to reverse engineer a load of things, et Voila!

I will be happy if it just means people are trouble free tethered!

D

jan borgers

Moin,

... a CFV-Back with 6,8 my m pixel Sensor 48 mm sqare => 7216 * 7216 pixel or 52 MPix. That would fit.  :D

Kind regars

Jan Borgers 2010-12-16

meesh

Full time professional editorial and advertising photographer

Megapixels: 50-60 seems fine for anything

LCD: yes, fix this, get something from this century

Battery Life: no complaints

Phocus features: Stop with the features!!! make it work perfect when tethering and please open up your files to LR!!! Editing 500+ images in Phocus is not fun

3rd party software: don't see a need

New Lenses: Get your lens profiles in LR

Other Accessories: maybe a modern more realistically priced image tank thing?

Tethering solutions: again, this needs to be "mission critical" level of software, crashes and loosing files is NOT ok.

Frame rates: the h3d250 is fine for me, little faster would be cool, but usually waiting for strobes

ISO performance: the hi-iso's of the digi 35's is pretty amazing...

Ipad and Iphone integration, better tethering protocol (USB 3, Lightpeak, hell even gigabit ethernet!) big square sensor that you software crop and with viewfinder masks so you can shoot vertical without rotating camera.

Use your social network (twitter, email, facebook) to let us know of known bugs and when new software is released, maybe Phocus could check for updates like every other piece of software around. I'm a bit bummed that I had to troll a message board to find that a new Phocus version had been released that hopefully fixes a serious fatal bug (FW disconnects on new Macbooks, doesn't matter if apple caused this without your knowledge, let shooters know immediately if a bug is or could be present and offer solutions; I figured this out in 2 days, not that hard)

Really I just want Phocus to work better when I'm tethered and to be able to read in LR or Aperture.

Cyndi Long (robotgas)

My suggestions are in regards to making Phocus a lot better:
I would REALLY REALLY like to be able to set my default Live aperture in my preferences. 
My stylists would REALLY like to be able to have a draggable crop when in Live mode.  (I know I can have an overlay- but why not a crop?)
I would enjoy the option of a single draggable guide line (vertical and horizontal.)

Thanks for listening.

raffa

I have 2 suggestions:

- low(er) resolution live video: the actual live video is sluggish. it would be great to have an half- or quarter-resolution live view preview, just to speed up things! then you could switch to the full live video on-the-fly, if needed. I hope this is possible with the current hardware, I assume if the sensor outputs only half the data, it will be faster (or not?)

- cropping during live video: when you select a crop and ratios in the shots, it would be great that also the following live video will honour the crop. even better, it could behave just like the normal crop: when selected you also see the uncropped portion grayed-out, then you can crop it if you want. of course, if you use the crop in the live video it should be applied in the final shot (as always)

mauro risch

A wireless file transfer system to macbook pros, macpros and iPads.
www.maurorisch.com
    0430 383 588

Henry

Hi Nick,

Just two suggestions:

I believe the histograms are currently based on the Jpeg used for the camera back image - could they be based on the RAW data instead as that would be more useful (though please correct me if my understanding of this is wrong - it's just I do find discrepancies between basing exposure on the histogram as shown on the back, and that shown in Phocus which means I can blow highlights unexpectedly - but it could be my memory playing up!!) and I like the look of the new Leica S2 histogram - the current Hasselblad one is pretty good nonetheless!

Henry

Steve C

Dream Hasselblad System—H5D

Expert Amateur Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Most important feature:  determine focus, depth of focus, sharpness in field without laptop.
Best solution:  outdoor visible Live View at shooting aperture with 100% magnification checkpoints on rear LCD
Otherwise:  largest possible rear LCD with highest resolution on sharpened JPEG image, must be as good as a laptop for judging focus, depth of focus, sharpness
*Wireless transfer of moderately compressed JPEG (~2 Mb) to iPad to view composition, sharpness at 100%, and star rank.  No need to run Phocus for image editing or tethered operation in field on any device.  Tethered operation is not feasible for environments that I work in (rain, snow, sea shores, mountain tops, etc).
*Focus mask ala Phase Capture One with user programmable sharpness levels visible on rear LCD.
*Show camera measured focus distance, near and far depth of focus, based on f-stop and focal length, on top or rear LCD.  User selectable circle of confusion value desireable.

