H6D Menu Settings

Previous topic - Next topic

ndwgolf

I will soon have my new H6D100c. I have been going through the online PDF manual and see that there are many options that can be customised, for example screen off timeout and power off time etc etc
So my question is can you guys that are used to Hasselblad, especially the H guys........ can you recommend some definite do's and dont's when it comes to setting up the menu..........and maybe some customisations that you set to make the operation of the camera smoother and a more enjoyable experiance ??

Neil

bdp

Hi Neil,

I guess it depends what you shoot but I love to assign mirror-up to the AEL button on the back. I don't use AEL but I often shoot still life tethered in the studio using natural light that requires slow shutter speeds that can be affected by mirror slap vibration. The factory mirror up button can be hard to reach.

I also often shoot with the camera pointing straight down, which confuses the auto orientation sensor. So I lock the orientation in the menu at 270° so my portrait orientation pictures don't appear on the screen as landscapes.

Ben

Buddy

There are many settings, and camera profiles by Phocus is still missing...

I have always Manual Focus mode enabled, but True Focus on True Focus button and Drive on the AEL-button (and AEL-function on the half pressed release button). This way you can always choose to manual focus or AF by True Focus or AF by normal AFS.
Also, set TrueExposure to On for "normal" circumstances, but OFF when a flash is involved and especially when that flash is dominant and shutter speeds is near or above 1/800 or 1/1000sec.
Btw, when in manual focus mode, True Focus is always fixed for next continuous shots (assuming the object does not move intermittently) until True Focus is pressed again or changing the manual focus ring.

I like to keep the mirror up function on the mirror up button by 1 press. 2 fast presses on this button brings up the timer function.

When in fast pace portrait shooting mode I like to switch off the automatic image preview (you still can manual press the arrow button to preview just a captured image intermittently) and also off is the overexposure ("blinkies") warning (you still can bring up the histogramm for selective check).

But there are more settings, reading the manual is a good help!

Also a goody is to use a large and fast Cfast card for storage. This is much faster storage than on the SD cards IMO.

And the icons on the back are movable; bring up those on the front page which you might use for specific and spontaneous setting changes. For example, the date/time icon, language and file quality icons should not be on the "front page" since theses and some others will never or rather seldom need some changes. Also not the format icon (for formatting you can use the hard button near the grip). These other icons are still available under the camera configuration icon or the general setting icon.
I have the following icons on the front page (not fully sure now, don't have the cam right with me...):
Wifi, Display, Image, Spirit level, Exposure, AF, Life View, Timer besides  the default camera, video and general icon underneath.

Would love to hear from other shooters for their major settings and the reason for such. That might be helpful information! Thanks!

Dustbak

Quote from: bdp on January 09, 2018, 04:46:26 PM
Hi Neil,

I guess it depends what you shoot but I love to assign mirror-up to the AEL button on the back. I don't use AEL but I often shoot still life tethered in the studio using natural light that requires slow shutter speeds that can be affected by mirror slap vibration. The factory mirror up button can be hard to reach.

I also often shoot with the camera pointing straight down, which confuses the auto orientation sensor. So I lock the orientation in the menu at 270° so my portrait orientation pictures don't appear on the screen as landscapes.

Ben

I do exactly the same. Especially rerouting the mirror-up to the AE-L button is helpful. Futhermore I don't use the release button to autofocus. I use the TF button for that. The release button is just the release button.

ndwgolf

Quote from: Dustbak on January 10, 2018, 01:35:52 AM
Quote from: bdp on January 09, 2018, 04:46:26 PM
Hi Neil,

Ben

I do exactly the same. Especially rerouting the mirror-up to the AE-L button is helpful. Futhermore I don't use the release button to autofocus. I use the TF button for that. The release button is just the release button.
So basically the same as back button focus on a DSLR??

Neil

Dustbak

Yes, you can do this with a DSLR too (Though most do not remove AF from the release button in that case)

ndwgolf

So my camera will be here on Monday. Can't wait to start using it. Thanks for all the tips.
Pictures to follow

Neil

cerett

It would certainly be nice to configure the H6 in Phocus. I have raised this issue several times in this forum. I find it incredible that Hasselblad has been unable to do this!

bgateb

Quote from: cerett on January 18, 2018, 05:27:39 AM
It would certainly be nice to configure the H6 in Phocus. I have raised this issue several times in this forum. I find it incredible that Hasselblad has been unable to do this!
this NEEDS to come in to Phocus sometime. It'd be nice to have custom profiles set in the H6, as it has been for the previous H cameras.