Good news, if correct! Phocus 2.5

Previous topic - Next topic

Olaf Knarvik

Quote from: AKTkunst on May 12, 2010, 05:05:25 PM
Quote from: Derek Jecxz on May 12, 2010, 09:59:27 AM

Won't matter for me. I wonder how many PC users there are, 7?

;d

Paah, 8, me too!

9. Mac-arrogance is a fascinating issue, can't say I like it

Dustbak

I don't think it is Mac arrogance in this case. It is merely taking advantage of the possibilities that are embedded in the OS. I am pretty sure if Windows would provide the same support there would also be a Windows version of Phocus with 3rd party Raw support. Probably eventually there will be.

Mac users had to settle for an inferior Adobe CS4 for almost 2 years where Windows could utilize a 64bit Adobe CS4.

Simply said there are differences between the operating systems. Sometimes these will hurt Mac users and sometimes Windows users, or more positively. Sometimes Windows users have the advantage and sometimes Mac users.

As for Hasselblad taking care of Mac software first. If that is the case, which I am not saying it is, there can be a multitude of reasons. Personally, I think it is sane to help out the largest part of your customers first. If 85% of your customers are Mac users it is only natural your priority is there. Now, yes. I would be screaming bloody murder as well if I were still a Windows user but I would also be fully aware I would probably do the exact same thing if the situation was reversed.

aikbo

Quote from: meesh on May 12, 2010, 10:04:12 AM
really? not to rain on anyones parade, but why? i think we have been wanting to go the other way, use FFF in LR or Aperture...

I agree

Dustbak

Quote from: aikbo on May 12, 2010, 06:49:23 PM
really? not to rain on anyones parade, but why? i think we have been wanting to go the other way, use FFF in LR or Aperture...

I agree

I totally agree with both of you but what I keep hearing from everybody that knows anything about this we are at the mercy of Adobe on this.

Olaf Knarvik

Thanks for the reply, Dustbak. I can understand Hasselblad for their marked-based priorities. Its just that I have a PC at work, and it is very irritating that the only answer to many problems is: get a mac

Klaus Madengruber

Quote from: Alastair Bird on May 12, 2010, 10:44:47 AM
does 'adding RAW support' mean that you can tether to Phocus, too?  'cause that would be amazing. I took a quick look and I don't see anything that says, 'including shooting tethered to a computer, directly into Phocus'

I'm interested in that too! Are we going to be able to shoot tethered with a Canon for example?

Phil G

Good news Nick

However Aperture 3 conversion engine and tools will be hard to beat. If Phocus gives all the tools and processes that are available in A3 that would be a winner further reducing necessity to use Adobe PS

So if you don't want to be at the mercy of Adobe use Aperture3

You can import 3FR and .fff HBlad files directly into Aperture 3 have not tried with Lightroom as we stopped using it

As we import non HBlad files directly into Aperture Library and 'import' HBlad as Referenced files not sure it will make much difference to our work flow but it does give us  the option.

You could liken opening up  'Phocus' to smaller formats  to:  Mazarati or Fararri supporting kit car users  in the hope that a few might convert to the real thing when they can afford one.

But the reality is many of us use multiple formats the 35mm based DSLR's satisfy the needs of portability weatherproofing, flexibility etc... and now HD Video!   that's hard if not impossible for Hasselblad to compete without a major redesign so we end up having  to do what we have always done select the appropriate format etc for the task

Phil
Photography is not just an end in its self but a powerful vehicle for Learning

christianhough

[/quote]

I'm interested in that too! Are we going to be able to shoot tethered with a Canon for example?
[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking. May be very useful... hopefully it means I can get rid of Canon DPP.

Best
Christian
*...yes, and you Madam are ugly... but tomorrow I shall be sober*

Henry

Thanks for the e-mail, Nick - welcome news indeed for Mac users, but hopefully the PC version which gives all but the OSX-related imprvements won't be too far awaytoo!  For those who have asked the question, the press release states that tethering won't be available for non-Hasselblad cameras.... Pehaps one for 2.6?

Roll the 19th!  Henry

thodges

Adobe LR is so much more advanced than Phocus, works on both the Mac and PC platforms, with all Raw formats (including FFF), so I'm having trouble understanding the excitement about Phocus 2.5 now supporting other Raw formats !  Just stick with LR (or even Aperture for that matter), both of which are far more superior to Phocus.

Olaf Knarvik

Quote from: thodges on May 13, 2010, 12:20:37 AM
Adobe LR is so much more advanced than Phocus, works on both the Mac and PC platforms, with all Raw formats (including FFF), so I'm having trouble understanding the excitement about Phocus 2.5 now supporting other Raw formats !  Just stick with LR (or even Aperture for that matter), both of which are far more superior to Phocus.

Does Lightroom work with FFF/Hasselblad files?

alexkent

No, much to everyone here's continuing annoyance, LR doesn't support .FFF files.
Nor, technically, does LR 'instantiating the PS object model'. Lightroom shares a whole bunch of processing code with Adobe Camera Raw which allows LR and ACR to match (almost) their RAW conversion and settings storage systems. All this code is Adobe's own intellectual property and so there is no chance of Hasselblad (or any other 3rd party) building a RAW converter around it. Adobe may one day add .FFF compatibility to ACR/LR but they don't appear to be in a rush to do so.

I'm on the fence about whether processing 3rd party raw files in Phocus is a big deal. I'm much more excited that i can view other image files (JPG etc.) in Phocus at the same time as .FFF files.

regards,
alex.

NickDunmur

I think that was my first thought too!

:-)

kind regards

Nick D
Nick Dunmur — photographer
Nottingham, UK
+44 844 5855505

meesh

LR doesn't support FFF, only 3FR. I love my h350, I love the images I get from it, I hate and never use Phocus for editing shoots. I find it unusually slow and clumsy when trying to go through 20gb of images after a shoot. I don't believe that it is Adobe or Apple preventing the reading of Hasselblad RAW files, I think its Hasselblad, but thats just my guess. The newest Leaf files are readable in OSX and LR and Aperture.

I wish that energy was put into an ipad app that would show a VNC window of my tethered computer so I could have a small portable screen at my feet or wherever I wanted to place it, then I wouldn't have to go back to the tethering computer, to get a quick glance at what I shot...

david hartcorn

I hope 2.5 is faster- I am running a beast of a Mac Pro and simple things like cropping are laborious... I know we are pushing around big files and all, but really, 2.0 is slow...