Buying second hand or new camera's

Previous topic - Next topic

ndwgolf

So I am in the market for a digital back camera for shooting landscape and pretty girls. The problem I am having with this is that the cost of a new digital back is as I am sure you are all well aware is pretty expensive. I have seen a few second hand ones that look okay but am I buying into someone else's problems............someone selling a dodgy camera isn't going to tell you that it has a problem with this or that, thats when the second hand car dealer comes out of you and you lay it on thick and fast.........."best camera Ive ever had" "works like a dream" that kind of punch line.

Okay if the second hand camera costs 3 to 5k then it might be worth the risk, but when it cost 20 to 30k and you live on the other side of the world then you are relying on whoever is selling to be open and honest with you.........a hard call when you have never met them, as there are many many honest and genuine people out there as well.

I know from my own experience that buying second hand Leica's (Ive never bought a second hand Leica) but Ive sold a few that were still under warranty, and as long as I have unregistered the product from me then the new owner can register it and continue with the comfort of having the warranty.......unfortunately it docent seem that way with all manufacturers !!!

I will continue scratching my head and try and figure out what is the best thing to do but after seeing 100mp images "I want and need 100mp images"

Neil

Charles S

I have been down this path; I first bought bought a used digital back for my V series and later a used H3D, and luckily did not have any issues (knock on wood). I would recommend that if you consider buying second hand you buy it from a reputable dealer with a 3-6 month return policy. I would study up on the backs that fall into your price range in terms of their limitations in use. ISO limitations, focusing issues etc.

Let us know how you get on

Dustbak

I have bought lots of MF equipment over the years. Some new but most 2nd hand. I have never encountered an issue (knock on wood). I just bought a H6D100 2nd hand. I had no doubt whatsoever mainly because I have done business with the seller before (both buying as well as selling from him). My experience is that most sellers are pretty trustworthy. It also depends where you are buying. Buying from someone on this forum I would feel a lot safer with than buying from someone that I do not know on Ebay for instance.

Goodluck!

ps. did you notice the H5D40 I have for sale  ;)

Ralf Mueller

Hi Neil,

there is also the option of Hasselblad CPO (Certified Pre Owned). Depending where you are located there are different offerings, the current CPO
list for US is here: http://hasselbladbron.com/cpo.pdf

Might want to check with you local HB dealer.

Regards,
Ralf

ndwgolf

So I'm down to the last two......maybe three

My Heart wants to go with the H6D 100c, but my head is saying Phase one CMOS 80 or 100mp.........and I really don't know why I am thinking like that!!!!
My current MF camera is a Leica S007 and I love that camera........but its only got 37mp. I have seen the quality of the images that come out of the H6D and they just blow the Leica away. At the end of the day I am just a regular guy that takes pictures for fun (Landscape and pretty girls).

I will get one of the above cameras in the next few days 

Am I missing anything in my thinking??

Neil

ndwgolf

Okay I have pulled the trigger and bought a new H6D-100c with the 50mm and 100mm orange dot lenses
Pictures to follow

Neil

Dustbak

You will definitely not be disappointed.

Bashir Lunat