GPU (CUDA) TESLA SUPPORT IN PHOCUS ?? Is it possible?

Previous topic - Next topic

Nico

I wonder why the producers did not have long had the idea to deliver the equipment dedicated to their cameras. Optimized hardware to software, not vice versa. (Hardware support for each feature) I am concerned about the processing of files in almost real time. Unlimited number of images in a queue. No problems with hanging. And so everyone will pay for it. We know how much we pay for MFDB. Finally, there is technology based on the GPU. Who was the first uses of this technology in the software and what it will bring results. Does this make sense? I think so.
What do you think about it? My dream is NVIDIA Tesla Personal Supercomputer.

BR
Maciej

Alex Maxim

I had the same thought just yesterday. Hopefully we all have it soon but for now the technology is relatively new and paying 15K for a workstation to save half an hour of processing time a day seems a bit high. I would make sense if you do 3D renderings all the time.
There is a hope, in a couple of years it will get cheaper and more popular and the technology will be supported by all software developers.

Alex

Nico

Listen, we rent a lot of equipment and studio. Good station - which can be read as stress-free work will cost 12 thousand euros. (Mac Pro 8 Core, 32GB RAM, RAID-0 disk-based SSD) Yet there are stability problems, check focus at work when the pictures are in the queue is nearly impossible. Of course, this can be done but it could end up badly - not all pictures come down from the buffer. One card Tesla and of course, adequate preparation software can settle this problem once and for all. I will not mention already exporting, such as 1,300 photos. (One tiff exports an average of about 24s) could calmly go to a level of about 10 s. And that's more than half the time that we lose. Obviously the best solution would be to equip the camera with dedicated processing equipment - a PC with hardware-assisted each function. It is perfectly possible, Microsoft is using such equipment to their cameras to air photos (8 times larger chip, greater frequency of photos-all files are processed in real time) If I spend 40 thousand euro for the camera and lenses and I have to spend another 12 thousand on the computer, which still does not meet expectations. I'd rather spend 60 thousand and get a reliable system.

Best regards,
Maciej

Alex Maxim

Exporting 1300 photos, that's a serious amount of work you are doing there. I can have the same number of shots after a shoot, but I usually export only 20-30.
Are you shooting stop motion video with Hasselblad?

Here you can price a custom tesla workstation: http://www.avadirect.com/product_details_configurator.asp?PRID=14032

The configuration I'd be happy with was around 15K. We'll see how soon it'll become possible to run Phocus on it.

Alex

Nico

Hehehe, I'm not doing films on Hasselblad. Of course, chosen so as to mention twenty photos, one photo smometimes. But the agency does not want to develope  yourself RAW files and want to have all the material in tiff, just in case. And we lose too much time. Thanks for the link.
I am confident that someone eventually will get the idea.

Br
Maciej