Opinions on XCD 2,8/65mm Lens

Previous topic - Next topic

Bejazz68

I've just purchased an ex-display XCD 65mm lens unseen  via the internet and I'm a little worried that I might not like it, though I have two weeks grace to return it should I really not like it. I was wondering whether people here think I will love it or loathe it? What do those who have had one for a while think and has anybody used one on both an X1D (II) and also an X2D yet? i.e. Is the focusing any quicker with the X2D?

To give you a little background, I've just traded all of my Leica M and SL gear plus a mint Hasselblad 503 C/W for an X2D and the following XCD lenses; 3,5/30, 2,5/38V, and the 3,5/120 Macro. I've had an 2,5/55V on order for over a month but it's looking like it's a complete guessing game to when it arrives. I was contemplating getting a 4/45P but decided on the 2,8/65 for portraiture and landscape, also to bridge the gap between 38mm and 120mm. My Leica gear included an 18mm, 35mm Summilux FLE, 50mm Summicron, 90mm Elmar with Macro converter, M lenses and I also had a 24-90 SL zoom. I mostly shoot people and landscapes, but occasionally photograph products and abstract still life items.

Am I going to be frustrated with the focusing of the 2,8/65mm, or should it be okay on the X2D? I appreciate that it's almost twice the weight of the 55V but I think I'd rather have the security of the weather sealing. I look forward to your responses and I will hopefully be posting some images after it arrives tomorrow. Thanks!

tenmangu81

I have an X1D II only, and I didn't try with an X2D, but the XCD65 is a very good lens. The MTF curves are slightly better than the XCD55V ones, and there is almost no distortion. AF looks fine, even if a little bit slower when compared with the XCD55V. The only problem I find is its weight and dimensions.
Robert

fcarucci

I'm really enjoying the 65 so far: IQ is superlative and it focuses ok on the X2D. Bokeh is not the best I've seen, but it's totally acceptable.

ashdown

The 65 is a great lens. Think of it as being like a 50mm APO Summicron. If you feel it is too slow to focus then medium format might not be a good fit for you as relative to others it isn't at all slow.

Bejazz68

Thanks everyone for offering your opinions, I received it yesterday and have only just had a chance to take a dozen shots. The sharpness is stunning and the rendering is lovely, focus is spot on and quick enough for what I need.  Steve, I actually meant autofocus hunting, as well as ease of manual focusing. I still shoot medium format film with a couple of Bronicas and a Mamiya C330, so I'm quite accustomed to the methodical approach of MF photography. Unfortunately I had to sell my Hasselblad 503 C/W and lenses together with my Leica gear, including Q2 to fund the X2D and XCD 30, 38, 65 and 120mm lenses. I don't regret it for a minute though. John

Here's a shot I took of a friend of mine with the XCD 2,8/65 in the doorway of his antiques shop.

Michael H. Cothran

I own just about all the XCD lenses. I can truthfully say the 65 lens is one of my favorites.
Bad news -
1.The AF speed is middle-of-the-road at best. It's somewhat noisy, and does NOT have internal focusing. The front element zooms in & out rather abruptly as you focus. Of course, none of the XCD lenses will ever win an award for AF speed, but you should presume & accept this when you buy an X camera. The 65 does find the focus point very  accurately though.
2. It is heavy. Noticeably so. But it does balance well on the X bodies. I've carried it around all day with a shoulder strap, with no concerns. But if you're expecting the light weight characteristics of the new V lenses, forget it!

Good news -
1. This lens is sharp. Period!
2. The 65 is the most versatile of all my XCD lenses. No matter what my subject matter may be, I can find a way to use the 65. It is as useful in the studio as it is in the field. For tripod work or for walk-about use. With & without strobes. Landscapes, architecture, portraits, you name it, the 65 is right at home. In fact, I would not leave home without it.

alextsayun

My primary lens on X1DII is very sharp and has a nice bokeh. As mentioned above it is a bit heavy. I have thoughts of trying to change to 55v only because of its weight but everything else suits me.

TimH

Until I got the new 55v lens, the 65 was by far my most-used lens, even more than either of the lighter 45s.  Sharp, not too heavy, not too slow. 

Photon42

I like my 65 very much. I prefer the 65 over the 55 just for the 10mm more. Longer is better, guys  8) My most used combination is the 38 with the 65. It is a little more heavy than maybe needed, but that is the only thing slightly negative I can say about it. No lens hood required. Fast enough AF (in the Hasselblad X world). You can also add an extender for close ups and the quality is still good enough. On top of that is is relatively inexpensive, especially if bought used.

man-overboard

What sort of extender? Certainly not the 1.7 which if for the 135mm only.

JCM-Photos

I guess for close-up's it's extention tubes !
Sharpen your eyes not your files

flash

Quote from: Photon42 on March 06, 2023, 07:00:17 AM
I like my 65 very much. I prefer the 65 over the 55 just for the 10mm more. Longer is better, guys  8) My most used combination is the 38 with the 65. It is a little more heavy than maybe needed, but that is the only thing slightly negative I can say about it. No lens hood required. Fast enough AF (in the Hasselblad X world). You can also add an extender for close ups and the quality is still good enough. On top of that is is relatively inexpensive, especially if bought used.

The 65 is one of my least used lens, which is weird because I love a 50 (equiv). It's because I have the 80 which I combine with the 55 or 38, depending on the day. My single lens walk around is the 55. I'm very fond of that lens.

Gordon

Photon42

Quote from: man-overboard on March 06, 2023, 07:50:34 AM
What sort of extender? Certainly not the 1.7 which if for the 135mm only.

Just a 20mm extension tube No optics. I think it is this one here: https://fotodioxpro.com/products/macrotube-auto-xcd20

man-overboard

Bejazz68

I'm really happy with the sharpness and the rendering of the XCD 65mm lens, saving £1500 on a 55V is a bonus, though I could still be tempted when it eventually lands in the stores. I've managed to take a few more photos with the 65mm now, whilst not a great photo, this one was shot through a glass window, as you can see from the reflection of a Belisha beacon on the young lady's face. I'm really taken aback by the clarity of the details in the files, they are jaw-droppingly stunning! See a larger size image here. https://www.flickr.com/photos/belgianjohn/52727954559/sizes/6k/