Hasselblad H 2900/3200 battery re-cell/upgrade

Previous topic - Next topic

docholliday

TL;DR: Hasselblad 2900/3200 H batteries can be easily upgraded to 3500mah for around $50 per pack (plus a $37 hazmat fee per order)...

For a while now, I've been looking for a replacement cell/pack to update the 2900/3200mah Hasselblad H5/H6 batteries. These batteries don't have anything special to them, containing only a pair of 18650 lithium cells, a cell balance board, and a charge controller board. So to me, the high cost of a new retail pack at ~$300 is not cost effective. And, of course, buying used packs is a shot in the dark, since one doesn't know how badly the pack was treated, how many charge cycles that pack has already been through, and the true remaining capacity of the cells. Well, at least without taking one apart and placing the cell pack on an analyzer. And, which can only occur after buying the pack, so I didn't want the headache of having to go returning it.

Here's my notes on how I did mine, in case somebody else out there wants to get "new" packs for a fraction of the cost. Two packs with shipping/tax/class 9 fee ended up slightly less than $150. I've fixed/upgraded two packs for 1/2 the cost of a new OEM pack! I hope this helps somebody and saves them some money!

Most lithium pre-made packs have their charge balance board applied axially to the end of the pack, so it's too tall to fit into the grip. The balance boards on these need to be laterally installed. The max length that the pack can be is 66mm+/-.5mm. The axially boarded packs are usually 68mm.

The original 2900mah packs were custom made for Hasselblad/Fuji and contained two Panasonic NCR18650A cells, with a nominal capacity of 3100mah. This allowed the packs to seem to have a higher than normal battery life by underrating. By the time the cells wore down to 2900mah capacity, they'd be "normal" if tested.

After looking at cells and balance boards, the cost to make my own packs was fairly high for the few assemblies I'd end up making. So it didn't make sense to buy a spot welder for the batteries and soldering the cells is a very touchy operation, as the slightest overheating can ruin the lithium matrix. Even though I have all the proper gear to solder, it would be better to find a manufacturer that could just make a pack for around the same price. So, I sought out different manufacturers to create a pack and most are in China with minimum orders of over 500 pieces. Plus, I also wanted to be sure the packs were made with a quality/authentic cell, not some knockoff.

So, I've been working with Battery Space/AA Power out of California and over a few weeks of sending them specs and pics, they said they could create the packs one piece at a time. After some more requests, such as side exit wiring, a larger protector circuit, and a slightly higher current capability, as well as a laterally mounted balance board, they ended up adding the custom pack to their catalog to make the custom order easier. The new pack uses a set of LG INR18650 MJ1 cells, which are rated nominally for 3500mah and my analyzer reports a capacity of 3610mah new. The nominal voltage is also a hair higher of .035v per cell, but since a fully charged 2s1p cell pack is around 8.45v, won't make a difference.

The new cells have been installed in my packs and they are working great. The camera actually operates a bit smoother and of course, lasts quite a bit longer.

In case somebody wants to upgrade their own packs, here's the details:
   1. The packs are $45.45 each, but for each shipment, you have to pay a class 9 hazmat fee of $37 (doesn't matter if it's 1 or 10+ packs) and the usual tax/shipping. Takes about a week to custom make the packs, and then another few days as class 9 can only be shipped ground. Packs: https://www.batteryspace.com/custom-li-ion-18650-battery-7-27v-3-5ah-25-44wh-4-2a-rate-2s-s-inr18650mj1.aspx

The new pack (white pack) is at the top, the old at the bottom in the attached picture.   

2. The connector on the end is a standard "BEC" or JST/RCY connector, common for drone battery packs. I ordered mine without the connector, as I have tools and parts to crimp my own. For an additional $2-3 dollars a pack, they will add the connector onto the end for you, making the pack plug-n-play. You'll need to have them add a BEC/JST-RCY connector, female, with pin 1 positive. Keep the leads short, somewhere around 2-3" from the pack. Here's their page on the connector: https://www.batteryspace.com/connectoradaptor2pcsbecfemaleconnector6long22awg.aspx   

Measure the lead length of yours and add to your order notes the length you'd like to have them add a connector.

