Canon EF 500mm f/4L II + X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

rent

In case anyone's interested in how the Canon EF 500mm's image circle looks like on the X1D. Here they are. This is with the Kipon EF-XCD adapter, which had no problem changing the aperture, though IS did not work (didn't expect it to). It looks like a square crop would be usable.

The first image was at f/4, the second f/8. I also tested with the EF 1.4x III, the vignette is slightly worse.

Alex

Alex Jiang

Instagram

Michael H. Cothran

In some cases, as in the images above, you could probably also rely on Content Aware in PS to fill in the vignetted areas.

jstires00

I concur that this shouldn't be a rah-rah post but I gotta tell you, Alex, the photos on your site are breathtaking. Congratulations on 'perfecting' the craft.

jstires00

Does this mean that by using the Kipon adapter I can utilize my 'library' of Canon lenses with the X1D? Would the Hassy adapter allow them to connect as well, realizing, of course, that electrical contacts wouldn't be talking to one another?
Thanks
John

rent

John,

That's exactly what I'm doing. Still getting used to the electronic shutter. So many time I was shooting hand-held that I moved the camera too quickly after pressing the shutter that the image become distorted. Now I try to hold steady for a good second when using adapted lenses. No problem when on Tripod.

Not sure which Hassy adapter you were referring to. As far as I'm aware, Kipon and Cambo make EF-XCD adapters that allow you to control EF lenses' aperture. Fotodiox makes a purely mechanical EF-XCD adapter without aperture control (in this case you can set the aperture on an EOS body, then take off the lens).

Alex

Quote from: jstires00 on February 02, 2018, 08:21:29 PM
Does this mean that by using the Kipon adapter I can utilize my 'library' of Canon lenses with the X1D? Would the Hassy adapter allow them to connect as well, realizing, of course, that electrical contacts wouldn't be talking to one another?
Thanks
John
Alex Jiang

Instagram