HCD 4/28

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithL

Swissblad

Amazing series of "passed lives" Keith - keep em coming!
Love your use of the 28mm lens!

KeithL

Quote from: Swissblad on November 13, 2011, 10:05:55 PM
Amazing series of "passed lives" Keith - keep em coming!
Love your use of the 28mm lens!

Swissblad, many thanks indeed.

It's good to see you here!

Best

Keith

Juan Pascual Garrido

The Fisherman
f.6,8 - 6 seconds - 50 iso
www.juanpascual.es

TareqPhoto

Banding in this shot, not sure why?!!!

TareqPhoto

Martin

Hi Hasselbuddies ;)
I have a little problem with the HC Lenses 28 and 35 when the sun is in the picture.
I get this major, real bad looking sunray, looking supernatural and way too long to be not removed in post.
This one big sunray turns clockwise when rotating the camera. So when I shoot in potrait the sunray points to the right side.

Does anyone else have this problem?
I am using a Hasselblad skylight filter. check out the picture (i know its underexposed....)

GeorgeTelis

This doesn't seem to be a lens issue. The line is way to straight and has some kind of weird noise. It may has to do with the sensor i am afraid  :(

Martin

ouh that would be bad news!
I bought the camera second hand from "the procentre UK". I couldn't see any other issues, except of this one. It was marked as "mint".

Alastair Bird

I'm sure there is someone on the board who can explain it better than I, but that is a standard response from a digital sensor when you're shooting into the sun. I've had it on all my Hasselblad backs.  I don't know recall what the situation is exactly, but I believe it has to do with the sensor not being able to deal with all the bright data. I don't believe there is any solution, other than Photoshop, and luck.

GeorgeTelis

Many digital sensors have similar issues a specially CCD's. The issue is known as Vertical smear http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge-coupled_device . I had a similar issue with a D700 but only at iso 5000 and up.

jeff.grant@pobox.com

If I remember correctly, the H3D had a flare issue that was corrected on the II. Perhaps that's the problem?
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Alastair Bird

Derek,
I believe the situation is exacerbated with intense, bright light (not that what you're showing is anything different) but I think the grad ND does play a large part. If you're shooting into the sun in the afternoon with nothing more than a polarizer and exposing for your foreground then it can rear its ugly head. I found on my CF-39 the response is MUCH better than with my old Ixpress, but I can get it when I shoot into the sun with no compensation for the sun.
However, I'm keen to be refuted and I'm by no means an expert in this matter - except that if I have to shoot into the sun I bracket my exposures carefully and I try to remember the ND.

Martin

thanks for all the answers!
I have the h3dII too, but didn't know that i had to put on a ND filter. did't make sense too because i needed fast shutter speeds (as hasselblads shutterspeeds can be described as "fast" ha ha ha)

From Hasselblad I got this message here:
Extreme light sources can cause blooming on the CCD sensor. The sensor is capable of handling 200 x max exposure. If that amount is exceeded it will affect adjacent pixels and cause this blooming effect. This is absolutely normal and is not a sign of a defective CCD.

Alex Maxim

Quote from: maddin on January 16, 2012, 11:45:29 PM
Hi Hasselbuddies ;)
I have a little problem with the HC Lenses 28 and 35 when the sun is in the picture.
I get this major, real bad looking sunray, looking supernatural and way too long to be not removed in post.
This one big sunray turns clockwise when rotating the camera. So when I shoot in potrait the sunray points to the right side.

Does anyone else have this problem?
I am using a Hasselblad skylight filter. check out the picture (i know its underexposed....)

I had a similar issue with a DSLR and sometimes I have it with H when I point the camera at the sun or directly at a strobe. It never happened during sunrise or sunset.
My guess was that the whole row of sensor cells gets overheated. But it seems that the wikipedia's article, George referred to, explains it.

A couple of stops can solve the problem. Try underexposing a little and see when the streak disappears, try adding gradient filters.