Auto adjustment in Phocus

Previous topic - Next topic

ndwgolf

Guys
Is the a way to make an auto exposure adjustment in Phocus similar to what you can do in ACR or lightroom..........and then after that tweak it

Neil

ndwgolf

Buddy

no, not to my knowledge. never seen something like that

ndwgolf

Quote from: Buddy on January 02, 2018, 07:12:19 AM
no, not to my knowledge. never seen something like that
Thanks Buddy, I can't see a way to do it either. Is it possible to import Hasselblad files directly into bridge and then send them to ACR or PPCC ??

Neil

NickT

I think Hasselblad like to think that their uses are "above" using "auto" :)

I find auto very useful in lightroom just to get an idea of what might be worth doing.

In Phocus I'll mostly just concentrate on endpoints, use the under/over exposure guides to see where your lightest/darkest points are and set those to your preferred end points, that and maybe a midtown bump usually gets me 90% of the way there, the final tweaks and sharpening I'll do in Photoshop on an 8 bit tif.

HTH
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

ndwgolf

Quote from: NickT on January 02, 2018, 12:16:29 PM
I think Hasselblad like to think that their uses are "above" using "auto" :)

I find auto very useful in lightroom just to get an idea of what might be worth doing.

In Phocus I'll mostly just concentrate on endpoints, use the under/over exposure guides to see where your lightest/darkest points are and set those to your preferred end points, that and maybe a midtown bump usually gets me 90% of the way there, the final tweaks and sharpening I'll do in Photoshop on an 8 bit tif.

HTH
can you import Hasselblad raw files directly into ACR?

ndwgolf

[/quote]can you import Hasselblad raw files directly into ACR?
[/quote]

Is it possible to work on Hasselblad files in ACR and Photoshop bypassing Phocus altogether ???

Neil

ndwgolf

Does anyone know where I can download a hasselblad raw file to practice on phocus

Neil

NickT

Yes you can open RAW files with ACR (So photoshop/Lightroom) and users report good results though Phocus still does a better job for colour and lens corrections IMO.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Domip

Why trying it otherwise then in Phocus??

Phocus has the best knowledge to get the most out your raw files and is made by insiders of Hasselblad's technology. The programmers there know their stuff and don't need to reverse engineer the raw files, like third parties have to do.

Phocus is the best way and is free! Up to you to learn it...

ndwgolf

Quote from: Domip on January 03, 2018, 10:17:06 PM
Why trying it otherwise then in Phocus??

Phocus has the best knowledge to get the most out your raw files and is made by insiders of Hasselblad's technology. The programmers there know their stuff and don't need to reverse engineer the raw files, like third parties have to do.

Phocus is the best way and is free! Up to you to learn it...
Yes Sir
I did try using Phocus last night with one of my Leica S007 DNG files and WOW it just popped without doing anything, the colors came to life and it was pretty much ready for the printer..........amazing
Any idea where I can download a 3f3 file to play with in Phocus??
Neil

ChrisL

Michael H. Cothran

Getting Hasselblad RAW files from memory card to ACR or LR is quite simple. Here's how I do it for ACR/LR:
Remove the card from the camera, place it in a card reader, and plug into a USB port on your computer. Download to your desktop. Note - you will be prompted as to where you'd like the files to go. For ease, I simply choose the Desktop. For ACR - Once they are on your Desktop, open Bridge, locate the new file folder you just created, then select Open in Camera RAW from the menu bar. For LR, choose Import from the Library, tell LR where the files are that you want to import, and choose Import again.That's it.
One important aspect to remember in LR is that if you move the folder from where you initially imported it, LR will NOT be able to find it. When I'm finished with my post processing, I move the files OFF my Desktop, and to a dedicated hard drive just for image storage. If I ever need to go back to LR again on one of the files (which is very rare), I have to re-import the file from its new location.

From a functional point of view, Phocus is VERY similar to ACR/LR, so switching from one to the other is not that difficult at all. I've used both for years. It may end up that there are certain aspects that you like better in Phocus, and certain things in LR that may be more to your liking. Then it becomes just a subjective choice as to which one you use.  But from an IQ point of view, I see no differences. AND...contrary to those who tout that only Phocus can give you lens corrections, LR offers you the very same corrections.