Installation instructions in the next post...

docholliday

And here's the process:
   1. Open the grip by using a spatula, guitar pick, or butter knife to slide under the top inlay. Don't go too deep. There's a bit of glue along the long edge so you may have to slide around a bit to break the glue. You can see the glue ridge also in the closing picture on this post...

2. Slide out the insert and remove the battery. Unplug the JST connector. BE CAREFUL that you don't break the connector wire to the board, or you'll have to resolder it! The battery is held into the casing by a thin layer of silicone caulk on the bottom. Use a pencil or wooden dowel to rock the battery a bit and it'll come out. Then, use something to scrape the remaining caulk out and blow out with some canned air or a compressor to ensure that you'll have all the possible space for the new, higher capacity cells.

* As a side note, if you have the gear to solder properly, as I have with a microscope and multiple stations, this would be a good time to check and/or touch-up the solder joints on those wires. I found some crusty solder on mine, probably due to age and the stupid lead-free crap. So, I removed the solder and added fresh leaded 63/37 solder to the joints.

3. I found a crack one of my grip casings...inspect and see if you find any. I fixed this with a layer of UV adhesive, which is as hard as glass. You can also use some epoxy or fiberglass to fix cracks. The liquid runoff you see is Loctite 770...nothing to worry about.

4. Reassemble the pack. Be careful not to stress the male side (white connector) where it solders to the little charge control board. The insert may have a set of ridges underneath the top contacts that keep the insert from sliding all the way down. I had to use a scalpel and shave a bit of these two "ribs" off.

5. Perform a two button reset on the pack, then charge overnight using the "newer" charger! It will take longer than normal as the capacity is higher. LiOn terminates the charge based on current and the cells will top off correctly, just takes longer to do so. The autofocus on my camera is snappier, the AF illuminator is crisper, and the camera lasts longer.

NickT

Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Alex

Thanks Doc for sharing this (we could do with DC power to the X system if you ever get the chance) ;D

Nick, could you send this / make a copy to tips and tricks when it's settled (for easier find in the future) please, thanks.

Alex

docholliday

Thanks Nick, for moving this to a sticky. Hopefully, it'll help somebody in the future!

Here's a few more images of the original cell measurements, in case somebody wants to create even better cell packs in the future when better cells become available.

Stella

Fantastic help for this common problem. Sadly we have few of your type of suppliers in the UK, and though I have the same thing going on with mine, it's a lot harder to source alternative components.
I did locate and approach the firm who supply Hasselblad with their batteries, but they just ignored me!

I'm quite surprised that the Chinese have yet to produce Hasselblad battery knockoffs. Looks like there would be a profit in it for them.

Max Auberon

Quote from: docholliday on August 19, 2020, 05:39:33 AM
TL;DR: Hasselblad 2900/3200 H batteries can be easily upgraded to 3500mah for around $50 per pack (plus a $37 hazmat fee per order)...

For a while now, I've been looking for a replacement cell/pack to update the 2900/3200mah Hasselblad H5/H6 batteries. These batteries don't have anything special to them, containing only a pair of 18650 lithium cells, a cell balance board, and a charge controller board. So to me, the high cost of a new retail pack at ~$300 is not cost effective. And, of course, buying used packs is a shot in the dark, since one doesn't know how badly the pack was treated, how many charge cycles that pack has already been through, and the true remaining capacity of the cells. Well, at least without taking one apart and placing the cell pack on an analyzer. And, which can only occur after buying the pack, so I didn't want the headache of having to go returning it.

Here's my notes on how I did mine, in case somebody else out there wants to get "new" packs for a fraction of the cost. Two packs with shipping/tax/class 9 fee ended up slightly less than $150. I've fixed/upgraded two packs for 1/2 the cost of a new OEM pack! I hope this helps somebody and saves them some money!

Most lithium pre-made packs have their charge balance board applied axially to the end of the pack, so it's too tall to fit into the grip. The balance boards on these need to be laterally installed. The max length that the pack can be is 66mm+/-.5mm. The axially boarded packs are usually 68mm.

