Filter on HCD28

Previous topic - Next topic

perjorgen

I had a little vigneting on HCD28 when using a UV filter. This was solved using a grinder.
The thread seems to be of good quality so the grinded chip fits on the same place (untill now).
(There is a filter without a thread from B+W but they don't have a cap for it)

The process (do it only on your own responsibility):
Since I prefere to keep the UV filter on to save the outer glass I sacrificed the casing for the filter.
4 holes was cut in the casing and strings was used to fixate the filter on a piece of wood so it cant turn when grinded. The white foam from the casing was used to protect the glass and a few cotton pads was used to fixate the foam.
When using the grinder be sure it is turning away from the glass so the metal pieces doesn't hit the glass. If you grind through the plastic i will melt and catch most of the metal dust.

pchong

interesting...perhaps I am not looking hard enough, but I have not noticed that having a UV filter on my 28 causes it to vignette...can you show some examples of the vignetting? I have the Hassy 95mm UV filter on my HCD28.

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Neither have I. I use a B+W slimfilter.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

rsmphoto

Jeff, What's your solution for a lens cap with the slim filter? Any?

Richard

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Richard, I use the Lee push on caps. From memory, I got them from Robert White years ago. They fit perfectly. £ 3.00 for 3.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

rsmphoto

Many thanks. Probably the least expensive modificaton I've ever had to make!

perjorgen

Quote from: pchong on September 09, 2010, 02:02:21 PM
interesting...perhaps I am not looking hard enough, but I have not noticed that having a UV filter on my 28 causes it to vignette...can you show some examples of the vignetting? I have the Hassy 95mm UV filter on my HCD28.
Well, it has been a problem on the pol-filter which (I notice now) is slightly thicker than the UV-filter
This a picture I took on the Roskilde Festival where you can see some vigneting

If the UV-filter is used with the pol-filter then vigneting is quite serious and in that case this mod will reduce it - I know the pol-filter should go on the outside but then you need to remove the whole thread on the pol-filter