X1D with Adapted Lenses

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeC

I just discovered that Fotodiox has adapters for the XCD mount advertised here. Now with Cambo, Kipon and Fotodiox in the mix with adapters for the X1D, I'd personally like to hear more from those who are experimenting with them. Which lenses have image circles large enough to cover the 44x33mm sensor without significant vignetting? How do the Canon TSE lenses perform? Matt Granger talks about the Otus 85mm mounted on the X1D with a Fotodiox adapter in this video. While I'm not a big fan of adapted lenses, I've used a couple (HC lenses with the X-H adapter) with success and always want to learn from those who have taken the plunge.

Joe

alex_tseli

Hello JoeC,

I've purchased Fotodiox Canon EOS adapter as I was on Canon in the past and tried it out on all my lenses. Very quick summary is that I am super happy with the adapter as I planned to use my portrait lenses and lenses with small DOF and it does what I wanted :) Some more details:

1. Canon 50mm 1.4 => slight vignetting (improves at f3.5), that is acceptable for portraits, perfect colors and sharpness, almost as sharp as XCD 45mm @ f3.5; Very interesting options for portraits
2. Canon 24mm TS => very little vignetting @3.5, didn't test it at smaller apertures as I didn't have a Canon body to set it (disadvantage of Fotodiox vs Cambo, but Cambo is 1000$+ and Fotodiox is just 160$). I'd use XCD 30mm if tilt/shift functions are not needed
3. Canon 135mm f2 => didn't test it long, but acts more like Canon 50mm 1.4 except for less vignetting
4. Helios 40 85mm 1.5 (old Soviet lens) => Portrait miracle - slight vignetting, not very sharp, but does what it needs to do - with a great dynamic range and iconic bokeh.
5. Canon 85mm 1.2 => no manual focusing available, so just did a couple of shots - looks great, but not really usable
6. Canon 16-35 f4 => Severe vignetting from 16mm to 19mm, need more time to understand if it is of any use or one should wait for XCD 21mm :)
7. Sigma 12-24 => surprisingly good after 18mm, very nice colors, almost as XCD 30mm, need more time to evaluate

General remarks (these were noted by Hasselblad when describing Electronic shutter feature, so no complaints here):

1. Banding artefacts on *any* king of artificial light = no indoor shooting (well, at least for me)
2. Rolling artefacts. To make a good shot one needs to hot the camera still after the shot for a second or so due to sensor readout lag (?). I didn't get it, but it is ok - even if the shutter speed is, say 1/2000, you need to hold the camera still.

If anyone is interested I can provide sample images :)

Cheers, Alexey

JoeC

Thanks Alexey. I'm particularly interested in how the tilt/shift lenses perform and would certainly appreciate some sample images.

Joe

alex_tseli

Here are some images, however, as I said before, TS was not the focus of my test, so I didn't handle these shots with care, but I hope it gives the idea on what to expect.

All images are exported at 85% JPG quality, no resize => https://www.dropbox.com/sh/61yp56gauri67zg/AADJc--I1AoQZnyqW4ZzUew3a?dl=0

20% sized here for reference

Canon 24mm TS, no ts, no post processing, f3.5 1/200 handheld

Canon 24mm TS, slight shift down, +1 exp in post processing, f3.5 1/640 handheld (both shots ISO 100)

Helios 40 85 f1.5 1/1000 ISO 100, handheld, slight decrease of highlights in post processing + WB correction + Sharpening

Canon 50 f1.4 1/200 ISO 400, handheld, slight decrease of highlights in post processing

JoeC

Thanks very much Alex. I look forward to more of your results and conclusions.

Joe

ferrantejohn

I worked with Fotodiox to create an expansive lens guide recently.  It is being discussed in another thread on this forum.  I will link it here. 

http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=5425.msg23560#msg23560

ferrantejohn

Quote from: alex_tseli on January 02, 2018, 09:16:51 AM
Here are some images, however, as I said before, TS was not the focus of my test, so I didn't handle these shots with care, but I hope it gives the idea on what to expect.

All images are exported at 85% JPG quality, no resize => https://www.dropbox.com/sh/61yp56gauri67zg/AADJc--I1AoQZnyqW4ZzUew3a?dl=0

These portraits have to be the sharpest photos a Helios has ever produced.  No weird ghosting or anything, that is incredible!

Dimitric

Hello Alex -

Thank you very much for your imags and tests...
Really appreciate.

- Dimitri