Retouch Artists' Speedtest

Previous topic - Next topic

TareqPhoto

I am looking for to buy a new machine, but i don't know which, in fact the only one i look at is the Mac Pro, but many told me to forget because it is outdated and better go with new iMac, it is faster, or building new PC with higher performance, i want to go only with Mac computer, i have PC laptop but i don't use it for photography workflow.

Monty Rakusen

Yes this is a terrible dilemma! I'm running a 6 year old macpro and I'm desperate to upgrade. I've already given it a new graphics card and a lot more memory but its just not fast enough. I could put a solid state drive in but I'm reluctant to throw any more money at it.
The macpros are excellent they're just very overdue for an upgrade they now are saying next year but thats what they said this time last year.Have a look on Mac rumours . I may be driven to buying the absolute top of the range iMac with an extra monitor and a thunderbolt storage system and its half the price of a top end Macpro.
The idea of the Macpro is that its upgradable and indeed 6-8 years out of a computer, my Macpro, is very good value for money, I doubt I'd get that out of an iMac.

You could buy a high spec Macpro and just live with it. Its still a great computer.

Monty

Dustbak

It was Tim Cook himself that mentioned a good upgrade for the MacPro in 2013 (he actually said next year). I have bought a MacPro a year ago and have never regretted it but at this point in time I would wait for next year unless I really need one. In that case I would just get it over with and get one because you have to work with something.