The original 2900mah packs were custom made for Hasselblad/Fuji and contained two Panasonic NCR18650A cells, with a nominal capacity of 3100mah. This allowed the packs to seem to have a higher than normal battery life by underrating. By the time the cells wore down to 2900mah capacity, they'd be "normal" if tested.

After looking at cells and balance boards, the cost to make my own packs was fairly high for the few assemblies I'd end up making. So it didn't make sense to buy a spot welder for the batteries and soldering the cells is a very touchy operation, as the slightest overheating can ruin the lithium matrix. Even though I have all the proper gear to solder, it would be better to find a manufacturer that could just make a pack for around the same price. So, I sought out different manufacturers to create a pack and most are in China with minimum orders of over 500 pieces. Plus, I also wanted to be sure the packs were made with a quality/authentic cell, not some knockoff.

So, I've been working with Battery Space/AA Power out of California and over a few weeks of sending them specs and pics, they said they could create the packs one piece at a time. After some more requests, such as side exit wiring, a larger protector circuit, and a slightly higher current capability, as well as a laterally mounted balance board, they ended up adding the custom pack to their catalog to make the custom order easier. The new pack uses a set of LG INR18650 MJ1 cells, which are rated nominally for 3500mah and my analyzer reports a capacity of 3610mah new. The nominal voltage is also a hair higher of .035v per cell, but since a fully charged 2s1p cell pack is around 8.45v, won't make a difference.

The new cells have been installed in my packs and they are working great. The camera actually operates a bit smoother and of course, lasts quite a bit longer.

In case somebody wants to upgrade their own packs, here's the details:
   1. The packs are $45.45 each, but for each shipment, you have to pay a class 9 hazmat fee of $37 (doesn't matter if it's 1 or 10+ packs) and the usual tax/shipping. Takes about a week to custom make the packs, and then another few days as class 9 can only be shipped ground. Packs: https://www.batteryspace.com/custom-li-ion-18650-battery-7-27v-3-5ah-25-44wh-4-2a-rate-2s-s-inr18650mj1.aspx

The new pack (white pack) is at the top, the old at the bottom in the attached picture.   

2. The connector on the end is a standard "BEC" or JST/RCY connector, common for drone battery packs. I ordered mine without the connector, as I have tools and parts to crimp my own. For an additional $2-3 dollars a pack, they will add the connector onto the end for you, making the pack plug-n-play. You'll need to have them add a BEC/JST-RCY connector, female, with pin 1 positive. Keep the leads short, somewhere around 2-3" from the pack. Here's their page on the connector: https://www.batteryspace.com/connectoradaptor2pcsbecfemaleconnector6long22awg.aspx   

Measure the lead length of yours and add to your order notes the length you'd like to have them add a connector.

Installation instructions in the next post...

Hey all! Sorry to revive an old thread here.

This information from docholliday is extremely useful. However, those of us in Europe may encounter tricky/expensive experiences importing these custom made lithium cell packs from the US.

After some quick googling, I did quickly run in to some pre-made packs available for purchase here in Europe, which appear to fit the requisite specs of the higher capacity H system grips perfectly:

https://gb.foxbuying.com/7-2-v-7-4-v-8-4-v-18650-lithium-battery-2600-ma-rechargeable-battery-pack.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu-KiBhCsARIsAPztUF1I7YMPGT2umpwGrXo7Cd-gllEY1gxPCqNhZizvWnugyEbJy076KbcaAuLpEALw_wcB

https://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/7.4V-Lithium-Li-Ion-18650-2200mAh-2S1P-Emergency-Ceiling-Light-Battery-2118.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu-KiBhCsARIsAPztUF3IQnSRG3Dox5YYRNje7xMnCVxt6ZFi7anuqEsS3PrH5QlBzVNTTdIaAoCwEALw_wcB

The dimensions are but a mm off those presented by docholliday of the original cells contained within these grips, and in one case they are advertised as a pair of '18650' cells, the same Panasonic type used in the original grip.

