Good news, if correct! Phocus 2.5

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve C

my two cents on this issue:  I'd much rather the software team worked on Phocus directly handling 3FR files without the need of importing, than work with other cameras.  It would eliminate the need to store both 3FR and FFF files to remain compatible with Adobe products.  I am also concerned that energy in the future will be diverted to supporting other cameras rather than improving the Hasselblad specific content.

alexkent

Quote from: Steve C on May 14, 2010, 03:03:08 AM
Phocus directly handling 3FR files without the need of importing

yes! i fully agree.
the whole idea of having to convert between two raw image formats as the manufacturer recommended workflow is bonkers.
if phocus used .3fr as it's 'native' format all of our workflows (whether using Phocus, ACR/LR, Aperture) would be simpler.

alex.

Hywel

I'll certainly be testing it out, but I don't see myself doing much RAW processing in Phocus for non-Hasselblad files... unless the quality is something really special, of course.

But keywording I will certainly investigate, as I like Phocus' keywording interface much better than either Lightroom's or Apertures's. I hope the metadata changes made in Phocus can be carried through the processing chain - will be the first thing I try out.

Cheers, Hywel.

NickT

Quote from: Steve C on May 14, 2010, 03:03:08 AM
  I am also concerned that energy in the future will be diverted to supporting other cameras rather than improving the Hasselblad specific content.

Don't be :)
Phocus is leveraging Apple's support for third party cameras  so it is Apple that will be devoting that time and energy..
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Stonemonkey

Did Hasselblad add eye droppers to the tone curve? I use them in Flex Color as part of my work flow and find Phocus useless without them.

alexkent

Quote from: Stonemonkey on May 15, 2010, 08:02:05 AM
Did Hasselblad add eye droppers to the tone curve? I use them in Flex Color as part of my work flow and find Phocus useless without them.

there is an eye-dropper for placing points on the Curve in Phocus 2.0.1, I thought it had always been there ?

alex.

rsmphoto

Tethered shooting with my 5DII is quite good with LR3 beta. Much, much better than DPP. Give it a try.

Quote from: christianhough on May 12, 2010, 08:37:27 PM

I'm interested in that too! Are we going to be able to shoot tethered with a Canon for example?
[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking. May be very useful... hopefully it means I can get rid of Canon DPP.

Best
Christian
[/quote]

Monty Rakusen

If you read the notes it say that tethered will not be available. And thank goodness..don't we have enough problems as it is?

Monty

martinnz

http://www.hasselblad.se/about-hasselblad/phocus-25-introduction.aspx
Link has been removed. Most of the video was about keyword transfer from other apps. Also new feature to place RGB values on the image at any location. Next was printing full image and then other third party input support. Regards Martin
MartinE is online now Report Post      Reply With Quote

barttan

My initial try with canon raw cr2 file (shot using 1Ds MkII) on Phocus 2.5 is as such - I am comparing with CS4 raw converter and Phocus 2.5

Sharpening control in phocus 2.5 is excellent equivalent to hasselblad 3fr files compare to CS4. Sharpening in CS4 has never been good. I usually choose zero sharpening during raw conversion. But Phocus 2.5 change that.

However in Phocus 2.5, you cant control the shadow fill, recovery and clarity so this may be a minus point. Of course the Noise filter, Scene calibration and Lens correction is also disable which is understandable.

The Jpeg convertered from Phocus also somehow removes certain color noise.

Please see photos attached.

Hywel

Sigh. So much for my dreams of an integrated workflow.

I had hoped to use Phocus as a keyworder for all my files, but it stores keywords for non-Hasselblad RAW files in a sidecar file... which ISN'T in a format which Aperture recognises.

So when I import a CR2 file keyworded in Phocus to Aperture, the metadata is not imported with it. Which means I can't use Phocus as the keywording front end to my workflow for all cameras as I'd hoped. Aperture reads the metadata from FFF files just fine, and also from XMP sidecar files written by Lightroom, but not the XMP sidecar .phos files from Phocus 2.5, even if you rename them to .xmp.

There's probably good reason why the XMP file format used by Adobe in Bridge/Lightroom was not used by the Phocus team, but it would have been nice!!!! I hope the Phocus team can talk to the Aperture team and see if this metadata exchange can be done properly. Without this, the ability to deal with non-Hasselblad RAW files in Phocus is pretty much useless to me I'm afraid. I won't be doing huge TIFF intermediates for every photo when Aperture's rendition of CR2 files is completely adequate, but I'd certainly have used Phocus' superior keywording interface to view-and-prep all my images in a first pass.

Cheers, Hywel.

Stonemonkey

Quote from: alexkent on May 15, 2010, 10:59:05 PM
Quote from: Stonemonkey on May 15, 2010, 08:02:05 AM

there is an eye-dropper for placing points on the Curve in Phocus 2.0.1, I thought it had always been there ?

alex.

I use the eyedroppers in FC to set absolute values quickly and easily in highlight and shadow and for neutral. The process is much more labor intensive in Phocus. My workflow depends on this ease of use.

Brian

Olaf Knarvik

I agree. I use the tone curve end points for negative-positive inversion when making repros of old glass-plates. This is still not possible in Phocus if I'm not mistaken, but is working fine in Flexcolor. If there is a way for inverting images in Phocus, please tell me  :)