MacBook Air

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithL

Has anyone here tried running Phocus on a MacBook Air?

Good, bad, indifferent, impossible?

TIA

Keith

grandguru

You left out pointless! No firewire.

KeithL

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Quote from: grandguru on December 03, 2010, 01:22:22 AM
You left out pointless! No firewire.

Only if you shoot tethered, not the province of rich dentists, but still useless because of the limited graphics, I think.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Alex Maxim

I tried to shoot on location with a laptop, a couple of times, not Macbook air, sorry, but in my case the display in sun light was totally unusable and I had to switch to the camera lcd with a hood.

KeithL

Hi Guys, for the moment I'm just researching various possibilities.

I'm looking for something as light and compact as possible, actually I'd prefer PC to Mac - I know, heresy! - with enough grunt to run Phocus. It would primarily be used when working overseas to access the internet and email and to evaluate and back-up files. Tethering wouldn't be an issue. I'm not expecting anything fast but would hope for glitch free operation. I'm currently resorting to using FlexColor on an Acer NetBook.

Keith (who unfortunately is not a rich anything)  :'(

David Grover

You could try the 13" MBP but might be a bit weedy graphics wise.

Otherwise the 15" MBP is pretty nice to travel with.

D

Dustbak

Quote from: KeithL on December 03, 2010, 09:12:23 PM
I'm looking for something as light and compact as possible, actually I'd prefer PC to Mac -

Why not use a 15". I have one and it is quite good in handling Phocus. It is also small enough to travel with. It is not particularly light but it is sturdy. Get it with a SSD and you will have a minimum of moving parts.

Put Bootcamp with Windows7 on it and you will have a really fast and sturdy PC laptop with a firewire 800 port built-in. My first MBP I used with Windows only for months. The best Windows laptop I ever owned.

KeithL

Guys, many thanks.

I had a feeling that anything smaller and lighter than a MBP or PC eqivalent wasn't going to be a practical solution when running Phocus. I was living in hope and had to ask  ;)

Keith

ashandger

I am going through the same process at present and came across Sony Vaio Z series 13inch with SSD and a high def screen with carbon fibre body which weighs about 1.4Kgs....approx the same as Macbook Air! You can get it with i7 processors and 8GB RAM. Would love to receive feedback on this option?
Many thanks,
Ash

jeff.grant@pobox.com

What is the video memory size. 256MD won't cut it, 512 is OK.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

grandguru

Although the Sony Z series seem to be very well spec'ed I notice they do not have a firewire port. In fact firewire ports fitted as standard are becomming less commonplace. So what is going to be the next computer interface.

I am thinking that there are an awful lot of eggs in one (fire)wire basket.

Alex Maxim