AF mechanism damaged on Macro 120mm

Previous topic - Next topic

siddhaarta

My short honey-moon with the 120mm Macro is over. I had to send it back to the dealer to request a refund.

The AF mechanism is broken after really not that heavy use during one week. There was a breaking noise when starting the camera. This is when the camera adjusts the AF to the standard position. Then the AF-motor spins eternally like empty without movements. This remembers me of the Leica S lens AF-problem where a small plastic part broke frequently.

I hope this is not a construction problem, but only an isolated incident. Nevertheless, for the moment I won't buy another lens, really tired of being a beta-tester.

sanglier

>:( I agree with you, after the crack of the memory card hatch, and the crazy dials, and the lenses that do not come, I stop and go to the NikonD850.
A professional can not stand this    >:( >:(

siddhaarta

I am rescuing this thread because I am interested to hear from you guys if anybody had a similar problem with the AF mechanism of the 120mm.

I thought that my problem was an isolated issue, but it seems not. In the B&H commentaries there are at least 3 other guys with the same problem. One even had the problem twice, including a replacement unit. Not encouraging at all.

Imagecrazy

Well, thanks for sharing your experiences with this lens and I hope it is resolved.  I was totally interested in this lens but now will hold off.  The 45 and the 90 are working for me.  No need to have more lenses for what I shoot.  For longer lenses, there are alternatives.  A shorter macro that doesn't have the problems the 120 has would be nice.

michael123

Indeed. My wife asked for the macro lens.. but I just read reviews @ B&H..
And will wait until Hasselblad reply..
For this price, such a poor reliability is nonsense

BostonBoy

Ditto. I was already in contact with my dealer this week getting a quote for the 120mm Macro given the 10% off Offer this week from Hasselblad, but the MANY reports on failed AFs on this particular lens made me re-consider. I wait for things to settle, or how the 135mm w/ TC turns out. Not that easy to part with ~4K hard earned money with that many reports of quality control issues, or worse, assumed design problems with this particular lens.

For now, the 90mm will have to do. On that it does:

Wade Smith

We have identified a problem that in some cases and with some lenses will cause the lens to move into the end stop with too high speed, sometimes causing damage to the gearbox. This problem does not occur with all lenses.

To solve this and prevent any damage to the gearbox, we are working on a new firmware for all XCD lenses that will stop this from happening. This new firmware will be released as soon as possible. All registered customers will get an automatic e-mail notification when the new firmware is available for download.

Any lens with a damaged gearbox, is of course covered by the standard warranty.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this.

michael123

Quote from: Wade Smith on February 24, 2018, 09:17:22 PM
We have identified a problem that in some cases and with some lenses will cause the lens to move into the end stop with too high speed, sometimes causing damage to the gearbox. This problem does not occur with all lenses.

To solve this and prevent any damage to the gearbox, we are working on a new firmware for all XCD lenses that will stop this from happening. This new firmware will be released as soon as possible. All registered customers will get an automatic e-mail notification when the new firmware is available for download.

So that's not a faulty construction, or even worse - design issue?

BradP

Wade, thanks much for the update on what's going on here.  I personally haven't yet had any problems but will be looking out for the update.  Used the lens today on AF quite a bit without issues, but probably going manual only until the update is out.  Good to know in the meantime. 

siddhaarta

Thanks for this information.

As this is your first post, Wade, and I do not know you, I would be interested to know, which position do you hold within Hasselblad. Also, will there be an official statement from Hasselblad? Seems this would be necessary.

Mikemcg19

I had the exact same problem with my 120mm after one week.  I seems it may be a quality control issue.  I am contemplating whether to purchase another.  It is very expensive.

Mr-Anderson

Same with mine! I got it repaired over the day.
I think they said it was not properly "tuned in"
Waitning for a FW update.

rent

Wade:

Does the XCD Firmware 0.5.16 released on Feb. 28, 2018 address the 120mm AF mechanism issue?

The release note states that it "solves a few minor bugs."

Alex

Alex Jiang

Instagram

Wade Smith

Hi, Alex

Yes, the 0.5.16 firmware includes a fix for the AF mechanism problem seen on a few XCD120 lenses.

Wade

Domip

Quote from: Wade Smith on March 06, 2018, 01:17:08 AM
Hi, Alex

Yes, the 0.5.16 firmware includes a fix for the AF mechanism problem seen on a few XCD120 lenses.

Wade
... but NOT for all of them ! Mine has to return to Sweden.