More googling reveals multiple sellers around the world selling such pre-made cell packages. Of course, I'm assuming that these are likely to be knock-off items from no-name producers, and the more expensive variants are likely to be higher quality etc, and the cells may have a worse life time than Hasselblad's originals.

BUT, if I was to install these in my packs, is there any reason to believe that they wouldn't work? Difference in control board on the cells? A difference in how the cell/camera each interpret 'full' causing the camera to emit the low battery warning pre-emptively? And I'm assuming that it's desirable to use a cell which has overcharge protection and/or a battery management system?

I'm going to give it a go anyway, but I thought I'd leave these links here for others. If anyone does have any insight on my questions, it would be much appreciated!

And, on another note, for the older 1850 grips, I've found these links to pre-made cells which appear to fit the spec perfectly, also:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32839427988.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000332472785.html

One user on a getDPI thread many years back reported that a battery meant for a Casio NP-100 camcorder seemingly worked, too. New units can still be purchased:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Replacement-Camera-Camcorder-Battery/dp/B06Y2C3VW6/ref=sr_1_2?crid=NKGVF97SWMKN&keywords=casio+np-100+battery&qid=1683732318&sprefix=casio+np-100+battery%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-2

And finally, if anyone is looking to get rid of any dead H grips, I'd be happy to purchase them at a fair price  :) .

Thanks all for your help.

Best,

Max
Director @ Streetwork Magazine, London. Works below.

https://www.maxauberon.com/

https://www.instagram.com/auberonfilm/

https://www.youtube.com/@MaxAuberon

www.streetwork.tv

docholliday

Quote from: Max Auberon on May 11, 2023, 03:27:55 AM

This information from docholliday is extremely useful. However, those of us in Europe may encounter tricky/expensive experiences importing these custom made lithium cell packs from the US.

After some quick googling, I did quickly run in to some pre-made packs available for purchase here in Europe, which appear to fit the requisite specs of the higher capacity H system grips perfectly:

https://gb.foxbuying.com/7-2-v-7-4-v-8-4-v-18650-lithium-battery-2600-ma-rechargeable-battery-pack.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu-KiBhCsARIsAPztUF1I7YMPGT2umpwGrXo7Cd-gllEY1gxPCqNhZizvWnugyEbJy076KbcaAuLpEALw_wcB

https://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/7.4V-Lithium-Li-Ion-18650-2200mAh-2S1P-Emergency-Ceiling-Light-Battery-2118.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu-KiBhCsARIsAPztUF3IQnSRG3Dox5YYRNje7xMnCVxt6ZFi7anuqEsS3PrH5QlBzVNTTdIaAoCwEALw_wcB

The dimensions are but a mm off those presented by docholliday of the original cells contained within these grips, and in one case they are advertised as a pair of '18650' cells, the same Panasonic type used in the original grip.

More googling reveals multiple sellers around the world selling such pre-made cell packages. Of course, I'm assuming that these are likely to be knock-off items from no-name producers, and the more expensive variants are likely to be higher quality etc, and the cells may have a worse life time than Hasselblad's originals.

BUT, if I was to install these in my packs, is there any reason to believe that they wouldn't work? Difference in control board on the cells? A difference in how the cell/camera each interpret 'full' causing the camera to emit the low battery warning pre-emptively? And I'm assuming that it's desirable to use a cell which has overcharge protection and/or a battery management system?

I'm going to give it a go anyway, but I thought I'd leave these links here for others. If anyone does have any insight on my questions, it would be much appreciated!

And, on another note, for the older 1850 grips, I've found these links to pre-made cells which appear to fit the spec perfectly, also:

One user on a getDPI thread many years back reported that a battery meant for a Casio NP-100 camcorder seemingly worked, too. New units can still be purchased:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Replacement-Camera-Camcorder-Battery/dp/B06Y2C3VW6/ref=sr_1_2?crid=NKGVF97SWMKN&keywords=casio+np-100+battery&qid=1683732318&sprefix=casio+np-100+battery%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-2

And finally, if anyone is looking to get rid of any dead H grips, I'd be happy to purchase them at a fair price  :) .