Other important firmware features:
*Eliminate reliability issues that often lock up camera now and require removing lens, battery, viewfinder, and multiple restarts to make camera work.
*Large RGB histogram with clear over / under-exposed indication per channel.  One channel can saturate now without indication on the existing histogram.  Show f-stop scale on bottom.
*Configurable INFO screen, ability to add data, ie focus distance, DOF, altitude from GIL, color Temp, etc.
*Configurable INFO screen sequence to include only desired screens.  For me, full image with Blinkies, RGB histogram, (exposure data), (top LCD info.)
*Configurable EXIF data shown in Phocus, add altitude, exposure GMT from GIL, color Temp, etc.
*User choice of storing RAW data as 3FR or FFF.  Current workflow too complex, Adobe support mixed.
*Ability to record audio notes attached to each exposure for data such as setup, filters, focus bracket / stitch info.
*Adjustable "Blinkie" level, fewer menu steps to get to LCD Brightness, Contrast settings.
*Auto set time and date when using GIL.  Often forget to do this when travelling to new time zones.
*Features promised last year in Phocus 2.6 (high resolution rear LCD, 3D leveling, top LCD info on rear LCD, etc)

* should be achievable on current H4D cameras with Firmware update only.

Other important hardware changes:
Ability to remove back for cleaning without taking off prism finder.  Currently as mess to do in field.
Put lightmeter in camera body so Waist Level Finder can use auto exposure.
Make WLF folding like older V series.  Camera doesn't fit easily in backpack with WLF attached.
Allow use of a relatively inexpensive film magazine for backup if $35,000 digital back fails in field.
Allow interchanging of  Hasselblad digital backs and camera bodies.  Let user to decide if performance is good enough without focus calibration.  Makes backups much less expensive.
Remove marketing driven lock-outs that prevent HCD lenses from use on H1 and H2 cameras.
Better dust sealing / cover glass coating.  Currently, not a day goes by without things landing on the sensor, especially when changing lenses frequently.
Sensor resolution that just exceeds best lens resolution.  Getting close at 80 megapixels.
Develop more high-quality, lighter-weight zoom lenses.  100-300mm f5.6-f8 would be very useful.
Revise existing lenses, especially HCD lenses, so they cover the entire 60mpixel and beyond sensors.
Implement attachable battery on digital back for view camera use.  Best if same camera charger can be used.
Bigger buttons on camera body, more programming options, not so recessed in front so they are reachable when the HTS is attached.
Top LCD should slant to rear.  Currently useless when camera is on a tripod above chest level.
Multi-shot operation without laptop tethering.  Put control in camera body.
iPad camera control / viewing without tethered laptop and separate WIFI network required.  Bidirectional WiFi directly between camera and iPad or laptop.
Maximum size / quality rear LCD with touch screen operation.  Get rid of buttons.  Think iPod.
At least 2 interface options from FW800, FW3200, USB3, WIFI, LightPeak between camera and computer.  Real fear that FW800 is on its way out.  Getting harder to find computers that support it.
Rotation lock on HTS to prevent tragedy when attaching lenses.  Easy now to rotate a lens into position thinking it is attached only to find that the HTS rotated and it isn't.
Tripod socket on the lens side of the HTS for perfect flat stitching without lens movement.
Ability to use 120mm macro, 150mm, 210mm lenses on HTS.
Expand the shift / rise / fall capability of the HTS to at least + / - 25mm.  Let user decide when too much for lens performance.

Dick Roadnight

Quote from: Steve C on January 07, 2011, 09:27:18 AM

Most important feature:  determine focus, depth of focus, sharpness in field without laptop.
Best solution:  outdoor visible Live View at shooting aperture with 100% magnification checkpoints on rear LCD
Otherwise:  largest possible rear LCD with highest resolution on sharpened JPEG image, must be as good as a laptop for judging focus, depth of focus, sharpness
*Wireless transfer of moderately compressed JPEG (~2 Mb) to iPad to view composition, sharpness at 100%, and star rank.  No need to run Phocus for image editing or tethered operation in field on any device.  Tethered operation is not feasible for environments that I work in (rain, snow, sea shores, mountain tops, etc).
*Focus mask ala Phase Capture One with user programmable sharpness levels visible on rear LCD.
*Show camera measured focus distance, near and far depth of focus, based on f-stop and focal length, on top or rear LCD.  User selectable circle of confusion value desireable.

