Please Help Choose Me a Scanner

Previous topic - Next topic

Bashir Lunat

After buying SWC/M, I need a scanner and I have shortlisted 1) Canoscan 9000F and 2) Epson V800/850.
I cant afford CFV50C or flextight,Coolscan 9000ED etc.
There is a big difference in price between Canon and Epson. Is the Canon 9000F niticeably better than V850?
Thank you all for reading and replying.

Charles S

A big difference is that the Canon is limited to MF film, while the Epson can do LF.
I have the Canon and never thought I would needed more, until I got an 8x10 camera.

I also believe there is a version of the Epson scanners that supports wet scanning

Bashir Lunat

Quote from: Charles S on January 03, 2018, 04:16:48 AM
A big difference is that the Canon is limited to MF film, while the Epson can do LF.
I have the Canon and never thought I would needed more, until I got an 8x10 camera.

I also believe there is a version of the Epson scanners that supports wet scanning
Thank you very much Charles,
Are you happy with the scanning results? I do have a 5X4 (Calumat) bought about 25 years ago intending to use but never ever used it!

Miller

I use the wet mount accessory with the Epson V750 to scan 6x17 negatives. The same accessory can be used with the V850, as far as I know.
There is hardly any quality difference between wet mount and dry mount scans of large format negatives. There is a noticeable difference however when scanning 24x36 mm negatives.

ChrisL

The wet scanning accessory, free in the UK with the V850 but you need to call for it, it's not in the box, is useful for smaller negatives  as noted.

As a guide this extensive review compares the V850 to Plustek 120, Nikon9000ED, Imacon 848, Nikon 5000 and Minolta 5400 in a very practical way, all 89 pages including profiling. Bottom line is the V850 is good, very good, for the money especially. The Canon models do no seem to be covered in reviews I have seen.

http://luminous-landscape.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/The-New-Epson-V850-Pro-Scanner-Final.pdf

Charles S

Quote from: Bashir Lunat on January 03, 2018, 04:32:45 AM

Thank you very much Charles,
Are you happy with the scanning results? I do have a 5X4 (Calumat) bought about 25 years ago intending to use but never ever used it!

In only use the canon for 120 film. For 35mm I used to own a Pakon scanner, which can do a whole strip in one go, but I only rarely shoot 35mm these days. For the 8x10 I got a very cheap Umax scanner which has the coverage, but horrible Dmax. I prefer to contact print and then scan the prints.

For the 120 scans, I only do B&W and I use the canon with ANR glass on top of the negs. Even then it is hit or miss. I never really got the results that I was hoping for or that would make it worthwhile to continue to shoot analog. Not sure whether it is the specific scanner or whether any other flatbed would get better results. I have been eyeing old Imacon scanners.... it' is a bottomless pit.

Besides tonal range, etc etc, the biggest headache is getting reasonably clean scans. There is too much dust caking on to my negs as they are drying. I just pulled a dry cabinet off ebay, in the hope that it will improve the situation.

If I had to do it again i would probably save up for the Epson, so that i would have one scanner for MF and LF. Wouldn't deal with wet scanning, but it is nice to know that the option is there. But 1000 USD..... that's a lot to swallow for a device that I don't use very often.

Bashir Lunat

Thank you all, decided to settle with V850. Picking up tomorrow.

ChrisL

Noting the comment from Charles S on dust my Lab, who do my C41processing and scans I do B/W, recommend scanning as soon as dry certainly before sleeving and at the highest level of scan you think you may need, "the negatives will never be as clean again" .
I'm sure the V850 will do the job just take care on the 120 holders loading is critical they are a bit tricky to get the strip loaded properly but using museum glass on the negatives on the flat bed is not as good I have found as using the holders and spend a little time with the height adjustment it does make a considerable difference and on the V850 series more adjustment range is possible than on previous models. Once set it doesn't seem to need changing for that holder between films, you should get two 120 holders in the box worth checking each it's handy to load one whilst the other is scanning, if on a higher scan you'll still have some coffee drinking time in between.

Bashir Lunat

ChrisL
Many thanks Chris for the tips. All this is revolving aroung SWCm I bought recently. I suppose it should be fine for prints about 12"X12" if I ever print the shot I like.
There is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heidelberg-Professional-Scanner-Ratoc-SCSI-USB-2-Interface/142617846067?hash=item2134afa133:g:0kYAAOSwke9aTjdO also on ebay but it is too late as I already bought V850!

ChrisL

Seriously old kit that, I suspect software will be an issue needing an old version of Windows to run unless Vuescan supports and drivers will be an issue. Safer with new and and guarantee with parts backup, plug and play not plug and pray  ;)

Bashir Lunat

Quote from: ChrisL on January 03, 2018, 07:23:19 AM
The wet scanning accessory, free in the UK with the V850 but you need to call for it, it's not in the box, is useful for smaller negatives  as noted.

Chris, Should I just contact them for this kit?

Hassilistic

Quote from: Bashir Lunat on January 03, 2018, 03:43:00 AM
After buying SWC/M, I need a scanner and I have shortlisted 1) Canoscan 9000F and 2) Epson V800/850.
I cant afford CFV50C or flextight,Coolscan 9000ED etc.
There is a big difference in price between Canon and Epson. Is the Canon 9000F niticeably better than V850?
Thank you all for reading and replying.
16yrs with Epson, solid as a rock.  Get the latest and always use it with SilverFast software.  Bullet Proof!

ChrisL

Quote from: Bashir Lunat on January 07, 2018, 02:34:23 PM
Quote from: ChrisL on January 03, 2018, 07:23:19 AM

Chris, Should I just contact them for this kit?

Yes, I recall I sent them the Serial number and scan of the receipt, the box arrived quite promptly with no fuss.
The web Epson UK site seems to have been changed and is not helping but on Amazon reviews this customer bought in Sept 2017 and quotes the FAQ which is no longer there, I would ring in to UK support to clarify.

28 September 2017
Got mine today after seeing mostly positive reviews and couldn't find a better price than here & looking forward to getting it going.

Getting this vs. the V800 for £166.97 more seems a no brainer - better with LED technology hence faster startup, Dual Lens, extra set of holders and Silverfast SE Plus 8 instead if just SE 8. Also if you contact EPSON they will send a free Fluid Mount Accessory FOC whereas it costs £95 if you have the V800. The info on how to claim is in FAQ #3889 on the EPSON UK support website. Unfortunately it doesn't come with the Fluid or Mylar Film mentioned in FAQ #3272 that tells you how to use it.

Bashir Lunat

Thanks Chris and Hassilistic,
I will contact Epson UK on Monday.
PS: Members are more than welcome to use my fecilities.

Bashir Lunat

Chris, Many thanks for the free wet mounting tip.
I contacted Epson UK and according to Epson,I should have it by weekend.
Regards.