7.2volt vs 9.6volt batteries for H1

Previous topic - Next topic

Alastair Bird

Hello all,
I have an H1 which I use with a cf-39. In this situation the camera battery powers the camera; the battery on the back powers the back.  As a consequence the camera battery lasts forever - even the old 9.6v one.  However, I felt it foolish to have only one battery grip, so I bought a second.  Try as I might, I could NOT get another 9.6 v grip, I had to get a newer 7.2 v grip.  However, when I put the 7.2 v grip on the camera it reads as being almost empty. I'm going to let it charge up over night and try it again, but it did occur to me:  Can you use a 7.2 v battery on the H1? It has the latest firmware.  Thanks.

grandguru

The 7.2 volt grips work fine on the H1 and are a big improvement, but please keep up with the latest firmware releases, see the info below from another posting.

The lithium grips have a memory chip in them to meter the charge in and out but this can get confused if, for example, the battery is left stored for some time and some of the charge is lost but not through use. The result is a 'fuel gauge' that is not accurate. The lithium batteries are very robust and rarely go wrong or lose capacity so use this technique below to reset the 'fuel gauge' (my words).

1. Fully charge a battery pack.
2. Press and hold the menu-flash buttons on the camera.
3. Attach the battery pack to the camera.

A beep lasting the duration of 1.5 seconds will be heard and the factory defaults have been restored.

Alastair Bird

Quote from: grandguru on November 26, 2010, 10:28:29 PM
The 7.2 volt grips work fine on the H1 and are a big improvement, but please keep up with the latest firmware releases, see the info below from another posting.

The lithium grips have a memory chip in them to meter the charge in and out but this can get confused if, for example, the battery is left stored for some time and some of the charge is lost but not through use. The result is a 'fuel gauge' that is not accurate. The lithium batteries are very robust and rarely go wrong or lose capacity so use this technique below to reset the 'fuel gauge' (my words).

1. Fully charge a battery pack.
2. Press and hold the menu-flash buttons on the camera.
3. Attach the battery pack to the camera.

A beep lasting the duration of 1.5 seconds will be heard and the factory defaults have been restored.

Thanks Grandguru - I shall give it a try today.

Alastair Bird

By Jove, I think that's done it.  Thanks for the info.