HCD 4,0-5,6/35-90

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael H. Cothran

Stephen - something else I just happened to think of - For added security with my rig (and since the picture), I added an indexer, or "stop" to the rail, one in front of, and one behind the double clamps. Item # MPR-B from RRS - $15 each, 2 for $25. This limits how far the camera can slide fore & aft should I forget to retighten the bottom clamp at any given time. :D

stpf8

Ah, success.  I have the RRS long lens support package as pictured in Michael Cothran's second photo on the second page of this thread.  Unfortunately, the screw for the clamp that holds the camera's L-plate is wedged between the camera body/sensor and the RRS camera bar.  It is somewhat recessed and difficult to reach, let alone apply any pressure to either tighten or loosen the clamp.  I eventually chose the same solution as Michael and replaced the B2-mAS clamp that holds the L-plate with a B2-40 clamp that uses a lever rather than a screw knob.  While the lever is very firm, it was still relatively easy to loosen and tighten the clamp holding the H4D's L-plate, and the setup works well.  As Michael noted, care must be taken to position the camera body at the correct left-right position so that the lens hits the "Y" support equally (more or less) on both sides, and that was easy to do.

I will also use this lens support package for other lenses, notably a Canon 500mm f/4 telephoto.  The tripod foot of the lens is parallel to the RRS camera bar, and the two-clamp package allows the connecting screw to be loosened so that the clamps can be rotated with respect to each other, thereby enabling an L-plate to be clamped left to right or, alternatively, a telephoto foot to be clamped front to back.  It simply requires a hex key to loosen the connecting screw so that the clamps can be rotated 90 degrees and then re-tightened.

RRS strongly recommends using only RRS or Wimberly plates in this clamp, because it apparently is not user-adjustable as is their ballhead clamp.  I have a Jobu replacement foot for my Canon 500mm lens, and it secures that lens plate without any doubt or hesitation.

I'm happy to have some additional support for the 35-90mm lens to relieve some of the pressure that a lens this size produces on the H4D camera flange, and this is especially true if I might elect to carry the camera & lens for any distance while on the tripod.  I'm likely to use this support system for the HC 210mm lens as well as the HC 300mm lens if I'm ever fortunate to add this last lens to my bag.  In addition, I'm hoping the RRS lens support package will add a bit more stability to my Canon telephoto lenses by having two points of contact, although there is also a 5 cm increase in height of the lens above the tripod with this extra setup.
Stephen Penland
www.stephenpenland.com

hvk

This looks like a kludgy solution to me. Did you experience real problems with the lens mount? I have a six year old H2F with more than 100000 clicks. My 50-110 has more than 60000.

I work in the field all the time (industrial ruins and active industrial sites) and carry the combo mounted on my tripod.  The lens/body interface is still rock solid without any play whatsoever. Did I miss something? Is the 35-90 heavier than the 50-110?

Adding height above the pivot point of the ball head is (IMO) a bad idea.

/Henrik

stpf8

Henrik, very early on I did experience miscommunication between my 35-90 lens and H4D body.  Looking at and moving this combination on a tripod certainly gives the feeling of stability and durability, but carrying the same combination over the shoulder and out of sight leaves me wondering what extra pressure is being put on the lens-camera interface as I walk.  An entirely separate issues has been my desire to have additional stability for large telephoto lenses that I use on this same tripod with a different camera system.  Finally, a third separate issue has been my desire to more easily adjust a camera to the nodal point for some of my stitched photos, and a longer camera bar was important to accomplish this.  When I put all three of these separate reasons together, a RRS long lens support system seemed like a logical solution that would address all of them.  I agree that the additional 5 cm in height above the tripod is counterproductive to achieving stability, but I'm hopeful that the second point of contact on the lens will more than make up for this very modest increase in height.  Finally, taking much of the pressure off the H4D lens flange is more of an insurance policy than a remedy to a current and known problem.  As with all insurance policies, I hope it is never needed, but having a setup that addresses a potential problem (though largely unknown except for one instance) plus two other known issues made this something I wanted to incorporate in my field setup.
Stephen Penland
www.stephenpenland.com