Best,

Max
Those packs that you list won't work - the cells may be within size (all 18650s will be +/- 1mm), but the balance boards are at the end. You can see it in the images where there's a dimple at the wiring end of the heat shrink wrap. That will push it way over the size to fit. I had a pile of different versions of those packs that I looked at before having custom packs made. The balance boards needs to be placed in the side, between the cells, for it to fit in the grips natively. The best way to get ones that fit perfectly is to find a company in the EU that produces custom packs and have them make it for you. It took a while for me to find the place here in the US to do the work and have the right components at hand.

Remember that those grips are structural - meaning that they are a physical component of the camera. You don't want the pack coming apart on you while you are holding the camera!

That Casio pack could have some 18500 cells in it. That would be short enough to fit, but not enough capacity for the new grips. Older ones, probably, but I don't want to take the time to rebuild old ones - I want more capacity with the rebuild, not less. You'd still have to cut apart the pack and hope that it's not a prismatic pack. Either way, if it's 18500s, it'll be 150mm shorter, but less capacity.

Max Auberon

Quote from: docholliday on May 11, 2023, 04:55:00 AM
Quote from: Max Auberon on May 11, 2023, 03:27:55 AM

Best,

Max
Those packs that you list won't work - the cells may be within size (all 18650s will be +/- 1mm), but the balance boards are at the end. You can see it in the images where there's a dimple at the wiring end of the heat shrink wrap. That will push it way over the size to fit. I had a pile of different versions of those packs that I looked at before having custom packs made. The balance boards needs to be placed in the side, between the cells, for it to fit in the grips natively. The best way to get ones that fit perfectly is to find a company in the EU that produces custom packs and have them make it for you. It took a while for me to find the place here in the US to do the work and have the right components at hand.

Remember that those grips are structural - meaning that they are a physical component of the camera. You don't want the pack coming apart on you while you are holding the camera!

That Casio pack could have some 18500 cells in it. That would be short enough to fit, but not enough capacity for the new grips. Older ones, probably, but I don't want to take the time to rebuild old ones - I want more capacity with the rebuild, not less. You'd still have to cut apart the pack and hope that it's not a prismatic pack. Either way, if it's 18500s, it'll be 150mm shorter, but less capacity.

Ah I see, thanks very much for your help!

I'll heed your advice and try find something smaller/under capacity. I'm in the mind of doing this as cheaply as possible, having 4 working cells that last 2/3rds the time isn't an issue for me, providing it's more cost effective.

Director @ Streetwork Magazine, London. Works below.

https://www.maxauberon.com/

https://www.instagram.com/auberonfilm/

https://www.youtube.com/@MaxAuberon

www.streetwork.tv

NickT

This thread has become more relevant than ever now that you can no longer buy new battery grips or anything else!
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

docholliday

Quote from: NickT on May 12, 2023, 10:38:54 AM
This thread has become more relevant than ever now that you can no longer buy new battery grips or anything else!
I agree! Especially for those of us who have no use for the X system (can't work with mirrorless), having power for our H bodies will keep them going for hopefully years. When I posted this originally, I was looking for a company who would build them in the US and use quality parts. The problem with ordering Chinese builds is the questionable components - just because it says a certain brand doesn't mean it's not counterfeit.

Years ago, there was a capacitor scandal with Nichicon where an ex-employee stole some of the electrolyte formula and made knockoffs. They looked the exact same, but what they didn't realize was that the formula they had was missing a few components. The counterfeit caps hit a lot of companies, including Dell, IBM, and Sony. A few years later, these "Nichicon" caps started to pop, leak, and experience premature failures. A lot of well-known computer motherboards got hit by this scandal. I had a lot of work pulling and rebuilding high-end server boards and other electronics that were destroyed by these.

Well, having the packs built by a real company that makes them in the US and ships directly says a lot. That, and not having to wait months to get something.

I just checked the link to Battery Space and they still have it listed, with build-on-demand, so hopefully, we'll be able to keep our H bodies powered for a while in the future!

Alex

Indeed +1
This has (been for me ) and seems to continue to be a resource for the H system.
I also appreciate whoever it was who suggested adding numbering to one's batteries so as keep them all on a healthy rotation.