35mm to MF upgrade availability

Previous topic - Next topic

davidthescot

On Lula's discussion board there has been much talk about the recent announcements from Phase One regarding loyalty upgrades for P1 customers following an article published in BJP.

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/1735801/phase-one-were-brand-camera-design

This is clearly an aspect of the ongoing fierce competition between Hasselblad and Phase One.  There may be something I do not know about by why isn't there a competitive upgrade path from the high end Nikon and Canon platforms to Hasselblad.  I accept that MF would not be suitable for a large number of 35mm users but, given the size of the high end 35mm user base, there must be a significant number who could be persuaded of the benefits of switching to MF.  As an upgrade policy this has the benefit of avoiding a costly buildup of older bodies and backs as the 35mm kit could be easily resold through Ebay. Canon use Ebay to get rid of ex-demo and returned items to great effect - couldn't Hasselbald do the same?  This would be a great service to the high end photographic community and increase the size of the MF market.

Dick Roadnight

Quote from: davidthescot on September 29, 2010, 09:38:22 PM
On Lula's discussion board there has been much talk about the recent announcements from Phase One regarding loyalty upgrades for P1 customers following an article published in BJP.

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/1735801/phase-one-were-brand-camera-design

This is clearly an aspect of the ongoing fierce competition between Hasselblad and Phase One.  There may be something I do not know about by why isn't there a competitive upgrade path from the high end Nikon and Canon platforms to Hasselblad.  I accept that MF would not be suitable for a large number of 35mm users but, given the size of the high end 35mm user base, there must be a significant number who could be persuaded of the benefits of switching to MF.  As an upgrade policy this has the benefit of avoiding a costly buildup of older bodies and backs as the 35mm kit could be easily resold through Ebay. Canon use Ebay to get rid of ex-demo and returned items to great effect - couldn't Hasselbald do the same?  This would be a great service to the high end photographic community and increase the size of the MF market.

Perhaps Phase are worried about loosing their market, and Hasselblad can sell all they can make?
H4D-60, 50-100mm, 300mm, CF, Flexbody, P3