*Eliminate reliability issues that often lock up camera now and require removing lens, battery, viewfinder, and multiple restarts to make camera work.
*Large RGB histogram with clear over / under-exposed indication per channel.  One channel can saturate now without indication on the existing histogram.  Show f-stop scale on bottom.
*Configurable INFO screen, ability to add data, ie focus distance, DOF, altitude from GIL, color Temp, etc.
*Configurable INFO screen sequence to include only desired screens.  For me, full image with Blinkies, RGB histogram, (exposure data), (top LCD info.)
*Configurable EXIF data shown in Phocus, add altitude, exposure GMT from GIL, color Temp, etc.
*User choice of storing RAW data as 3FR or FFF.  Current workflow too complex, Adobe support mixed.
*Ability to record audio notes attached to each exposure for data such as setup, filters, focus bracket / stitch info.
*Adjustable "Blinkie" level, fewer menu steps to get to LCD Brightness, Contrast settings.
*Auto set time and date when using GIL.  Often forget to do this when travelling to new time zones.
*Features promised last year in Phocus 2.6 (high resolution rear LCD, 3D leveling, top LCD info on rear LCD, etc)

Other important hardware changes:
Ability to remove back for cleaning without taking off prism finder.  Currently as mess to do in field.
Put lightmeter in camera body so Waist Level Finder can use auto exposure.
Make WLF folding like older V series.  Camera doesn't fit easily in backpack with WLF attached.
Allow use of a relatively inexpensive film magazine for backup if $35,000 digital back fails in field.
Allow interchanging of  Hasselblad digital backs and camera bodies.  Let user to decide if performance is good enough without focus calibration.  Makes backups much less expensive.
Remove marketing driven lock-outs that prevent HCD lenses from use on H1 and H2 cameras.
Better dust sealing / cover glass coating.  Currently, not a day goes by without things landing on the sensor, especially when changing lenses frequently.
Sensor resolution that just exceeds best lens resolution.  Getting close at 80 megapixels.
Develop more high-quality, lighter-weight zoom lenses.  100-300mm f5.6-f8 would be very useful.
Revise existing lenses, especially HCD lenses, so they cover the entire 60mpixel and beyond sensors.
Implement attachable battery on digital back for view camera use.  Best if same camera charger can be used.
Bigger buttons on camera body, more programming options, not so recessed in front so they are reachable when the HTS is attached.
Top LCD should slant to rear.  Currently useless when camera is on a tripod above chest level.
Multi-shot operation without laptop tethering.  Put control in camera body.
iPad camera control / viewing without tethered laptop and separate WIFI network required.  Bidirectional WiFi directly between camera and iPad or laptop.
Maximum size / quality rear LCD with touch screen operation.  Get rid of buttons.  Think iPod.
At least 2 interface options from FW800, FW3200, USB3, WIFI, LightPeak between camera and computer.  Real fear that FW800 is on its way out.  Getting harder to find computers that support it.
Rotation lock on HTS to prevent tragedy when attaching lenses.  Easy now to rotate a lens into position thinking it is attached only to find that the HTS rotated and it isn't.
Tripod socket on the lens side of the HTS for perfect flat stitching without lens movement.
Ability to use 120mm macro, 150mm, 210mm lenses on HTS.
Expand the shift / rise / fall capability of the HTS to at least + / - 25mm.  Let user decide when too much for lens performance.

Some of this is in the pipeline as firmware updates?

Most of it can be achieved on the H4D.

I hope they take you on to head-up their technical department ( If not, I am available).
H4D-60, 50-100mm, 300mm, CF, Flexbody, P3

David Grover

Quote from: Steve C on January 07, 2011, 09:27:18 AM

Hi Steve,

All great input. ;)

Just to make you aware a few things wouldn't be possible with firmware alone without hardware changes.

The measured focus distance isn't possible to read from the lens.  We know which zone the lens is in (which is recorded as a value of 1 - 11) but no actual distance.  To get that data would require major changes to the lens hardware.

Audio notes would require the use of a microphone which is not present on the H3D/H4D

It would not be possible to store 3F files on the camera without significantly reducing burst rate and write time to CF.  (But I 100% agree Adobe support is mixed and needs to be improved)

Wireless transfer would also require additional hardware which may impair battery life somewhat.

When can you start at HQ. :)

D

Dick Roadnight

Quote from: David Grover on January 07, 2011, 08:57:18 PM

Hi Steve,

All great input. ;)

The measured focus distance isn't possible to read from the lens.  We know which zone the lens is in (which is recorded as a value of 1 - 11) but no actual distance.  To get that data would require major changes to the lens hardware.

