Processors & Graphics cards in the new MBPro

Previous topic - Next topic

rsmphoto

To those of you who are far more knowledgeable about this stuff than I, a question.

Time for a new laptop...

Theoretically, how much (if any) difference might I see in Phocus's tethered capture (in particular) and processing performance using the i5 MBP with the Nvidia 330M (256MB) vs. the i7 MBP with the Nvidia 330M (512Mb)? Assume 8GB of RAM. Two things going on here - faster processor and more memory on the graphics card. Do you think the added cost warrants the "faster" appearing machine, OR would I be better served adding an SSD to the i5? Apple prices appear to be competitive for these, although I don't know which brand they're selling and performance does vary from brand to brand.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Richard

Dustbak

The only thing that is making me consider the i7 version is the 512mb video memory. The faster processor isn't that overwhelming to me.

The SSD I certainly will get. It depends what is standard in the new MBP whether I will get that or the crucial from OWC. I fear the one that is supplied by Apple will be a substandard one compared to the crucial. I am giving it a bit of time to find out which brand SSD is in the Apple standard.

OTOH. A couple of hundred more for a smoother performance of Phocus due to the extra video memory isn' t that much of a price.

rsmphoto

FWIW here's the first review I've found that includes a basic CS4 performance test with the new MB Pros... also note the app launch time test that includes the MacBook Air w/SSD.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3659/apples-15inch-core-i5-macbook-pro-the-one-to-get/3

davidthescot

Hi

Check out also this very good site for the best info on SSD drives on the MBPro (no I am not connected but it is a very useful site).

http://macperformanceguide.com/index.html

David

Dustbak

Poehieee!! I just finished installing & prepping my new MBP 15/i7 with a crucial 256GB SSD (should have gotten the OWC) but that is a major improvement. Lightning fast. Phocus now takes less than 25sec's to export a .FFF file to a 16bit Tiff.

Everything starts in seconds and booting takes appr. 10 seconds from scratch.

I think I will enjoy this a lot.

Not sure about the screen though. I have to get used to the smaller pixels, I guess that is a matter of time.

Monty Rakusen

Yes the i7 is very fast when shooting tethered. The images seem to come in instantly but I still get problems scrolling through the images as it cant seem to keep up, still in comparison to my old MBPro this is amazing!

I'm very paranoid about the 800 fw port and have designed a plastic clip that holds the cable in and straight and level but still have witnessed just a few of those purple frames and strange behaviour that you never got from 400.I have on order a right angle 800male to 800 female about 12" long and this will be taped into the socket and held underneath the machine next to the external battery. I'll probably experience the same problems but make the port safe at least.

Otherwise this is working great.

Monty Rakusen