Tripods and heads for the X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

davidthescot

I have been using an Arca Swiss Cube and a Really Right Stuff 34L tripod when I had my H6D-100.  Rock solid but big and heavy and perhaps overkill for the smaller X1D.  I dislike the leg mechanisms on the Manfrotto range (190 etc).  I am just about to try a Vanguard Alta Pro because I like the way that the column can be swivelled.

I wondered if any had any other suggestions please?  In particular a small geared head that could replace the Cube?

Buddy

For X1D I use a Gitzo Traveller GT 2545 and an Arca Swiss Monoball p0 with a flip lock system. On the camera is a cameraplate Arca Swiss monoball fix variokit universal. That works very well, is stable enough and pretty light.

JoeC

I had the same dilemma and finalized on a RRS TVC-24L tripod and Arca-Swiss p0 Hybrid geared head. Both are well made, lightweight, and very versatile. If the fully collapsed length of the 24L is too long for you, the RRS TVC-24 is a good alternative.

Joe

davidthescot

Thank you for the advice.  I have ordered the Arca Swiss monoball hybrid as this seems to be the ideal head for what I do. 

Joe Marquez

I use a ten year old Gitzo GT1540 Mountaineer Tripod and Arca-Swiss Monoball P0. Works like a charm.

Hausen

As a long exposure shooter my tripod is overkill for X1D but it awesome. It is a Benro C4580T carbon fibre tripod. The thing I like most is generally I only need to open 2 of the 3 leg collars and being a big wide leg tripod this a fast and easy thing to do. Paired with a Novaflex NQ is have stable and comparatively light setup.

davidthescot

After a lot of thought I have gone for an Alta Pro 264CT with an Arca Swiss p0 hybrid geared head.  The RRS tripods are really good if expensive but I was attracted by the more flexible central column and light weight of this tripod. 

jcheld

I have a Benro Travel Angel FTA28CV1. Great for travel. I used to bring my Gitzo and RRS ball head with me to travel, but this unit is more compact and appears more stable. Integrated ball head is all you need, so nothing extra to buy.  Carry case is great and although I use RRS L Plate on x1d, it comes with an extra plate and spike leg accessories. I have a heavier RRS tripod at home, but This can't be beat for travel.

Hassilistic

Quote from: Buddy on January 06, 2018, 06:49:56 AM
For X1D I use a Gitzo Traveller GT 2545 and an Arca Swiss Monoball p0 with a flip lock system. On the camera is a cameraplate Arca Swiss monoball fix variokit universal. That works very well, is stable enough and pretty light.
Is an Absolutely Gorgeous Gitzo tripod +head specially when combined with the GH1382QD ball head and both for $860 is a great price point for getting.  Arca Swiss head you mentioned is okay, but not upto the level of Linhof 3D Micro Levelling Head Dove Tail For Precise Camera Adjustments.
For those of you who have never seen one before, the Manfrotto Neotec Pro is the Fastest deploying tripod in the world, and is a very unusual tripod with very unique features, amazingly still available and you can get one in BHphoto for $400+ https://www.manfrotto.com/neotec-pro-photo-tripod

Hassilistic

Generally, I never sell accessories, as cameras come and go, but a tripod can be used in a variety of ways to hold your Laptop, flash heads, back drops, sliders, future video camera (and those are very expensive), etc...

davidthescot

Well the whole thing came to nothing in the end.  The Arca Hybrid head arrived this morning and is on its way back to the supplier.  The so called flip lock failed to flip or to lock. Seeing the actual item it really is a hybrid and looks and feels very odd.

I have removed both my RRS tripod and the Cube C1 from sale and will put up with the weight when appropriate.  In my bag I have a super light Gitzo series 0 traveller with a small pro ball head for travel.  In the UK and locally I will lug the cube and the bigger tripod around.

My new Alta Pro with a simple ball head has been relegated to the corner of my studio to be used Ebay and other stuff.

In the end I don't think anything can touch the Cube (or its near imitators) and a strong Gitzo/RRS tripod.

Oh well!

Happy New Year and thanks for the suggestions.

hcubell

Quote from: davidthescot on January 10, 2018, 06:30:36 AM
Well the whole thing came to nothing in the end.  The Arca Hybrid head arrived this morning and is on its way back to the supplier.  The so called flip lock failed to flip or to lock. Seeing the actual item it really is a hybrid and looks and feels very odd

In the end I don't think anything can touch the Cube (or its near imitators) and a strong Gitzo/RRS tripod.

Oh well!

Happy New Year and thanks for the suggestions.

Can you expand a bit on what you didn't like about the P0 Hybrid (apart from the Flip Lock not working)? I have been thinking about ordering one.
Thanks.

JoeC

Quote from: hcubell on January 10, 2018, 07:10:40 AMCan you expand a bit on what you didn't like about the P0 Hybrid (apart from the Flip Lock not working)? I have been thinking about ordering one.
Thanks.

Howard, the Arca-Swiss flip lock is notorious for failing at just the wrong moment. I use the Arca-Swiss P0 Hybrid with the classic screw clamp and love it. I had used RRS lever clamps almost exclusively before migrating to the p0 Hybrid. The p0 Hybrid cannot be modified (even by Precision Camera) to take the RRS lever clamp. So you're stuck with either the Arca-Swiss flip lock or the classic screw clamp. I've become so accustomed to the classic screw clamp that I haven't looked back. The p0 Hybrid is my favorite tripod head of all time, combining a ball head with a geared head. Genius.

Joe

flash

My D4 geared head with classic clamp might just be the best photographic purchase I have ever made. I often use it with a Nodal slider for better balance or nodal stitches with my X1D.

I own various legs and just put the D4G on the legs I want to carry.

Gordon

hcubell

Quote from: JoeC on January 10, 2018, 08:46:34 AM
Quote from: hcubell on January 10, 2018, 07:10:40 AMCan you expand a bit on what you didn't like about the P0 Hybrid (apart from the Flip Lock not working)? I have been thinking about ordering one.
Thanks.

Howard, the Arca-Swiss flip lock is notorious for failing at just the wrong moment. I use the Arca-Swiss P0 Hybrid with the classic screw clamp and love it. I had used RRS lever clamps almost exclusively before migrating to the p0 Hybrid. The p0 Hybrid cannot be modified (even by Precision Camera) to take the RRS lever clamp. So you're stuck with either the Arca-Swiss flip lock or the classic screw clamp. I've become so accustomed to the classic screw clamp that I haven't looked back. The p0 Hybrid is my favorite tripod head of all time, combining a ball head with a geared head. Genius.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. I know you are a big fan of the P0 Hybrid, so I am tempted to buy it. I have a D4 Hybrid, but I have not really used it. It is an elegantly designed head. It's not so much the weight of the D4 Hybrid that puts me off, but rather the fact that I need to loosen three separate knobs to get close to where I want to set the head so I can then use the gears to fine tune the composition. When it's 5-15F below zero, that's 2 more knobs to loosen and tighten than I prefer. I am coming from a RRS BH-55.