jeff.grant@pobox.com

It only looks kludgy because RRS is in the Lego business. In their effort to be all things to all people, they have created a nightmare for folks like me. I am eternally grateful to Michael for working out this solution. Having seen his post, and knowing that I always walk around with my gear attached to the tripod by an L bracket it sounded like a good insurance policy to me. As for the extra height, I am hoping that the extra stability provided by the lense support, will counter any loss of stability by the extra height incurred. This gear is not like a centre column. It's all tightly held down and mad of solid alloy.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Michael H. Cothran

Something else - The rail can slide fore & aft on the tripod head, allowing you to perfectly balance the camera/lens combo on your head. And having a well balanced camera on top, going straight down the center of the tripod, has to be beneficial on some level.
If it's overkill, so be it. I have peace of mind each time I trip the shutter that I'm getting the best results possible (except when I screw up elsewhere).

Juan Pascual Garrido

Hasselblad H3DII-39   
35-90 mm. at 50 mm.
f6.3
1/125 sec.
50 iso
www.juanpascual.es

meshuggener

www.matantoniassi.com
www.facebook.com/matantoniassi

Drchevalier

Some really nice images and some great thoughts, particularly on lens support.

Would those who own and shoot the 35-90 in non-static scenarios, such as for walking around shooting or hardly unobtrusive street work recommend this lens?  I presently own the 28, 80, 120 II Macro and 300 and am feeling a gap between the 28 and the 80.  I could go with a 50mm and zoom with my feet but the great reviews overall are drawing me this way.

I know I have to make the final decision but I am very impressed by the members here and will value whatever opinions you choose to share.

Thanks!

Ross

stpf8

Ross, IMO the versatility of a zoom lens, as long as it has very high IQ, is hard to beat.  I like to compose and crop via the viewfinder, and this lens enables me to do that more quickly than changing my location or changing my lens.  Fortunately, the IQ is also there with this lens.  I think I could be very happy with my H4D-40 and just this single lens (despite the fact that I've acquired all of the other lenses outside the focal length range of this zoom).  Some of the places I like to photograph, such as interiors of forests, make it difficult to zoom with my feet, and this zoom lens helps in that regard.  In other places (e.g., marine intertidal zone, sandy deserts, gypsum flats), I'm reluctant to change lenses, especially if the wind is blowing, and again this zoom helps in that regard.
Stephen Penland
www.stephenpenland.com

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Ross, you may be a lot stronger than me, but I wouldn't even contemplate hand holding the 35-90. I have done it once, from a helicopter, shooting at ISO 400 and shutter priority at a 500th but for anything else I just wouldn't even contemplate it.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Greg

The lens is quite hefty, but can be handheld.  I certainly would not want to lug it around for very long.

Here is an image taken from the open window of a Cessna 172.  It was done with an H4D60 and 35-90 HCD lens.  It probably should have been at a 500th, but it was done at a 250th.

Greg

Drchevalier

To Stephen, Jeff and Greg, thanks very much for your candid guidance.   All the information is good.  I like the concept of versatility but will need to consider the weight factor as my hands are beginning to pay attention to their age.  i do not anticipate hanging out of a helicopter or Cessna to make images, but I must say it sounds like great fun.  I shoot with the 120 II macro handheld a lot, and it too is no lightweight and admit I get fatigued some time. 

I think I will head to a dealer in Toronto and try to put hands-on on my own camera for a bit to see how it feels, maybe even rent it for a weekend.

Ross

Martin

recently i have got two of these lenses here and I was totally disappointed.
Is it possible that I have got TWO bad copies of this lens?
@ 35mm sharpness was ok, compared to my 35mm prime a little bit better in the corners. equal center sharpness.
@ 80 & 90mm the 35-90 lenses were both way way less sharp than my 80mm prime, even until f16.
regards, martin