Canon TS-E 24 on X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

strohscw

Good morning together,
I am coming from full format photography and would like to enter medium format photography with the upcoming X1Dii.
I read a lot of the camera in preparation and the possibility also to use my Canon TS-E 24 lens on the X1D. And there is on question it would be great to be answered in advance:
The TS-E 24 image circle for sure is big enough for the sensor of the X1D, but is the construction (cutout) of the lens back mechanic big enough for the sensor size or might some dark edges come from the fact that the lens housing was designed for the smaller sensor?
It would be great if someone has checked this out, because if this is the case I wouldn´t buy such an expensive adapter.

Good light and greetings from Austria

Wolfram

Vieri

Hello Wolfram,

while I don't have one, I have seen images taken with it on the X1D and they show no vignette at all. More, you still can use some shift (6-8mm). Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Proud Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters and NYA-EVO bags | ABIPP
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/

strohscw

Thanks Vieri for Your fast answer!

MGrayson

I use the 24 TS-E on the X1D. It works well, although f/11 is required for corner sharpness when shifting. The adapter causes some vignetting at about the same shifts that the image circle does. As Vieri said, 8mm shift works fine. At 10mm, there is visible darkening in the corners, but it can probably be dealt with in post.

If used carefully, the 21mm with perspective correction and cropping in post permits the same images, and is smaller and has AF. But I still use the larger, heavier, optically (slightly) inferior Canon, as I like the FoV and perspective control.

Matt

Vieri

Quote from: strohscw on July 16, 2019, 08:12:12 PM

You are welcome, glad to help :)

Quote from: MGrayson on July 16, 2019, 11:00:54 PM
I use the 24 TS-E on the X1D. It works well, although f/11 is required for corner sharpness when shifting. The adapter causes some vignetting at about the same shifts that the image circle does. As Vieri said, 8mm shift works fine. At 10mm, there is visible darkening in the corners, but it can probably be dealt with in post.

If used carefully, the 21mm with perspective correction and cropping in post permits the same images, and is smaller and has AF. But I still use the larger, heavier, optically (slightly) inferior Canon, as I like the FoV and perspective control.

Matt

Hey Matt, could you share your opinion on sharpness without shifting the 24mm TS? :) I have seen great results, better than the 17 TS. Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/

MGrayson

Quote from: Vieri on July 16, 2019, 11:07:36 PM
Quote from: strohscw on July 16, 2019, 08:12:12 PM

You are welcome, glad to help :)

Quote from: MGrayson on July 16, 2019, 11:00:54 PM

Matt

Hey Matt, could you share your opinion on sharpness without shifting the 24mm TS? :) I have seen great results, better than the 17 TS. Best regards,

Vieri

Vieri,

I am preparing crops very much in the style of your reviews. if you have no objection, I can post corner and slightly off-center crops from f/3.5 to f/22. I'm working on shifted results, but the sun has to move first!

The upshot for the unshifted corner is that f/3.5 is noticeably messy. F/5.6 is usable. Much better at f/8, but even some improvement from f/8 to f/11. f/11 and f/16 are essentially perfect, and then slight softening at f/22. The center shows a similar pattern, but starts much sharper - f/5.6 very good, f/8-f/16 excellent.

Matt

Upon further testing, the unshifted lens wide open simply has field curvature.

These comparisons show the effect of manual focusing to the corner. The corner is then quite sharp wide open, and retains that sharpness stopped down. The center, though is now soft, but cleans up stopped down.

Here's the full scene, unfortunately, with window guards:

Here is the corner, focused on the sign at f/3.5 shown at both f/3.5 and f/16

This is the center crop from the same captures as the previous pair without refocusing.

Vieri

Hello Matt,

thank you for your test and for sharing it with us, much appreciated :) Yes, it definitely looks like field curvature to me, but still perfectly usable stopped down. Thanks again!

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

MGrayson

Vieri,

My pleasure.

Best,

Matt

drunkenspyder

I recently had several very pleasant shooting sessions with the Nikon 19PC and the X1D. I agree with Matt that the 21 is a wonderful lens, and it is a go-to choice for me when I am shooting primarily landscape and looking to trim bulk and weight. But I have not been as happy using it for shooting subjects that benefit from perspective correction. I feel I lose too much image in post correcting for the distortion. I also happen to own a Canon 17TS, and just received the TechArtPro adapter. My impression of the 17 is that it is not as sharp when shifted as the Nikon, but that's been based on some very crude comparisons across unlike equipment and venues. I plan to try a comparison of the two lenses this week on the X1D in same location and time.

FirstLights

Just to add to the TS discussion ... the Schneider 35mm PA Curtagon causes severe hard vignetting on the X1D sensor already after a few mm shift so not really usable beyound full frame ...
Holger
FirstLights
Visit me at www.500px.com/firstlights

SeanRL

Just a thought...the Schneider is for a full frame 3:2 sensor rather than a 4:3 aspect.

Try selecting the 3:2 (24x36) crop in the X1D and then show us what you get in Phocus.

SeanRL

Well, I was thinking despite the 88mm image circle there may be a vignette resulting from an interior baffle in the lens (which doesn't interfere with the intended FF 3:2 aspect).

Baffle may be maximized to reduce internal reflections.

I may be wrong (you're saying it's 88mm and circular), but it seems consistent with your photos having vignette at top and bottom.

I know the Canon TS-E 24mm II has a 67.2mm image circle, but seems to have a vignette on the "wrong" side when shifted, presumably due to internal baffle (or adapter?).

Sean