Which Hasselblad for me? H4D-40?

Previous topic - Next topic

nicksouth

Hello all, i am currently using a Canon 1Ds Mk3 and Zeiss 21mm prime for landscape photography.

Results are nice but i am considering the move to medium format to bring results up to the next level.

I have been looking at the H4D-40 as i good compromise between resolution/cost and most importantly long exposure ability. The H3DII-39 also looks good, and cheaper, but lacks the 4 min exposure ability, however i read in other posts that this may be a soon available in-camera upgrade?

Lens options also have me scratching my head. I shoot 100% landscapes and the 28mm looks the goods but the 35-90mm could also be an option. Just concerned the 35mm end of the zoom may lack the required field of view??

Any help would be much appreciated!
Cheers Nick.

NickT

Hi Nick
The H4D40 is the latest technology and the High ISO performance is very impressive IMO for medium format, it also has true focus which is cool. There are quite a few posts about it on my blog:

http://www.nick-t.com/blog/tag/h4d40/

The H3D39 is a physically bigger chip which might matter to you if wide angle coverage is important.

As for the focal length I do love my 28mm but I'll leave the landscape chaps to answer as to which they prefer. Be sure to read what Derek and others have written in the lens section.

http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php/board,20.0.html

Feel free to give me a ring at the studio should you have further questions.
Cheers
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

nicksouth

HI Nick,

Thanks for your advice. Think im leaning towards the H4D-40 as the H39 is discontinued technology, reckon the 40 would be a better investment.

The 28mm looks like an outstanding bit of glass, and in the past mid range zooms tended to stay in the bag with a wide prime seeing the most action.

Look forward to any more words of wisdom.

Cheers
Nick.