HTS 1.5

Previous topic - Next topic

rem

Thanks MW and Monthy, I will really invest more time to use this nice part. Also for portraiture, I saw some cool head shots i a exhibition (not sure, made with the HTS).
lg, rem

ghoonk

Question for HTS1.5 users who use shift for stitching:

I have a Horseman SWD-II with the Schneider 24mm f5.6 APO-Digitar XL lens and I need to do LCC for each shifted capture. Is this required with the HTS 1.5 or does Phocus correct for this in software?

jonathan.lipkin

I'm not sure what you mean by LCC - when using the HTS on a Hasselblad, one shoots a calibration image to correct for falloff and color shift, which is most pronounced when using shift. Not so noticable with tilt.

I do quite a bit of stitching with the HTS and shoot a calibration image for each shot. Sometimes I forget and simply shoot one in the studio with similar t/s settings. Under similar lighting conditions, the color shift is fairly consistent.

So, if I set the HTS to a particular t/s setting on a shoot, I will shoot a frame with a piece of opaque plexi over the lens. In Phocus, I use this to create a calibration image that can be applied to any image shot under those conditions with that t/s setting.

ghoonk

Yep. What you just explained was basically setting up an LCC profile. Aside from the Hasseblad, I also shoot with a Horseman SWD-II with the 24mm Schneider APO-Digitar XL and an Aptus 54S back in V mount. When shooting with the Horseman, I need to use the white plexi (an LCC- see http://www.captureintegration.com/store/phase-one-accessories/) to measure and correct light falloff (vignetting) and color casts, which I do in Capture One Pro 6.3.

We're talking about the same thing, so now I understand that the HTS 1.5 will require an LCC profile for each shot (which is fine) :)

Thanks!

jonathan.lipkin

Derek is correct. You only need to shoot a calibration image if your have noticable color shifts in your images. This may vary with a particular lens, shift or lighting situation. I do a lot of shift in my images, and so shiit caikbration as a matter of coure. Your milage may vary.

ghoonk

From what I understand, color shifts are more likely to happen with wider lenses than longer ones. I haven't tried it myself, but I was under the impression that LCC was required. Derek's experience seems to be otherwise, which is good news for me :)

jonathan.lipkin

Most definitely will post examples. Wont be in my stuio for a few days, though. Certainly by monday if not sooner.

jonathan.lipkin

Here is an example with a large amount of shift, which has created a noticeable green/magenta shift. The image parameters are:
H3d39ii with HTS and HC 50mm lens, bright summer sunlight.
HTS settings: tilt: 0; shift: -10.8; rotation:0
ISO 100
1/30th at f/32

Processed out of Phocus with no sharpening applied. JPEGS are below. Full tiffs are available at: http://www.jlipkin.com/temp/shift.zip

jonathan.lipkin

Here's a video from Hasselblad on scene correction:

http://htv.hasselblad.com/video/scene-calibration-tool?current-channel=education-training&page=18

The Hasselblad tech I spoke with told me to create the calibration with a piece of translucent plexiglas, and to open up about two stops from the auto exposure reading - Phocus likes it to be about 1-2 stops from 18% gray.

rem

H4d-40 with 28mm + HTS 1.5

jerome_m

Did somebody try the HTS with the new version of the HC 50mm lens? How are the results?

Some background explanations to my question:
On the Hasselblad site, there is a pdf with mtf curves for various lenses used with the HTS. The MTF curves with some lenses (HC 35mm and 50mm) look rather poor and the legend to the curve with the HC 50mm says it is version II. However, an older document uses exactly the same mtf curve but says it is version I. The legend about "version II" is obviously an error and we do not have the curve with the new lens.

meshuggener

Quote from: Derek Jecxz on June 15, 2011, 02:39:39 PM
28mm + HTS + .6 ND + .9 ND Grad, f51 @ 1:21

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
www.jecxz.com

Hi Derek, very nice pictures ! How did you manage to shoot for 81 seconds if it was done with the H3DII-39 ? I thought it was limited to 64 seconds.
www.matantoniassi.com
www.facebook.com/matantoniassi

meshuggener

www.matantoniassi.com
www.facebook.com/matantoniassi

jerome_m

Just a quick note: if you want to shoot for 80 seconds on a back that only allows 60, make two exposures of 40s and merge them in post...

jerome_m

Hasselblad says that the 120 macro cannot be used with the HTS. I wondered whether they meant that it would give bad results or whether it would not mount physically. I tried it to day: the lens will not mount physically, the lens barrel is too wide. I thought that some people may want to know...