Differences between H4, H5 and H6 bodies?

Previous topic - Next topic

tensor

Does anyone has a link or know what the differences are between the H4, H5 and H6 bodies? I would like to buy one, but it's a little bit difficult w/o  a technical description.

Thanks for any information or link

jerome_m

In a nutshell:
H4 and H5 are largely identical but the colour and design of some doors
H6 replaces firewire by USB and has a touch screen, video and faster sync with recent lenses.

A bit longer description: H5 introduced the first Cmos back (50 mpix, small sensor) and wifi connection. H6 only comes with cmos sensors.

Sensors:

x1.3 size, CCD: 31:H4D, 40: H4D/H5D
x1.3 size cmos: 50: H5D/H6D
x1.1 size CCD: 50: H4D/H5D
x1.0 size CCD: 60: H4D/H5D
x1.0 size cmos: 100 H6D

tensor

DavidH

Jerome covered the model differences very clearly.
If required... specific model information can be found in the latest manuals and firmware documentation are available at the Hasselblad site under the support tab at the bottom. The H4D can be found under the legacy section. I mention this as Hasselblad often improves the functionality (and operation) of all their cameras models over time via firmware.

tensor

Michael H. Cothran

There are also different size digital backs offered with each of these cameras. And they change. The H4D offered a 40mp, 50mp, and 60mp. All with CCD sensors. Not sure what offerings were available with the H5D, but the H6D only offers a 50mp & 100mp. Not counting the multishot backs, of course.

Note that the H4D body only had ISO values up to 800. And, IMHO, 400 & 800 were useless on the H4D due to excessive noise. The Cmos sensors in the H5D & H6D are far superior in higher ISO's.

Also, the H4D does not have a touch screen, nor is zooming in as easily done on the H4D LCD screen.

One other note I can think of - the standard battery that came on the H4D is not nearly as powerful as those made later for the H5D or H6D. That said, you CAN use later batteries on the H4D if you need to buy one or two, but you'll also want to update your charger with newer batteries. And a new H battery plus charger is NOT cheap.

If you can live with shooting @ ISO 100 or 200, no touch screen, and possibly replacing the original battery & charger with a newer, more powerful version, then the H4D would be the least expensive route to go. I owned one for 6 years, just selling it recently on Ebay.

DavidH

Just to tag on to Michael's post about H5D...

If you are thinking H5D, they came in many configurations including 40 (ccd), two 50's (cmos and ccd), 60MP(ccd) and of course MS models. If you are buying a used H5D make sure you ask lots of questions to ensure the seller knows what they are talking about as there a is a significant used price difference between H5d sub models (i.e.you might want to stick with an actual owner or HB cpo). Later H5D's tended to have the cmos 50 (referred to as H5D-50c) and usually had wifi, but you need to check as some didn't!

If you like higher ISO, wifi and don't mind the smaller physical sensor (and the associated longer equivalent focal lengths) then the later cmos 50 might be a good fit.

If you shoot low ISO's to CF card or Firewire, and lots of wide angle shots then ccd 50 or 60 might be a good fit. Note the 60 is a physically large sensor (significantly larger than the ccd 50 which is significantly larger than cmos 50) the 60 does slightly crop on some wide angles lenses but it would still have a wider field than a cmos 50MP.

jerome_m

Any omissions found in the list of sensors and cameras?

Sensors:

x1.3 size, CCD: 31:H4D, 40: H4D/H5D
x1.3 size cmos: 50: H5D/H6D
x1.1 size CCD: 50: H4D/H5D
x1.0 size CCD: 60: H4D/H5D
x1.0 size cmos: 100 H6D

desertdiver

Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on February 25, 2018, 07:31:00 AM
There are also different size digital backs offered with each of these cameras. And they change. The H4D offered a 40mp, 50mp, and 60mp. All with CCD sensors. Not sure what offerings were available with the H5D, but the H6D only offers a 50mp & 100mp. Not counting the multishot backs, of course.

Note that the H4D body only had ISO values up to 800. And, IMHO, 400 & 800 were useless on the H4D due to excessive noise. The Cmos sensors in the H5D & H6D are far superior in higher ISO's.

Also, the H4D does not have a touch screen, nor is zooming in as easily done on the H4D LCD screen.

One other note I can think of - the standard battery that came on the H4D is not nearly as powerful as those made later for the H5D or H6D. That said, you CAN use later batteries on the H4D if you need to buy one or two, but you'll also want to update your charger with newer batteries. And a new H battery plus charger is NOT cheap.

If you can live with shooting @ ISO 100 or 200, no touch screen, and possibly replacing the original battery & charger with a newer, more powerful version, then the H4D would be the least expensive route to go. I owned one for 6 years, just selling it recently on Ebay.

If I do remember properly the H4D-40 offered ISO values up to 1600 due to micro lenses over the sensor pixels, so ISO is/was usable up to values of 400.

Regarding the new more powerful battery (2900mAh) it can be used on the H4D, but there is a Firmware updated recommended in order to calibrate the battery capacity indicator ('fuel gauge'). The old charger can be used, but charging times will be longer.

Regards, Udo

Dustbak

Working tethered there is a big difference too.

The H4 is pretty solid but does give some hickups now and than. The H5 was already much more stable. The H6 is even a lot better.

The H4 uses FW800 where HB sells a hooked cable. So does the H5 however the connection is switched so a H4 cable is different from a H5 cable.

Some sources told me that the H5 body internally is really different than the H4. The H5 was actually a pretty substantial upgrade.

Now my H6 is another pretty big upgrade from the H5. I just wish HB would finish it...

anestesik

hahaha

is not True focus I or II a big difference between 4 and 5?

6 si totally different, non compatible platform with third party backs.

5 vs 4 has better electronics, less temperature inside gives cleaner files...

even I think there are mechanicals differences in the mirror slap.

larger batteries for 5, screen, wifi, etc....