iPad Pro and the X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

davidthescot

For many years I struggled with laptops, cables and extension cables, secondary monitors and power leads all to enable me to shoot tethered. Having now moved to an IPad and wifi I wondered why I ever needed to tether in the first place.  Well the first reason might be to be able to edit immediately but I never do.  The second reason might be to show a subject or an editor the work in progress but that is easier with the iPad.

I don't know what you all think but I have found the combination of wifi (without a network so it could be anywhere) and an iPad to be perfect for me and the new wifi enabled cmos cameras (H6 and X1D). 

I can check composition, critical focus and the look of the image and make changes right away whilst walking around the camera and subject without tripping over wires.

You are all probably already immersed in this and forgive me (a bit of a luddite) for a late arrival but for those who are not already connected up this way give it a try.

NickT

Thanks David for such an informative post. I don't think you are a luddite at all and I'm sure you will get people thinking.

Cheers Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Hassilistic

Absolutely, see you already made me think what in God's name is a Luddite... LOL!

A couple of months back, I purchased the iPad Pro for that purpose alone.
Excellent post, Cheers!

rem

I like also to shoot with the H6D and my iPadPro. I wish we could make a selection (stars) on the iPad!
Rem

ChrisMaldonado

I always shoot tethered on location and would love to go for a iPad Pro to check alignment and light instead of cable and computer... but I guess battery life will be strongly reduced, am I right? What about X1D battery life with wifi on all the time? Any tests done? Thanks

spb-ch

I used a cable connection of 2 metres Lightning to USB-C with a Gen. 5 iPad Cellular, works perfectly and I thought was fast.

Domip

Good question from ChrisMaldonado, how long does the batteries last of iPad Pro and X&H-bodies?

Hassilistic

I never run out of batteries during a planned well organised photoshoot.  Even though I keep a juicer ready for the iPad Pro, and a spare battery for my H5D.  I worry mainly more about my Broncolor Flash battery sets which I still keep a set of 2 pairs.

One key take away from my years in photography; Always have a back up plan for your back up plan!

spb-ch

Coming from Fujifilm and Leica, I can confirm that I could not believe how easily the iPad generation 5 that I have i.e. not a pro, handles files and connects to the X1D II ! I have never come across such easy process than with Hasselblad, so for one I thank the company for this. It works and is realtively fast to transfer, edit and that last part editing images on the iPad whilst I do not use that very much, it is very useful and being so easy it is something I would use. I think it is all about versatility, the more versatile the more pleasure one gets from using the equipment at one's disposal.

pss

Did my first serious session with the X1DII tethered to ipad yesterday and it really is pretty amazing, rock solid....i had some issues with the camera rear screen menus being unresponsive, not sure if that is camera or mobile2 but not a big deal either way...
The bottleneck still is that the files are then "stuck" on the ipad with no real post or export option since adjustments are lost and i don't consider jpeg a real option for post work...

pflower

I am thinking of going down this route as well.  But whilst I am pretty competent in LR Classic on my iMac iPads and iPhones are still pretty much a mystery to me.  So can I ask what exactly you do to get photos into LR Mobile on an iPad?  If I don't want to connect the two together via wifi is there a way to get photos from a shoot into the iPad (presumably through a card reader), edit in LR Mobile and then get them back onto my main computer and in LR Classic.

If you have the time a more detailed explanation of what steps you take technically would be most gratefully received.

Thanks

Quote from: davidthescot on January 10, 2018, 06:37:46 AM
For many years I struggled with laptops, cables and extension cables, secondary monitors and power leads all to enable me to shoot tethered. Having now moved to an IPad and wifi I wondered why I ever needed to tether in the first place.  Well the first reason might be to be able to edit immediately but I never do.  The second reason might be to show a subject or an editor the work in progress but that is easier with the iPad.

I don't know what you all think but I have found the combination of wifi (without a network so it could be anywhere) and an iPad to be perfect for me and the new wifi enabled cmos cameras (H6 and X1D). 

I can check composition, critical focus and the look of the image and make changes right away whilst walking around the camera and subject without tripping over wires.

You are all probably already immersed in this and forgive me (a bit of a luddite) for a late arrival but for those who are not already connected up this way give it a try.

spb-ch

We can now also export 3FR files from iPad Pro along with adjustments, when you then import on Mac, yes the adjustments are there in a new .FFF file.

The trick is to click the option Adjustment, click Use Embedded if available option in the Import dialogue.

JCM-Photos

Quote from: Domip on April 22, 2020, 06:45:36 PM
Good question from ChrisMaldonado, how long does the batteries last of iPad Pro and X&H-bodies?
It depends on your iPad configuration.

I use an old lightning iPad Pro 2018 that only runs in USB3 with a powered adapter that is connected on a power bank. When using it, I connect a big power bank and it lasts very very long.

Is there a possibility to connect also a power bank when using the USB-C port of recent iPads ?
Sharpen your eyes not your files

pss

Quote from: JCM-Photos on November 30, 2020, 01:11:13 AM
Quote from: Domip on April 22, 2020, 06:45:36 PM
It depends on your iPad configuration.

I use an old lightning iPad Pro 2018 that only runs in USB3 with a powered adapter that is connected on a power bank. When using it, I connect a big power bank and it lasts very very long.

Is there a possibility to connect also a power bank when using the USB-C port of recent iPads ?
if you get the magic keyboard for the iPad Pro, you get one port of the keyboard to charge the iPad and one on the iPad itself to tether the camera and yes, you can use USB C batteries/powerbanks....this setup also drains the camera battery slower since it charges while shooting

mtaillan_france

Bonjour,
IPAD 21 (non pro) et X1D "1" tout fonctionne mais je ne peux pas faire la mise au point avec le curseur en live view. Celui ci reste orange (au lieu de vert).
Bizarre.

Par ailleurs je croyais qu'on pouvait l'utiliser avec cable et ce n'est pas la cas, seulement en wifi. Est-ce normal ?