When can you start at HQ. :)

D

Hi, David...

DOF is, I think, to many of us, the major problem with MF... so I think you should start work on some way to display it... it would be nice if future lenses did give readouts of the focus distance, and we could use the system for auto focus stack merge, which might confirm your establishment as market leader.

Readout of the focus zone info would be useful, would it not? Would that be possible? You say the data is recorded? where?

A lazer measure could be designed as a clip-on accessory and display DOF info.

While you are considering improvements for the next generation of lenses, remote (powered) zoom would be very useful for many applications.

The option of WiFi communication to remote computers would be great, but, if we tether to a laptop, can we not get the laptop to send files anywhere automatically after each exposure?

H4D-60, 50-100mm, 300mm, CF, Flexbody, P3

Alex Maxim

Looks like the new P1 back will have some of the features we wanted in H.
Touchscreen, high quality lcd, weather sealing, USB, charging battery from a computer, more dynamic range...
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/phase_one_iq180_announced.shtml

I am sure, Hasselblad can and will do better, though.

Henry

Alex,

Agreed and can't wait (though my bank manager might have a say!) - specially if the P1 screen really does mean an end to the need to have a laptop in the field....

Henry

fotografz

Full time:  Product, Advertising, Wedding and Portrait.

My wish list is simple. Like a broken record ...

A dual shutter H camera. Black. Reasonably weather protected. Better battery and battery charger.

40 meg full frame (size like the 60) ...  don't need all the meg, but would like the size with current sensor technology.

Useable High res. LCD for mobile location work. Don't care if it is touch screen ... just quick to zoom in and scroll ... if touch screen is the best way to do that, then fine.

Delivery of products when they are announced, and trade promotions that don't treat things like a H3D and H3D-II at the same value.

-Marc

glennedens

Nick,

Hope it is not too late to provide some thoughts:

Megapixels

40 Megapixel full-frame
In an imaginary perfect world the ability to pull the bayer sensor off and shoot monochrome (i know lots of issues)

LCD

Brighter, better color LCD, more dots, and have camera shooting information displayed on LCD while shooting and making settings - F/stop, shutter speed, ISO, ev comp, etc.  In most landscape work the upper LCD on the grip is useless and often i can't get to the viewfinder.  Or remote control from an iPhone app.

Battery life

Well it should be better than it is, i should be able to get through a day with two batteries, cost = high, capacity = low compared to others
A battery pack option that drives the camera and back from a large remote battery plugged into the FW port.

Battery accessories

Dual charger, 12 VDC input to charger and cigarette lighter cable,
A battery top cover that has a movable flag for battery used or charged, or a test LED bar graph to show charge state of the battery, in the bag things get mixed up.

Phocus features

Dust and spot tool, but better yet, kill Phocus and move functions to Aperture or LightRoom as an advanced plug-in (i know there are some architectural issues)

3rd party software integration

Yes do all DAC, etc. corrections as an Aperture plug-in, of course this means Apple needs a better RAW plug-in architecture.

New Lenses

The lens line up is fine.  Lighter versions?  90-200 zoom to complement the 35-90?

Other Accessories

A bluetooth interface for GPS logging with a remote bluetooth GPS transmitter to replace that horrid lame GPS accessory that will not fit with any L-bracket (Kirk, RRS, etc.), is overpriced and one of the worst performing GPS units i've used.

Tethering solutions

Wi-Fi 802.11N It is 2011 after all :)  No wires to the host computer.

Speciality solutions (ariel reproduction for example)

The ability to drive the lens to infinity position with certainty (astronomical work, etc.)
The ability to do a bracketed focus sweep of shots with driving the lens through a fixed interval of distance for each shot

Frame rates

Fine for my work

ISO performance

Do dark frame subtraction to get rid of the hot pixels.
More is better 3,200 ISO that is usable would be nice.

Anything else

The ability to override the brightness of the viewfinder data display back light, it is never bright enough for me.
Some form of live view for manual focus confirmation
Or magnifier in the viewfinder for manual focusing
Move to SD card storage, with two slots (this one is a tough call)
A brighter more powerful focus assist lamp maybe integrated into the flash unit so that good exposures can be made in darker light conditions
Move all grip LCD setting menus to rear display, improve the quality of the grip LCD, it is really crappy in this day and age so that all camera functions can be reviewed and set from the rear display.

Thanks and respectfully,

Glenn Edens